• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

#notajetboat

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
New toy. Childhood dream + something to cut my teeth on. Boston Whaler 23 Conquest with probably the worst engine Yamaha ever produced strapped to the back - the infamous 2004 300 HPDI. Also included a 4 month old trailer. Geared up with a Garmin 3210 w/ radar, autopilot, trim tabs, etc...

Really stole the boat. Presently (supposedly) runs well but won't plane. Dude says the dealer told him "they said that the yamaha 300 motor has 3 shift control switches. They said that the lower shift control switch is having problems and needs to be replaced. They said that the power head would have to be taken off in order to access the switch". He said the autopilot didn't seem to be working either, but I can't imagine it would work correctly if it doesn't even plane. Diag smells like BS to me, but I got it cheap enough even if I strapped a new F300 on the back, I wouldn't be in bad shape.

Regardless, I've always wanted a Whaler. My neighbor who was a real father figure to me growing up was a retired tech at the plant and never stopped talking about them and the company as a whole, so I just had to jump on this when it popped up. Probably just a temporary thing, likely sell it in the spring. I still have my eyes on a 270EC, and I don't think this boat will change that!

1.jpg 7.jpg 13.jpg

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If all goes according to plan, my Worldcat will be making it. ;) Unless I fall in love with this girl, then of course she'll be there.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New toy. Childhood dream + something to cut my teeth on. Boston Whaler 23 Conquest with probably the worst engine Yamaha ever produced strapped to the back - the infamous 2004 300 HPDI. Also included a 4 month old trailer. Geared up with a Garmin 3210 w/ radar, autopilot, trim tabs, etc...

Really stole the boat. Presently (supposedly) runs well but won't plane. Dude says the dealer told him "they said that the yamaha 300 motor has 3 shift control switches. They said that the lower shift control switch is having problems and needs to be replaced. They said that the power head would have to be taken off in order to access the switch". He said the autopilot didn't seem to be working either, but I can't imagine it would work correctly if it doesn't even plane. Diag smells like BS to me, but I got it cheap enough even if I strapped a new F300 on the back, I wouldn't be in bad shape.

Regardless, I've always wanted a Whaler. My neighbor who was a real father figure to me growing up was a retired tech at the plant and never stopped talking about them and the company as a whole, so I just had to jump on this when it popped up. Probably just a temporary thing, likely sell it in the spring. I still have my eyes on a 270EC, and I don't think this boat will change that!

View attachment 47906 View attachment 47907 View attachment 47908
MAAAAAAN - this is an OUTSTANDING PURCHASE!!!

Holy cow she looks gorgeous, like a dream.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Best of luck my man it looks great love the color combo! I sent @Andy S the same pic you sent me and he said the same!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats, unsinkable right? I have two neighbors with them both avid fishermen. I also met a guy once whose wife insisted on the brand before she would let he and their son go boat fishing together.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Best of luck my man it looks great love the color combo! I sent @Andy S the same pic you sent me and he said the same!
@veedubtek Like @robert843 said I really like the color combination of your Grady, I have never seen one with that combination, very sharp. Great electronic package on that boat, looks like you have all the bells and whistles.

Very nice trailer, looks like it has the aluminum rear bunks which I like. When you launched and retrieved the boat did you put the bow strap under the bow roller and pull the boat all the way to the bow roller? Based on the first picture it doesn't look like the boat is securely attached to the trailer bow stop.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Lol, yeah, his pic. He somehow managed (well, no surprise really based on that pic) to break the bow eye hook. I emailed a place about a new one last night. Crazy how tough it seems to find parts online for these.

@Ronnie , I was thinking of taking a chainsaw out with me to fact-check their old ads, but don't think my insurance would be too fond of that.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Love it!

Are you changing your user name to Snapper?:)

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats @veedubtek ! Those are great boats and yours appears to be no exception. Love the color combo too! I even like the trailer. Get those motor issues ironed out and you'll be set.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like fun! Congrats.

Your planing issue could be the result of the incorrect prop if you find the motor is in proper tune.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Congratulations on the new boat!!!:winkingthumbsup"

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Got my YDS today (which is amazingly really basic and simple to use). Found much lower than expected hours, and surprisingly, the shift cutoff switch is junk. I can play with the binnacles enough to make it switch momentarily, but never stay "on". Gonna attempt to remove/fix it tomorrow. If not, just order a new one.

IMG_20161028_185446 (Copy).jpg

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice purchase, congrats!!!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Some updates I reckon, it's been pretty slow progress as she's parked at my campsite now. Last Sunday, I installed the new bow eye hook and got the trailer squared away. Now she sits on there, and winches up, correctly. Might have to tweak the front bunks a twang more, but I'm happy enough with that.

Also, I did manage to replace the faulty shift-switch. It was tight, but I managed without pulling the powerhead. First launch, ran right onto a sandbar fiddling around in no-wake mode trying to get used to everything. Which knocked my transducer out of wack which made the rest of the day sketchy. Backed off of that, full throttle, and nothing. Wouldn't plane. Dafux? Tried again - and take off! Maybe I was still hung up a bit? Dunno. But, she cruised right on up to 33-34knts. After about 12 miles or so, right back down to no power/no wake mode. This time, found the oil bottle at the minimum level on the engine. Manual switch won't run the pump, verified pump was getting power (later), so I've got a new pump, filter, and line coming for my oil storage tank. I filled the oil bottle on the engine and she ran fine the rest of the day. (I've spent alot of time studying up on the oiling system on these - glad I did as it made finding my issues easy later on)

@Murf'n'surf - how can I determine I have the correct prop? I maxed out at 34knts, 33 most of the time. With a low hour 3oohp 2-smoke strapped to a 23' boat, I'll be honest, I kinda expected a little more.

Today - I dropped her off at the upholstery shop for pretty much everything. Only one cushion was really torn, but the rest were pretty hard and sunburnt and just bugged me. He's also gonna do some mildew cleaning in the cabin for me and repair/adjust my isenglass a bit. Should have her back on the 10th and then I can hopefully repair the oiling system and enjoy for a bit! Until I get a nice enough day to replace the 10? fuel filters that is... Not really looking forward to that one yet. Oh yeah, ordered a new impeller with the oiling stuff too. Something tells me it's never been done and I'm gonna have one helluva time dropping my lower unit.

IMG_0497.JPG

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know whalers run a tad slow, how are you trimmed out at that speed? What kind of wind and conditions? I'll have to look up a guy on THT that is from what I understand good at props and fit for boats, I do hate that site though for all the useless info on it too. Glad the boat is coming a long. How is the oil mix running right or to rich or lean? My friend picked up an Evinrude that never was tuned back from break-in mode running a lot of oil.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've got alot more testing to do, that's for sure. I played with top speed up and down the lake. Not the best conditions, but nothing that's gonna hinder more than 1-2 kts. Varying trim. It was basically 15 miles or so of initial shake down. Oil mix seemed correct, just not transferring from the storage tank. When I say seemed correct - it wasn't smoking and wasn't really hot when I removed the engine cover to add more oil. Couldn't be any more scientific with a 5-gas analyzer, I know.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@veedubtek What RPMs are you running with your setup? You probably want a prop that wouldn't run much over 5,000 I would think.
And you know, she is a bit on a heavy side, too, maybe twice the weight of you last 22fter, LOL.

So, at almost 40mph - it doesn't sound like you are very far off!

--

Last edited:

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Walt, nice boat!!! When propping a "normal" boat, yes you are looking at what RPM's you are getting at WOT. You also are basically adjusting prop pitch etc to balance hole shot and top end, but also key that you get the engine into the proper RPM range at WOT. I did read in a review that top speed is around 42 mph, so you may be close.