• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Oil / Fuel smell....Oil in bilge water

YamaNoob

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok gang....noticed a fuel or oil like smell today after we got to our cove. Figured it was due to just filling up. Lifted engine bay door and all looked good....could smell that oil/fuel. We ran a few wake surf runs and wakeboard runs between 3 people with minimal ballast. Started heading back to the dock after a long day and saw a friend pass us. Circled around to catch him.....only was running about 75% throttle and after about 3 mins, port engine oil pressure alarm flashed and beeped...message said shutdown port engine and contact dealer. Got to dock on starboard engine only....lucky for 2 engines. Noticed rainbow color in bilge water after on trailer from port engine. Ran it for about 10 seconds. Engine bay really smelly now and oily residue noticed around the inside. Noticed oily water in my ski locker also. How bad is this??

2020 AR210

Did you check oil level?

I would refill oil
Start engine for a few seconds and see if you see it leaking anywhere

until you figure out where it’s coming from can’t say if it’s a big deal

could be leaking oil filter????

Have you had any work done lately? Check the oil yet or looked all around the engines for leaks? Use your hand when they’re cool to feel for wet oil on the engines.

There certainly is oil leaking from somewhere....that is very strange...no work done just hit 100 hours so I will take it in for service. We did suck a tow rope in on that engine a few weeks ago and I had to pull the port impeller assembly to get the rope off....didn't notice any water leaking in the engine well afterwards or notice that smell or oil
Last week. The oil filer seems to have a dent in it?? Very strange. Oil is certainly low in that engine....no reading on the dipstick...starboard side reads good...super nervous now...need to make sure I communicate the correct stuff to the dealer so they will check it out fully. Any advice?20230820_183121.jpg

Have you run your hand around the engine to see if you can tell where it may be leaking? Is the filter tight? Did you check the oil level cold or after it was warmed up?

I checked it cold and can get it on the hose to let it warm up a bit. My plan is to drop it at the dealership tomorrow morning for the 100 hour service as well as finding the leak and what is happening. I was able to at least see a reading on the starboard engine without it being warm as a comparison. I got no reading at all on the port dipstick.

Bet the oil filter is leaking I stopped playing that game with the flimsy filters years ago and went to Fram 3600 tough guard filters no more issues and a lot more filter the small ones rust where the crimp is and leak

I checked it cold and can get it on the hose to let it warm up a bit. My plan is to drop it at the dealership tomorrow morning for the 100 hour service as well as finding the leak and what is happening. I was able to at least see a reading on the starboard engine without it being warm as a comparison. I got no reading at all on the port dipstick.
The oil needs to be checked after then engine is good and warm. Checking it cold will give you a false low reading.

You guys called it! Oil filter on port side was cranked down too tight and that is where the leak came from. That engine was also low on oil, thus the pressure warning. Dealer verified all is good and also performed my 100 hour service, changed oil, and cleaned up the oil from my engine bay. We should be on the water this weekend!! Thanks for all of the support as always!

Back