• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil Change 212X

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Any how to videos on this. Would love to do the 10 hr service by myself so I can save some $$ and wont have to take the boat out of the water.

flyin_dutchman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Check JetBoatPilot? Think I saw Will had something on this....

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its very easy. The only special equipment you need is an oil extractor and I guess a tiny oil filter wrench. I use a large zip-lock bag held under the filter to catch the filter and most of the oil. I have tried a few methods and this seems to work the best. If you do it perfect you get no oil spilled. I don't always get it perfect. The only special trick is that with the spigot on the extractor there is a spot in the oil tank where the spigot will go down another 3". Wiggling the end while poking it up and down will find it. (sounds like marriage help).Cam.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Except that his 2013 212X has 1.8L and he doesn't have to drain from the oil tank...the drains it through the oil dip stick line...that runs to the bottom of the sump. So the 1.8L guys can get about 95% of the oil in a change instead of only 50%, like the MR-1's...without trying to get into that little void to get another 1/4 quart! lol I actually have gotten the damn extractor tube stuck between the fins in the tank several times on my 230. I am looking forward to not having that hassle on the 1.8L's.

I will make a video of the change on my 10 hour service...but that is about 7 hours away!

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oops my ignorance is showing! Did they put the 1.8 in all the new 21 and about boats? Cam.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@KXCam22 , no, the 210 has a different engine and I don't claim to know squat about that one...but the 212X and 212SS has the 1.8L, just like the 242/240. The 190 also has a single 1.8L, while the 192 has a supercharged 1.8L.

H2Joes

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My mechanic, who is not Yamaha certified, was concerned that if he did the 10hr service it may void my factory warranty. I take it that this is not true since many people do the 10hr service themselves. Am I correct in assuming that anyone can do any of the services as long as they are performed correctly?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
In order to satisfy the requirements of the warranty, you just need to prove the service was done. Such as your mechanics bill with itemized service, parts, and labor. Those of us that do out own service keep detailed maintenance logs, receipts for parts and shop supplies. A service record is required, so keep track of everything you do to the boat.

Last edited:

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So basically in my case, stick the extractor tube in the dipstick/oil tank area, suck everything out, record how much came out, then unscrew the oil filter, and replace it. After that refill with yamalube oil.

BTW does anyone have any suggestions on a reasonably priced oil extractor ?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@geiger41 , you got it. But also include the oil that comes out if the filter in the total to add back. The 1.8l is not as critical as the MR-1 engines were on changing oil level and the stick is much more accurate when cold. But in the interest of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", just adding what you take out keeps you from guessing.

Guys have different opinions on the extractors. Cost is part of it, but ease of use, performance, ease of cleanup, stability, all play a part besides price. I like the 6.9qt west marine extractor. I just paid $95 for it...a second time. Because when I sold my old boat, I have them the first one with the boat.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Gonna get one Tuesday. Now have to order 2 filters and oil. Just surpassed the 10 hr mark...filled up the gas tank and needed 42 gallons So I averaged 4.2 gallons an hour my first 10 hrs. Also gotta look at the manual and see what type of oil and filter to get !!

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Except that his 2013 212X has 1.8L and he doesn't have to drain from the oil tank...the drains it through the oil dip stick line...that runs to the bottom of the sump. So the 1.8L guys can get about 95% of the oil in a change instead of only 50%, like the MR-1's...without trying to get into that little void to get another 1/4 quart! lol I actually have gotten the damn extractor tube stuck between the fins in the tank several times on my 230. I am looking forward to not having that hassle on the 1.8L's.

I will make a video of the change on my 10 hour service...but that is about 7 hours away!
Any luck on that video..did you get to your first 10 hrs yet ??

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Only have 2.8 hours! It is in the shop for warranty work for a week. I'll do one but it will be a month or so probably.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

@txav8r any luck with that video?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am sorry @geiger41 ... I am moving slow, I am just under 10 hours on each engine, 9.3 I think. We have had a few things come up and get in the way of getting out much. We intended Labor Day boating and that would have finished me up to get the 10 hour done...but my mother in law passed away last week and the memorial and life celebration is this weekend, so no boating, except for maybe Monday. I will get it done, but just haven't done it yet. Thanks for the reminder!

Scott Dietz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I can't find a hour gauge on the boat anywhere. The manual says it's on the dash with fuel level, water temp, depth finder, etc. but I can't find it at all. Does the boat have one or is it an after market add? Help please!

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
hit the button by the speedometer..scroll through until it says more. hit both buttons at once then scroll through until u get the hrs.....do this for each speedometer

EatShiporDive

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Do i need Yamaha specific oil filters? or does Fram or the other automakers have one that fits (if safe to do so)? If not, what part # do I need to get from Yamaha? Thanks!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are many filters you can use. Check out the FAQ above. I believe there is a list with all the equivalent filter numbers.