• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ohio to Bimini-2019

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes it way early to start this but I’m planning on the 2019 trip this year, coming from Dayton, Oh looking to see if anybody from the general area is going and interested in trucking down as group, could be from Kentucky, Indiana, etc, could pick up more on way down, thought it would be great way to meet people going before actually getting there. Plan on stopping half way to break up trip.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Been there done that got the t-shirt.
We stopped a lot on our way down. 36 hours it took us.
My wife and i had just come off of looong days and ended at midnight.
We probably woud have actually had better time getting a hotel the first night instead of trying to push through.
As long as the tow vehicle is capable, the views especially morning and evening through kentucky/Tennessee mountain areas are beautiful.
If you need a stop point for boating, lake Cumberland, Kentucky lake and lake norris are fun and not too far out the way. I would do them on the way back to flush out the salt. Those are less than half way down. Georgia has a place or two i know to boat near the highway. Once the list starts building on the main thread (watch in gatherings section) you can see where people are from and pm them.
I went with 3 kids so i went at kids pace and didn't want to slow anyone down.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We're on the fence about joining the Bimini trip this year. Budget and Vacation time are the limiting factors at this point. Considering it for an adults vacation since the boys are 7yrs and 7mo currently.

We're based out of Louisville. We could head over and grab 75S to join the caravan, or if the caravan came down 71 to 65S we're less than 20miles from that route.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We'll be coming out of Pa.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We're on the fence about joining the Bimini trip this year. Budget and Vacation time are the limiting factors at this point. Considering it for an adults vacation since the boys are 7yrs and 7mo currently.

We're based out of Louisville. We could head over and grab 75S to join the caravan, or if the caravan came down 71 to 65S we're less than 20miles from that route.
My kids were 8,6, and 4 and we had an absolute blast! Each kid is different but mine just love jumping in and seeing fish!
It was hard to get them in the boat because the sands docks had fish swarming!
After swimming all day they had to hit the pool too of course! 7 months old is too young to understand the tough water perhaps.
My kids were water births so literally in the water from day 1. We enjoy wave jumping as well. So a rougher crossing back didn't phase them till 20 minutes in when my oldest just gave me a look. My 4 year old fell asleep in mamas arms i believe.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My kids were 8,6, and 4 and we had an absolute blast! Each kid is different but mine just love jumping in and seeing fish!
It was hard to get them in the boat because the sands docks had fish swarming!
After swimming all day they had to hit the pool too of course! 7 months old is too young to understand the tough water perhaps.
My kids were water births so literally in the water from day 1. We enjoy wave jumping as well. So a rougher crossing back didn't phase them till 20 minutes in when my oldest just gave me a look. My 4 year old fell asleep in mamas arms i believe.
Yea I think the 7yr old would do fine. The baby, not-so-much. He usually sleeps when underway, but if there is some rough seas, mom's going to want to have the baby secured and her hands free for grab handles.

I've also considered sending momma and the boys across on the ferry and making the crossing myself. Just a little more cost on an already expensive week.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yea I think the 7yr old would do fine. The baby, not-so-much. He usually sleeps when underway, but if there is some rough seas, mom's going to want to have the baby secured and her hands free for grab handles.

I've also considered sending momma and the boys across on the ferry and making the crossing myself. Just a little more cost on an already expensive week.
Well, wait a year, put the money in some sort of investment, save some extra on top and have a heck of a time the following year!

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our kids are grown and out on their own and have been for awhile,we’re in our early 50,s but are on the go non stop, we drag our boat everywhere. Kids are blast, especially to see their reaction to new things, but also understand it adds complexity and cost to be able to go places.
Been to Cumberland numerous times, Norris Lake, Cave run Lake, Monroe Lake, etc,
We rented a boat several years ago when in the Key Largo and loved it. The clear water, the visual of just being in the ocean , although we stayed about 2-3 miles of shore. Never really thought of a Bimini Trip until this Forum. After watching all the video’s seem like to much fun not to go. I agree it’s an expensive trip, and takes allot of planning. It appears that the number of people going from this forum get bigger every year and thought how cool to have bunch of boats all going at the same time especially when they are all like boats.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
From another Daytonian... Welcome @Mike Clark, glad you found us. Good luck with your planning.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are around 95% sure we are going. We live just south of Cincinnati. It would be nice to have travel partners.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome, wasn’t sure I would even get any replies this early. Who knows by the time comes, we may have a small convey going down. Love all the picture of the rigs the Ariel views. Guess I’m going have to buy a drone and learn to fly it. The pictures are so cool.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

My son went to Abaco with us when he was 1 and Bimini this year when he was two. My suggestion is do it when you can. He did great on both trips. He did not cross he flew over with mom on both but did spend a week on the boat rolling 8 hours a day just fine. Life changes so fast that we should never put off what we can do today. He will go Exuma with us this year at three years old its funny at three he will have more stamps in his passport then I did when I was 20.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mike Clark from what I have noticed the caravans do not work very well for long distance and with people that you are not used to caravan with. As you get close to florida and during the last half day of drive, then it is doable, but Ohio to Ft. Laudarle, I would not plan on it. Although, everyone is very motivated to stay together evernetually the groups breaks apart. Everyone has different speeds they like to tow ( ie we got people getting 8 wheels airborne on the way to florida ) and then you have people who take 16 hours from Dallas to Mobile, AL. Once you through kids in the mix, it just not going to work. Most of us slow folks will try to speed up and keep up with the group, but then spouses tent to get unhappy. This will not be optimal for starting a vacation with pressure. I would say coordinate with whoever will be in the vicinity, so at least you know where everyone is in case somebody needs helps.
Finally keep in mind that it likely that departure for Bimini although scheduled for Monday might move up. Recall that in 2018 the June trip was moved to Sunday and July trip was moved to Saturday. Do you know how much fun it is to try to make Saturday departure when you find out on Wednesday evening that you need to be at the turning basin ready for Bimini on Saturday 6am !!!!!!!

@2kwik4u I would to meet you in 2019, but my vote is that the baby is too young for this trip and especially for the crossing. You put the baby on the boat and there is more than 50% chance the you turn around. If you have to bring the baby please arrange for him/her to take a flight. If I were you, I would leave the kids with the grandparents and go alone with your wife. Especially if you are just 2, you might be able to ride on another boat ( or take crew) and hence cut cost. I think there is defintly a value proposition on $6,000 trip with kids VS. $3,000 trip with your wife........

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u I would to meet you in 2019, but my vote is that the baby is too young for this trip and especially for the crossing. You put the baby on the boat and there is more than 50% chance the you turn around. If you have to bring the baby please arrange for him/her to take a flight. If I were you, I would leave the kids with the grandparents and go alone with your wife. Especially if you are just 2, you might be able to ride on another boat ( or take crew) and hence cut cost. I think there is defintly a value proposition on $6,000 trip with kids VS. $3,000 trip with your wife........
@Betik I'm 100% with you. Too young for this trip. Even just regular lake trips this summer were often more work than pleasure for us. If we make this coming year, then it will either be just the wife and I, or with another couple in our boat. I've been talking the trip to to our neighbhors (also boaters). He's in, she has reservations about the level of risk (she won't fly on airplanes either as reference). We'll see how it pans out. With $1k/mo in daycare we might still be several years out before the budget loosens enough to make it happen.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 5 year old is starting school next year, so I am very much looking forward to be done with daycare. LOL
as far as your neighbor goes, I would say get him a Type I life-jacket and PLB just for him. That will probably be the only way I see him coming. I have been on bumpy airplanes rides and it is not even close to crossing the treats on jetboat. In airplanes the idea is that in 2 minutes you will be dead if something were to go wrong. Crossing to Bimini that chance is practically negligible. In terms of bodily harm, I am more worried on the drive from Dallas to Port Everglades that I am worrying from there to Bimini.

JayZ2012

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm interested in going this next year. We'd be leaving from Nashville, TN. I agree that caravanning down together is tough to do based on preferred speeds. I do think that if someone in this forum said that they'd be stopping at a certain hotel, it would be nice to meet up with other boaters to get to know people and make sure that we're prepared for the trip. So if someone starts making hotel reservations- let the rest of us know.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm interested in going this next year. We'd be leaving from Nashville, TN. I agree that caravanning down together is tough to do based on preferred speeds. I do think that if someone in this forum said that they'd be stopping at a certain hotel, it would be nice to meet up with other boaters to get to know people and make sure that we're prepared for the trip. So if someone starts making hotel reservations- let the rest of us know.
I am will be a bit hesitant to book hotels ahead of time unless you can get a full refund with a last minute cancellation. We will have a set date, but we will be on the mercy of the weather. And you need to be flexible to make it there on time for an early departure. Unless you have enough vacation time and you plan to start early and are super organized, I will not be to motivated to book hotel ahead of time. Most members tent to drive and call it a night when they feel that they need to rest. And you can always pull a @Speedling LOL

In regard to being prepared for the trip. A hotel in Alabama is probably to late to get prepared. If you are self conscious, we can probably make some arrangements well ahead of time for someone to look at your boat. Most members will avoid "inspecting" your boat and telling you what to chance. In 21st century American that is liability concern. Some people might be able to help though. With you being in Nashville I cannot see how wont find someone to look at your boat and give you a peace of mind. For the love of God, we go to Centennial park 2 or 3 times a year anyway.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I am will be a bit hesitant to book hotels ahead of time unless you can get a full refund with a last minute cancellation. We will have a set date, but we will be on the mercy of the weather. And you need to be flexible to make it there on time for an early departure. Unless you have enough vacation time and you plan to start early and are super organized, I will not be to motivated to book hotel ahead of time. Most members tent to drive and call it a night when they feel that they need to rest. And you can always pull a @Speedling LOL

In regard to being prepared for the trip. A hotel in Alabama is probably to late to get prepared. If you are self conscious, we can probably make some arrangements well ahead of time for someone to look at your boat. Most members will avoid "inspecting" your boat and telling you what to chance. In 21st century American that is liability concern. Some people might be able to help though. With you being in Nashville I cannot see how wont find someone to look at your boat and give you a peace of mind. For the love of God, we go to Centennial park 2 or 3 times a year anyway.
Oh sure, so now i am a reference? Cool!
I left days early but the weather ended up requiring us to be crossing saturday instead of monday. (2 more days in paradise? Yes please!)
We had originally planned on seeing her sister in tampa on the way down if that wasn't the case.
Moral of the story,we needed like 2 days of flexibility!
If no family or friends nearby, i am sure the bahia mar is wonderful even though i didn't get to experience it.
From ohio, if you hit 65 down or something similar once you reach Kentucky border i would see about a hotel in Tennessee. Traveling through the mountains on a slightly foggy morning as the sun peeks out is beautiful, but a foggy night made us pull over for a snooze for safety.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am moving to akron Ohio (fucking Army). But my wife and boat are staying in Tampa FL so ill be driving down without the boat a few days before this years trip.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
isnt that right next by lake Erie?