• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oh just pullin a 15 month old sbt engine

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
256F3C10-CA7A-43A4-8EC1-29C660547909.jpeg

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Oh no! What happened?

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
5D518BEA-5713-439D-925B-DFED04313F15.jpeg
0BCFFFC3-D8CA-4013-93A8-F7276C9D89D1.jpeg

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yikes! I wish I were mechanically inclined to help trouble shoot. Only 15 months. Hopefully you’re covered.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That stinks! And we had a couple good referrals about their mr1 replacements

What happened to the previous engine? Is there a link on here about it?

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That stinks! And we had a couple good referrals about their mr1 replacements

What happened to the previous engine? Is there a link on here about it?
The original engine broke a rod. It burned oil ever since I bought the boat. So I think it was just time.

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yikes! I wish I were mechanically inclined to help trouble shoot. Only 15 months. Hopefully you’re covered.
Only had a 12 month warranty. The engine might have had 10hrs at the most after break in but they wouldn’t even talk about working with me.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My signature phrase on the other forum was "SBT=Garbage." Do not get me started. Buy an SBT and it WILL fail, usually at abut 50 hours tops. Complete crap and a crap company. Go on the other site and do a word search for SBT garbage lol, i polluted that site with this phrase. SBT - GARBAGE!

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My signature phrase on the other forum was "SBT=Garbage." Do not get me started. Buy an SBT and it WILL fail, usually at abut 50 hours tops. Complete crap and a crap company. Go on the other site and do a word search for SBT garbage lol, i polluted that site with this phrase. SBT - GARBAGE!
So far I agree they suck. Just not alot of options out there

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So far I agree they suck. Just not alot of options out there
I was going to ask what the plan was. Best I can tell there are two "mainstream" options; get an SBT, get an OEM. OEM comes from either another boat, or mother yamaha herself. Neither are cheap.

Would love to see someone give one of these motors to a local machine shop that builds high HP car engines and see what they can come up with.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
What the actual. I would destroy them on all social media until they change their minds.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It’s easy to put sbt down in situations like this but I’ve had two PWCs with sbt motors in them and they ran perfectly for years, when one finally did fail it was my fault. Things may have changed but as I recall sbt offers two warranty packages, one year or two year for a few hundred dollars more. I bought my PWCs with sbt motors already installed in them so I don’t know what warranty they had but if I was the purchaser I would have opted for the two year for the peace of mind. You can spend just as much if not more getting a used motor out of another boat or pwc and you get no warranty whatsoever.

@Jaycav , good luck with finding a solution and heppefully quickly so you don’t lose the whole season. You must be very mechanically inclined to pull and disassemble the motor the way you did. Maybe you can find a waverunner (fx model 2005 through 2008 or 2009)to salvage an engine from or at least parts from.

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well I went thru the cooling system last night. Everything looks good no blockage.
Went thru the oil cooler this morning lots of shavings but that’s about it. D2A3200E-55DD-466E-852C-717EEC28AB6C.jpeg

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It’s easy to put sbt down in situations like this but I’ve had two PWCs with sbt motors in them and they ran perfectly for years, when one finally did fail it was my fault. Things may have changed but as I recall sbt offers two warranty packages, one year or two year for a few hundred dollars more. I bought my PWCs with sbt motors already installed in them so I don’t know what warranty they had but if I was the purchaser I would have opted for the two year for the peace of mind. You can spend just as much if not more getting a used motor out of another boat or pwc and you get no warranty whatsoever.

@Jaycav , good luck with finding a solution and heppefully quickly so you don’t lose the whole season. You must be very mechanically inclined to pull and disassemble the motor the way you did. Maybe you can find a waverunner (fx model 2005 through 2008 or 2009)to salvage an engine from or at least parts from.
So I’ll ask you the same question I asked sbt. “ So if I would have paid 400 more dollars this engine would have lasted one more year?”

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Jaycav, if you would have paid $400 more for the SBT motor, actually just the extended warranty i don’t know if the engine would last another year, several years or never fail but you would have been able to make a warranty claim within the warranty period. SBT could still deny the claim if you didn’t meet the installation conditions but that is true whether the warranty term is one or two years.

I’m sorry to that you motor failed just out of warranty but it did fail after your warranty expired so it’s not unreasonable for SBT to decline to help. Yamaha did the same thing to those with bad oil coolers in 2010 and again, for the most part as I recall to people who have had timing chain issues on 1.8L motors but the boats are still selling like crazy, at least to those that have been impacted by such failures.

again good luck getting back on the water as quickly and inexpensively as possible. I would be weighing the options of buying another Sbt motor or finding a used one from a boat or waverunner. Going new with yamaha if you can find one runs around $15k installed, don’t know about the warranty but for that kind of money you may be able to buy the same model boat and year you already have.

you may want to check the other site, yamahajetboaters.com , there was a member who was a tech for a boat shop that went out of business. He purchased and was selling 5 or 6 mr1 ho motors and pumps. At the time he was asking $5k for a motor and pump combo including the ecu. Maybe he still has one lying around.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@Jaycav, if you would have paid $400 more for the SBT motor, actually just the extended warranty i don’t know if the engine would last another year, several years or never fail but you would have been able to make a warranty claim within the warranty period. SBT could still deny the claim if you didn’t meet the installation conditions but that is true whether the warranty term is one or two years.

I’m sorry to that you motor failed just out of warranty but it did fail after your warranty expired so it’s not unreasonable for SBT to decline to help. Yamaha did the same thing to those with bad oil coolers in 2010 and again, for the most part as I recall to people who have had timing chain issues on 1.8L motors but the boats are still selling like crazy, at least to those that have been impacted by such failures.

again good luck getting back on the water as quickly and inexpensively as possible. I would be weighing the options of buying another Sbt motor or finding a used one from a boat or waverunner. Going new with yamaha if you can find one runs around $15k installed, don’t know about the warranty but for that kind of money you may be able to buy the same model boat and year you already have.

you may want to check the other site, yamahajetboaters.com , there was a member who was a tech for a boat shop that went out of business. He purchased and was selling 5 or 6 mr1 ho motors and pumps. At the time he was asking $5k for a motor and pump combo including the ecu. Maybe he still has one lying around.
In my mind the difference is, it failed three months out of warranty vs. 2 years out of warranty. I know a boat warranty around here only really covers for about four months, rest of the time the boat is sitting. In this case, his warranty ticked down in the off months and, when he really needed the help, SBT told him to go pound sand. In the automotive world when pressed on these "close to out of warranty issues" the brand will usually attempt to work with the customer with a pro-rate at the very least.

Jaycav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
In my mind the difference is, it failed three months out of warranty vs. 2 years out of warranty. I know a boat warranty around here only really covers for about four months, rest of the time the boat is sitting. In this case, his warranty ticked down in the off months and, when he really needed the help, SBT told him to go pound sand. In the automotive world when pressed on these "close to out of warranty issues" the brand will usually attempt to work with the customer with a pro-rate at the very least.
That is really my problem with them. I barely got past the break in period and our lake [keystone] flooded so it set all summer. Then i finally get a few hour on it and it broke. When I called them I wasn't really expecting anything from them, just hopping really. But the way they talked to me on the phone was bs. You usually get a well we hate to hear that or were sorry wish there was something we could do. The answer I got was "well you should have bought a 2 year warranty". And when I asked if they do anything for me on another new motor the answer was " its our busy season you cant buy a winter coat on sale in the winter can you?"

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I may ask, was it a long block or a short block that you purchased from SBT? And if it was a long block, there appear to be 4 choices: SBT Premium; SBT Standard; Yamaha Premium; or Yamaha Standard. I think that is how it works.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is really my problem with them. I barely got past the break in period and our lake [keystone] flooded so it set all summer. Then i finally get a few hour on it and it broke. When I called them I wasn't really expecting anything from them, just hopping really. But the way they talked to me on the phone was bs. You usually get a well we hate to hear that or were sorry wish there was something we could do. The answer I got was "well you should have bought a 2 year warranty". And when I asked if they do anything for me on another new motor the answer was " its our busy season you cant buy a winter coat on sale in the winter can you?"
Man, customer relations is such a cheap and easy thing to do. I hate to see this kind of reaction from a customer service rep. That sucks.

I recently rented a car for work. Reserved a Suburban, showed up and all they had was a Kai Minivan. Guy had ZERO remorse and was snarky the entire time. Just ruined the whole experience in general for me, and Avis has lost a customer over it. Had the guy had some compassion about what happened (that clearly wasn't his direct fault), and offered even something as small as "here's our customer service number" it would have been a different outcome.

Hope things look up for you shortly sir.