• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Now that I'm down in my engine compartment... hose clamps.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think while I'm in there, I'm going to start replacing some clamps. There's a bunch of rusty ones down there.

Is there any real reason that I'd need to order Yamaha style clamps, or would I be OK with a bunch of good stainless steel hose clamps?

Attachments

• IMG_20140825_164314.jpg
    IMG_20140825_164314.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 99
Stainless steel house clamps would be better than what came with your boat.

Yeah, I've been reading on TOS and trying to see if the constant tension clamps were worth it. They're EXPENSIVE!

Those look terrible. Making me feel better about the slight rust on mine.

I thought that the Yamaha clamps were supposed to be some kind of fancy clamps that held the correct tension as the hoses expanded and contracted. Certainly stainless steel clamps would be way better than what is there but would new factory clamps be even better?

I replaced everything that was rusty with just good quality stainless steel clamps.

Those look terrible. Making me feel better about the slight rust on mine.

I thought that the Yamaha clamps were supposed to be some kind of fancy clamps that held the correct tension as the hoses expanded and contracted. Certainly stainless steel clamps would be way better than what is there but would new factory clamps be even better?
Here is the type I'll change over to when I replace my control cables this fall. I will do some more online shopping to find the best price. I think the weak link with the OEM clamps is the open threads in the bands.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...BV69z-iVSh8TCWwb6N9VSAeIhrn0e6ELXEaApX18P8HAQ

The hose clamps have been an issue for a long time , It is probably best to replace them with high grade stainless clamps and back them up with GOOD cable ties just for that extra security.

At around $4 each, I'd hope they'd be better! There's a lot of clamps in there!

What about using WaveSeal 360 clamps. They are less than $3 each and I believe American made.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/2170732/Ideal_360030019070_Hose_Clamp_3_4_Min_Dia_SAE_19_PK_10
http://www.precisionbrand.com/Produ....aspx?catid=292#l1=5&l2=534&l3=0&lcd=534&l4=0

2410853_300.jpg

There are some out of stock listings on Amazon for closer to $2 a clamp.

I agree with @biglar155. All of my clamps that broke did so at the slots where the screw rides. I will use either the non perforated or the T clamps on all the hoses. I may reuse my healthy perforated clamps as a back up to the new T clamps.

Would a coating of corrosion x or corrosion x HD prevent future problems?

Would a coating of corrosion x or corrosion x HD prevent future problems?
It might not prevent the eventual failure but it will greatly delay it.

I've been trying to find a cheaper source for the Yamaha clamps but not had any luck. I even had the local Fastenal store try and track some down with no luck. On those parts of the cooling closest to the intake, the screw type would probably be fine. On other parts where cold/hot expansion occurs, who knows what will happen. What's nice about the yamaha ones is you just slide the new one on, push the hose on, pull the clip, and you're done. No worry about over or under tightening.

My lower clamps are also looking sad and I'm going to need to do something soon just for peace of mind.

I think for the cost of those clamps, I'm going to evaluate them individually. I have some POR-15 in my garage for a car restoration, I may wire brush some of the clamps and if it's just surface rust, I'll paint them with the POR-15 to stop the rust and seal them.

Not sure where you boat @ptwb but I don't think I'd use those in fresh water let alone salt. The Chinese are known for substandard steel and zinc plating is not very durable. The broken OEM clamps I took out of my lower bilge were indeed stainless steel. They all broke where the band is serrated for the worm screw to ride. At those points there is less than 1/16 of material width and it's not up to the stresses delivered to it. Trust me, this is NOT where you want to save your money.

I have not seen stainless steel constant tension clamps from anyone. I ordered 1 of each of the Yamaha clamps various sizes so that I would have the right emergency clamps ready to go and they are not stainless steel.

There are some stainless steel clamps, like the exhaust hoses, and I've had to replace some of those.

I wouldn't be surprised if Yamaha is getting these clips from China. In the end, I've tracked various companies clamps back to RotoClip and just different coatings. RotoClip has a special coating for increased resistance but clamps with that coating I can't find anywhere.

I wish Yamaha or somebody would offer a kit with the right clamps (not the screw type) instead of having to buy tons of them individually.

Back