• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil change

ajaquino

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Oasis
Boat Length
I'm sure this was covered in these forums, but mainly pertaining to yamaha boats. I was hoping someone can share with me how to oil change Mercury 250 optimax jet drive? I found the instructions in replacing gear oil for stator, which I will complete this coming weekend, but I would like to know how to change remote oil tank and engine mounted tank. Is it as simple as siphoning old oil and replacing with new oil? I just purchased Sugar Sand Oasis and even though marina says oil is good, I would rather replace it.......just like me and my car, i don't trust anyone doing my oil change. So please if you can help out, thank you!

ajaquino

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Oasis
Boat Length
To add...im just worried about re-priming oil pump if I were to extract all the oil including within the lines...

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
No oil to change, it's a 2-stroke. The tanks you are referring to hold oil that is injected into the fuel mixture to lube the engine. Make sure you keep them full of the proper oil and the caps tight, the system uses crankcase pressure to pressurize the larger tank and that feeds oil to the engine mounted reserve tank. No pressure no oil and the motor is toast. The oil you need is specifically for DFI motors, I use a slightly different type in my 240EFI engine but I've always used Mercury's brand, always worked great so I won't change now. The oil is pricey but a gallon goes a long ways. the main tank holds 3 gallons and the reserve is about a pint

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Be sure to fill in your location, as there are a few places to purchase that DFI oil cheaper in certain regions. They are offered in Mercury and Quicksilver variations. Same oil, just packaged different based on the retailer. For Example, Walmart, Fleet Farm etc.

Best advice, the remote tank is more than likely a 2 gallon tank, so you can run it just past half full and have enough room to drop a full gallon. Each sugar sand model may be different, but I do doubt it.

Good luck,

ajaquino

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Oasis
Boat Length
Basically all I need to watch is oil level on tank and top of as necessary. Thanks for the help!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, the larger remote tank. There is a small one on the engine, that will automatically fill. Nothing to take care of there.