1. Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil in the Spark Plug tubes

Discussion in 'Rotax Engine Topics' started by Boat~R~US, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Boat~R~US

Boat~R~US Active Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Boat Make:
    SeaDoo
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Challenger
    Boat Length:
    Hello All,

So started to winterize the Rotax engines and when I removed the spark plugs on both engines prior to fogging the engines. What I found was a big surprise. Their was motor oil on top and bottom of the spark plugs, enough to cause drips of oil on the socket. These engines have 70 hour of use and it was the first time plugs were removed. (its a 2018 engines)

So what could cause this to happen on both engines? Plugs also looked pretty covered in oil. No engine performance issues and no large amounts of smoke.

Did Rotax have a set of bad seals ? Did they over torque or under torque? Like to throw this out to everyone and see if they ever heard of this issue... We are in a puzzle why this happened.

Thank you

2. JetTech72

JetTech72 Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +104 / 0
    Boat Make:
    SeaDoo
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Challenger
    Boat Length:
    I wouldn't be to worry, but looks like your valve cover maybe leaking.
    You can try to re-torque those 8 Torx screws.
    Go in a cross pattern starting from the middle & target about 7 lbf.ft.

3. Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Cobra Jet Steering LLC Jetboaters Admiral

Ratings:
    +2,860 / 67
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Other
    Boat Length:
    Other
    Common occurrence when the valve cover gasket leaks , the oil collects in the plug recesses so try tightening the bolts or just replace the gasket

4. Boat~R~US

Boat~R~US Active Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Boat Make:
    SeaDoo
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Challenger
    Boat Length:
    Here is a follow up of what happened. Bad seals placed in both engines.... Check your plugs their might be more out there like this.

Attached Files:

5. At the Sand Bar Again

At the Sand Bar Again Active Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Chaparral
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    VR
    Boat Length:
    So, Boat-R-US, what are we looking at? I am sorry, but I don't know where those tubes in your photo come from. I too had oil all over the top of the plugs when I changed them last week. I haven't tried to retorque anything yet. I was checking this forum for additional information and saw this updated post. Thanks in advance.

6. Boat~R~US

Boat~R~US Active Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Boat Make:
    SeaDoo
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Challenger
    Boat Length:
    So these sit below your spark plug housing. What it does is prevents oil from pushing up past the spark plug.

You can see nothing to do with torque or head gasket seal. The rings were bad because installer never noticed them or just installed anyway.

It’s a simple fix to perform and I recommend to order the service manual if your doing it yourself or if under warranty have the dealer do it.

Hope this helps

• Informative Informative x 1