• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Notre Dame Cathedral burning, spire and roof already gone...could be total loss!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow...watching this play out over the last couple of hours...can't believe how quickly this spread and effectively has taken out the major part of the building! Only the 2 front towers remain, and it looks like they are now on fire too....

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Crazy...real world history has taken place inside those walls.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not to turn this political, but this is how the temples of antiquity disappear. The most famous one being the temple of Artemis in Asian minor and a bunch of other less known ones

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like they're not going to be able to save it. They just reported they aren't able to get control of it. 😲

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I am shocked beyond words at what is likely going to be the total loss of Notre Dame but I will express how fortunate we were to show and tour this cathedral to our children last summer. We stayed about four blocks away and could hear the bells every day.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We were planning on going to Paris last week but changed plans because of all the riots and protests back when we were doing the planning, we went to London instead for spring break. Sad I didn’t get to see it in person, I’ve been watching it as well, sounds like they got all (or most) of the art work and such out.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Where did you hear about the artwork? All I have heard is com conjecture that some artwork was pulled out. Unfortunately the sheer volume of art and relics inside would never be able to be removed rapidly. The loss of the stained glass alone is breath taking. Every square foot of that cathedral had some gargoyle, glass, or carving on it. So so sad.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Twittersphere just recently told me they were able to get something under control. No idea if this is actually the case, but pics like these are leaking out and give me reason to believe it

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where did you hear about the artwork? All I have heard is com conjecture that some artwork was pulled out. Unfortunately the sheer volume of art and relics inside would never be able to be removed rapidly. The loss of the stained glass alone is breath taking. Every square foot of that cathedral had some gargoyle, glass, or carving on it. So so sad.
An Italian news site over here was reporting the same, a lot of it was removed for the construction that was going on.

Attachments

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Really sad news.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hate seeing suff like this... I've never seen it in person but, it is the loss of a global icon and treasure. It is irreplaceable history.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I wonder if there is any connection?

I am sure none whatsoever!!! The French authorities were are to determine within 24 hours that it was " no sign of arson". They must be real good at their job because in 18 out of those 24 hours the firefighters were still trying to put the fire down. ;)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am sure none whatsoever!!! The French authorities were are to determine within 24 hours that it was " no sign of arson". They must be real good at their job because in 18 out of those 24 hours the firefighters were still trying to put the fire down. ;)
Or they know something we don't......like video of a guy flipping a lit cigarette into the construction site.....or something like that.

Despite my somewhat flippant attitude, I do think it's a terrible historic loss.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Or they know something we don't......like video of a guy flipping a lit cigarette into the construction site.....or something like that.
True, there is a non zero probability that something like that could have happened.
Frankly speaking, our generation will never know the truth. Say if they had a video of not so random person on a "fire vest", do you think they will show that video to the public ? ? ? There is one thing to have open season on Charlie Hebdo and whole different ballgame to go after Norte Dame.

Obviously, this is all speculation, but the way the authorities and the media are rushing to say this was an accident; it remind me my 5 year old who rushes to the bathroom to clean his hands and lips and tells my mom " grandma, I did not have ice cream today".

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The French authorities have come out pretty strongly and said it was an accident related to the renovation, so it is possible that they already know what started the fire (potentially even who) but aren't disclosing that yet.
The simplest answer is often the most logical/probable - they were doing renovations on the roof....not hard to imagine that causing a fire.

It is amazing that the main structure survived that inferno. I piece I watched last night discussed how it was "designed" for fire separation, and that what burned - the roof and spire are outside of the main structure. I'm sure we will see some interesting stories on this as time progresses.

The main building does have some holes - potentially from the spire collapse....so glad it isn't a total loss!

Took these there in 1996 (before digital):