• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

NYC Gathering 9/30/17 (Possibly 10/1???)

If the weather turns to crap for Saturday is Sunday an option for your crew?

• Total voters

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Starting a clean thread for the folks who indicated that they were going to join our upcoming trip around NYC from this thread:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/lets-take-a-ride-around-manhattan.11392/

The purpose of making a thread specific to this years trip is to get the folks who are actually going to attend to discuss the upcoming trip and make something that loosely resembles a plan.

While this isn't exactly Bimini and these are entirely inland waters in a heavily populated area I wanted to gather some basic info (for those of us traveling in the group) that will help us stay safe and on track. While as stated, we will be traveling on inland waterways . . . . this is going to be over 100 miles round trip from Patsy's Bay conditions permitting. While there are plenty of places to fuel up in the area if needed we should be able to do this on 1 tank conditions permitting.

(31MPH @5500 RPM should give all the 24' boats around 147 mile range)

However this is subject to how loaded you are and how fast you can go in the conditions.
I'm figuring a 47 mile buffer from max range should keep us from having to fill up during this trip. We will obviously be keeping an eye on our gauges with the range to the ramp in the back of our minds.

I would appreciate if everyone who will be joining us at some point during this trip could confirm their launch point, boat name (if applicable), Name of Capt., Contact #, and indicate whether or not you have a VHF radio and Active SeaTow/BoatUS membership.

Your posted information should look like this:

Launch Location - Patsy's Bay Marina
Boat Name - Out Of OffVZ
Captain - John Miccio
Phone # 917-710-6163
VHF - Yes, handheld
Active SeaTow Member - Not yet

8 Confirmed Attendees launching @ Patsy's Bay:

@0627Devildog
@Kevin1741
@Chip F.
@BareHand42Style +1
@Amar Nanduri
@jayasaki138
@Sbrown
@fromrio

2 Confirmed Attendees NOT launching @ Patsy's

@Av8tor07 - From Jersey City
@Zeus2013 - Possibly from Oyster Bay

1 Maybe:

@Glen

Now, onto the trip info itself. . . . . The forecast for Saturday has been bouncing around quite a bit and changes every few hours from Sunny to Cloudy with chances of showers. . . . Unfortunately, the latter is currently what the forecast is Saturday.

Weather.com
Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 8.24.07 PM.png

Accuweather
Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 8.25.47 PM.png

Since I am local I can easily do Saturday 9/30 OR Sunday 10/1 without much trouble . . . . . . But I know there are several of you that are traveling quite a distance for whom Sunday may NOT be an option. (Hence the poll at the top of this thread)

All of the above said, we still need to come up with a basic plan of attack regardless. . . . So while I will keep a watchful eye on the weather the following is based on the assumption that everyone tagged will be going together on the same day.

For those of us heading out of Patsy's Bay you should plan to arrive by 9am to begin to stage your boat, launch, and park your vehicle. The goal is to get everyone on the water and ready to be under way by no later than 10:30am.

SPECIAL NOTE FOR TOWING YOUR BOAT INTO PATSY'S BAY:

DO NOT COME INTO PATSY'S BAY MARINA VIA TOMKINS AVE IF YOUR BOAT HAS A TOWER THERE IS A LOW BRIDGE 9' 11" CLEARANCE.

IF YOU SEE THIS WHEN APPROACHING AND HAVE A BOAT TALLER THEN 9'11" DON'T SAY YOU WEREN'T WARNED = )

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 8.49.04 PM.png

WHEN COMING IN FROM RT 202 (N. Liberty Drive) USE E. MAIN ST.

FOLLOW THE PATH OUTLINED IN THE PICTURE BELOW

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 8.44.26 PM.png

Now, if the JERSEY CITY crew leaves at the same time we do we can meet up at the northern tip of Manhattan . . . . which is roughly 29 miles for them and 26 mile for us.

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 9.01.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 9.03.13 PM.png

From there we would enter the Harlem River on the northern tip of Manhattan and head south slowing to take a peak at Yankee Stadium for a few quick pictures. Then we should continue south until the Harlem River meets the East River at which point we will head NNE under the RFK TRIBORO Bridge towards Rikers Island and LaGuardia Airport, and onto the Worlds Fair Marina.

It is in this general vicinity that we will meet up with @Zeus2013 if he decides to launch from Oyster Bay. We can find a place to drop anchor (or float) and eat some lunch as it will be right around 12:30 - 1pm if all goes well.

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 9.07.01 PM.png

From here we will double back through "Hells Gate" under the Triboro and back into the E. River. . . . We will continue to take in the sights of the NYC Skyline, Queensboro, Williamsburg, Manhattan, and Brooklyn Bridges. . . . My humble suggestion is to stop North of the Manhattan Bridge to take in the sights of lower Manhattan while cruising at no wake mode under the bridge to the south side of the BK Bridge.

While we should be mindful of fuel levels throughout the trip, it is this point where we need to take special note of the fuel levels as we should still have half a tank or more left. We will be roughly 39 miles out from Patsy's Bay at this point after having traveled roughly 56 miles.

Once we get a thumbs up on everyone's fuel check we'll likely want to pick up the pace a bit to get beyond the ferry traffic. This is the point where the waters of NY Harbor will get a little rougher so the map below (like the ones above) is only a suggestion where the actual distance traveled will be dictated as weather, fuel, and surf conditions permit. . . .

It outlines a trip to the south side of the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and into Gravesend Bay by Ft. Hamilton . . . . It is as close to the open ocean as the trip gets. In my mind this is strictly a game day decision that only happens if weather, fuel, and surf conditions permit.

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 9.22.24 PM.png

Otherwise we stay on the North side of the Verrazano and head up to Liberty for some pictures of her and a nice view of the Battery.

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 9.46.06 PM.png

Once everyone gets their fill of the Lady Liberty, Ellis Island, and the Battery (Lower Manhattan)
We can make our way up to the Intrepid Sea Air and Space Museum for a few pictures of her and the Empire State Building. . . . . continuing north to the George Washington Bridge.

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 9.47.21 PM.png

It is at this point that @Zeus2013 would head into the Harlem River above the northern tip of Manhattan (like we did to meet him) and take the same path I outlined above to head back to Oyster Bay.

This is a rough overview of what the trip from OYSTER BAY should look like:Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 9.57.31 PM.png

Beyond what I have outlined above I am open to any suggestions/requests/etc. . . . . While I appear to be organizing the trip (and the itinerary) it is only based on the fact that we are leaving from my home port / dealer and the fact that I have completed this journey before. I am not and do not claim to be a master organizer of such events. = )

Therefore, this is just a basic outline of the route I planned on taking in order to show you all some cool sights while we see them ourselves. You are obviously free to join and depart the group as you and your crew see fit.

FUEL USAGE DISCLAIMER. . . . . ONLY YOU CAN DETERMINE THE AMOUNT OF FUEL NEEDED TO COMPLETE THIS JOURNEY BASED ON YOUR EXPECTED LOAD/EXPERIENCE. THE FUEL USAGE ESTIMATES I PROVIDED IN THIS AND THE OTHER THREAD ARE BASED OFF MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WHILE OPERATING MY 14' AR240HO.

While I don't want this to scare anyone (away as there are ample opportunities to re-fuel on the water if needs be). . . . . The goal is to make this journey on a single tank with gas to spare as 10+ boats filling up at the fuel dock will take a TON of time.

Last edited:

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf - is there a way to make the votes public so we can see who is good for Sunday if needs be? I thought I did that when I set the poll up. . . .

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Launch site- Patsy's Bay
Captain- Stan Brown
2017 AR240- No name yet
ph# 610-703-9129
Handheld VHF
Seatow-no

We were planning on coming out Friday night and have hotel reservations to that effect. We are ok for either day, but we would need to notify the hotel by Weds. to be able to cancel or change the reservations.
Thank you for the effort you are putting into this trip, it's something I've wanted to do for some time and I think my wife and three girls will really enjoy it and the views.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We were planning on coming out Friday night and have hotel reservations to that effect. We are ok for either day, but we would need to notify the hotel by Weds. to be able to cancel or change the reservations.
I would say we should have a much better idea as to the weather by Wed. . . . . However based on what it says as of this moment, while I would be OK with Saturday as planned I am personally leaning towards Sunday with the forecast calling for slightly calmer winds and sunnier skies projected.

fromrio

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Boat Name - Carioca
Captain - Leo C
Phone # 703-627-7723
VHF - Yes, dash mounted
Active SeaTow Member - Yes

I’ll be traveling from VA with Amar Nanduri and Jayasaki on Saturday morning.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Boat Name - Gorgeous Anu
Captain - Amar Nanduri
Phone # 703-517-6983
VHF - Yes, dash mounted

I’ll be traveling from VA with Leo and Jayasaki on Saturday morning.

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boat Name - Dancing Days
Captain- Chip Foster
Phone # 570-617-8046
VHF - Yes , Handheld
Active SeaTow Member - No

Will travel day of trip

BareHand42Style

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Boat Name - Farradays Cage
Captain- Jeremy Jenkins
Phone # 860-874-9013
VHF - Yes , Handheld
Active SeaTow Member - No
But i have the thing from boatUS I got through west marine

Last edited:

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Devildog , I will not be making the trip since it is better suited for larger boats given distance, etc. Thank you for organizing

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Devildog , I will not be making the trip since it is better suited for larger boats given distance, etc. Thank you for organizing
Understood. Thanks for letting me know.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Everyone, please don't forget to cast your vote to indicate whether or not your flexible to go Sun v.s. Sat.

The weather report has shifted a bit from 40% chance of AM showers on Saturday to 50% chance of PM showers which leads me to believe we need to keep a watchful eye in the coming days. If the trend continues the rain may push into Sunday and possibly clear for Saturday. The wind forecast appears to be lesser on both days at this point which is good.

jayasaki138

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautic Star
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Boat Name - My Lovely Girls
Captain - Jay Y
Phone # 571-572-9698
VHF - Yes, Handheld

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some additional clarification for those of you towing to Patsy's Bay marina

Located at:

9 Hudson Dr, Stony Point, NY 10980
patsysbay.com
(845) 786-5270

While this might be stating the obvious to some I thought it would be better safe than sorry. When traveling to Patsy's Bay and following your GPS understand that it may try to take you on a road that is restricted to Passenger Cars only (i.e. Pallisades Parkway). I would map your route well in advance and confirm you will be coming in on a road that allows trailers. If you can let me know how you plan to get into the general vicinity I would be happy to provide some guidance for the last leg of your trip.

Additionally while I posted it above, if you have any questions or concerns leading up to this weekend please don't hesitate to call me directly @ 917-710-6163 - John

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Launch location: Liberty state park
Boat name:
Captain:Roberto
Phone : 973-390-6090
VHF: yes, handheld
Boat Us: yes
I will launch from Liberty state park, which is right on the Hudson, I'll need a time, so that we can meet on the northern tip of manhattan.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Launch location: Liberty state park
Boat name:
Captain:Roberto
Phone : 973-390-6090
VHF: yes, handheld
Boat Us: yes
I will launch from Liberty state park, which is right on the Hudson, I'll need a time, so that we can meet on the northern tip of manhattan.
Our ETA to that point is 30-40 mins max from departure. So, if everyone who is commited to launching from Stony Point is there by 9am we should all be under way by 10:30a. Which means at the meet up point around 11:00a-11:10a. You will have roughly the same distance/travel time.

We can keep you posted on actual departure time via phone or VHF

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Weather update:

Screenshot_20170926-190418.jpg

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Our ETA to that point is 30-40 mins max from departure. So, if everyone who is commited to launching from Stony Point is there by 9am we should all be under way by 10:30a. Which means at the meet up point around 11:00a-11:10a. You will have roughly the same distance/travel time.

We can keep you posted on actual departure time via phone or VHF
Sounds good. I guess you'll give a frequency to monitor?