• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil change help

Jluzader

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
ok I am boat changing oil now and I pumped out 3.5 qts... Should I be concerned and how much should I put in?
image.jpeg

Jluzader

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think I goofed I thought it was only supposed to have 2.5qts

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Depending on how the boat is leaning, if it is sitting in the driveway leaning down towards the bow/starboard - I think you can get an 0.5-1 quart extra. Per engine.
I you want to be safe, after you done check and adjust oil level in the water, with warm engines.

Jluzader

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Damnit the Yamaha kit I got has the wrong filter. Am I correct that the K&N HP1002 is the right one for my boat? Off the parts store hit me up

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I believe that is the correct filter. I have two of them sitting in the garage for my next oil change, but used the Yamaha filters last time.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You have the 1.8 liter engine so I believe 3.5 qts is correct. The older MR-1 engines only allow about 2.5 qts.

Jluzader

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks all,,,,, that was the right oil filter. You all are great.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

IvanS

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
ok I am boat changing oil now and I pumped out 3.5 qts... Should I be concerned and how much should I put in?
View attachment 35990
you should be fine, I just did mine and I was able to take out about the same. Something very important that the guys always point out is to put back exactly what you took out.
Happy boating!

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What am I doing wrong or missing when I change the oil in my 2006 230 HO? I run the engine to warm the oil and change the oil while in the water. I get less than 2 quarts of oil out of each engine. The oil levels were close to full (cold) prior to warming and changing. This is second oil change I have performed and I have gotten the same amount out each time.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What am I doing wrong or missing when I change the oil in my 2006 230 HO? I run the engine to warm the oil and change the oil while in the water. I get less than 2 quarts of oil out of each engine. The oil levels were close to full (cold) prior to warming and changing. This is second oil change I have performed and I have gotten the same amount out each time.
The original poster has 1.8L engines which hold more oil. On the MR1s in our boats you can find a spot toward the back of the engine where the extraction hose will go down lower and allow you to get a little more oil.

Are you counting the oil in the filter as well?

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The original poster has 1.8L engines which hold more oil. On the MR1s in our boats you can find a spot toward the back of the engine where the extraction hose will go down lower and allow you to get a little more oil.

Including oil from filter still doesn't take it noticeably past 2 quarts. I have moved the hose around, let the engine cool down to see if any more oil drained back down, etc. I just don't get out what others do. I want to make sure I'm missing something obvious or have a bigger issue at hand somehow.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Including oil from filter still doesn't take it noticeably past 2 quarts. I have moved the hose around, let the engine cool down to see if any more oil drained back down, etc. I just don't get out what others do. I want to make sure I'm missing something obvious or have a bigger issue at hand somehow.
Do you check the oil level with the boat in the water after changing? In the best case our oil changes are partial changes. If you are removing and adding 2 quarts and the dip stick shows a reasonable level when you are on the water with warm engines then you are fine.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you check the oil level with the boat in the water after changing? In the best case our oil changes are partial changes. If you are removing and adding 2 quarts and the dip stick shows a reasonable level when you are on the water with warm engines then you are fine.
I do. I replace with 2 quarts (matching what I pump out), warm the engines, check the oil, and its all good. It's at the top mark on dipstick.

would doing more oil changes more often be beneficial? we wakeboard and surf a good bit and put over 100 hours a season on the motors.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I think you are fine TOGA. If you have oil on the dipstick range I wouldn't be concerned. You can always send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs if you are concerned about the oil breaking down. 100 hours is not a lot of time on the oil.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It may be worth noting that 10w-40 is the weight of oil you should use on the MR-1 HO engines.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think you are fine TOGA. If you have oil on the dipstick range I wouldn't be concerned. You can always send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs if you are concerned about the oil breaking down. 100 hours is not a lot of time on the oil.
10/4. Thanks for feedback. Heading back out this weekend and will check it a few times each day as i usually do right after an oil change just to make sure it's at an acceptable level.

hope everyone is getting the weather we are gonna have in Chattanooga this weekend. Sunny and 80's. WooHoo!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Another voice calling me to move to TN.:)

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length