• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil change problems

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Boat/ trailer are level, engines are level. Took out (measured) 3.5 liters, put back in 3.5 liters.

Now the dipstick is showing way over full. @HELP please

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
did you happen to look at the dipstick before you took the oil out? maybe it was over to begin with?
3.5L out of each engine or total?

could it be the new oil is still on the inlet area and showing up on the stick? maybe let it sit for an hour a measure again?

Even if it is super full, just don't start the engines (it could end up ruining your air filter) you can just suck some out,

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Put in water.
Check again.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did the oil change last night. Let it dirt 8 all night and so fast today.

Just sucked an additional 0.5L out of each engine... starting to look better. I'm going to put it her on the water and just bring oil with me. I'd rather be a little low and check, than too high and ruin my air filters.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
did you happen to look at the dipstick before you took the oil out? maybe it was over to begin with?
3.5L out of each engine or total?

could it be the new oil is still on the inlet area and showing up on the stick? maybe let it sit for an hour a measure again?

Even if it is super full, just don't start the engines (it could end up ruining your air filter) you can just suck some out,
The oil was at the correct level before I changed it. 3.5L per engine.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The mr1 engines have the air cleaner issue the 1800 engines don't but still not a good idea to run it with too much oil in it.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it showing over full after you ran the motors with the new oil change? The oil filters suck up some. I'm not trying to state the obvious, just wondering when you did you check the oil with the new change.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I filled the filters before putting them on. But I haven't run the engines yet. After I recover from this mild heart stroke (98F in the shade) I'll go do that and recheck.

Thanks for all the replies! I get hot and start forgetting the simple stuff.