• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oak Island, NC

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So we are going down to Oak Island, NC at the end of August for a week. We rented a house right on the beach. I was thinking of bringing my AR192 with us and going out for a few day trips, see some restaurants or cool places. Just wondering if any one here has done similar or has any experience in Oak Island. Thanks!

adamcoley1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Southport - Fishy Fishy - boat to it, there are docks, great food. Have fun!

stoneclan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
There are multiple restaurants at the waterfront area of Southport with boat slips. Fishy fishy and Provisions are a couple, the Rusty Hooks is near the oak island bridge and also has slips for restaurant. All are great just expect a line when you get there. The local wildlife boat ramp is on the same road as Rusty Hooks, get there early for any ramp you chose on the weekend.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've not boated that area and not sure if you've ever boated in the ocean before. You want to familiarize yourself with the markers and all because boating there is different than lakes most of us are on. You also have to pay attention to weather, wind, waves, tides, etc.... lots of these coastal areas have sand bars and shallow areas. Even though our boats are "made for shallow water" you don't want to press your luck. Windy and Navionics are a couple great apps to have.

If you plan to anchor anywhere other boats will be, you want 2 anchors or at least 1 plus a sand spike or something. Make sure you have enough rope too.

Have fun!

stoneclan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I've not boated that area and not sure if you've ever boated in the ocean before. You want to familiarize yourself with the markers and all because boating there is different than lakes most of us are on. You also have to pay attention to weather, wind, waves, tides, etc.... lots of these coastal areas have sand bars and shallow areas. Even though our boats are "made for shallow water" you don't want to press your luck. Windy and Navionics are a couple great apps to have.

If you plan to anchor anywhere other boats will be, you want 2 anchors or at least 1 plus a sand spike or something. Make sure you have enough rope too.

Have fun!
All true, there are a few local hangouts “sandbars” and two anchors are essential for keeping your boat situated in the water the wind plays havoc here.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length

Have fun!
Thanks for all the helpful information. I've never boated in salt before. So I am nervous about that. Wasn't going to bring boat, but wife thought it would be fun. I just got a go7 that I'm installing soon. Hoping it helps me navigate shallow waters.

Definitely will get another anchor. Not sure if we will do sand bar stuff but just in case. I'll check out Southport.