• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil Leak at Cover, Flywheel / Strator assy.

Marcio Fazzio Martins

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2004 AR230

With the engine out, I was able to find where the oil leak is located.
It is leaking from the whole on the Flywheel Cover where the cables from Strator exits.
The idea is to take the cover out and use some high temperature gasket maker to seal around the rubber.
I have never opened this cover, but looking at the service manual and parts book it seems that this rubber seal that is part of the wires assembly is held in place by a metal parts with 2 screws.
If anyone had experienced this leak and/or fixed, leave a comment.
Thanks
Oil Leak.pngtempImageX0O7e8.png

Marcio Fazzio Martins

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a thought but I wonder why you have oil in your stator area, the main seal on the crank shaft where it exits the main crank case may be the real issue. like 14 - 15 -16 /-6 .

View attachment 188478
What do you mean by “14 - 15 - 16 /-6” ?

Should this whole area inside the cover be dry? No oil?

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Correct - the crankshaft seal(s) should prevent any oil from getting outside the block

Marcio Fazzio Martins

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Correct - the crankshaft seal(s) should prevent any oil from getting outside the block
Could you point out the part number or send an image of the crankshaft seal you think it is the problem?

I've sent the same images to Yamaha and another local shop and both think the grommet on the Strator assy is what failed.

Note that I could not se any other location on the engine with oil marks.

If you know anyone I could discuss about this issue before I disassemble it, please, let me know.

Thank you.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a MR1 engine that I took apart and there was oil in that section of the engine. If there wasn’t supposed to be oil there seal 16 would not be needed. As you stated it would appear that the seals you have circled are the issue, I will look at the engine I have apart and see what they look like.

Marcio Fazzio Martins

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a MR1 engine that I took apart and there was oil in that section of the engine. If there wasn’t supposed to be oil there seal 16 would not be needed. As you stated it would appear that the seals you have circled are the issue, I will look at the engine I have apart and see what they look like.
The right way to go should be changing the Strator assy since the grommet is part of this entire part. But Yamaha does not have it in stock. Since the Strator is working perfectly, I guess the best way to go is taking it apart and add some gasket maker silicone inside around.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
6091EACD-F7A7-4A4F-AF5D-ACE8F79263D4.jpegF6523B3A-63DF-420B-A8E3-FF4357AD8668.jpeg
After looking at this seal I would do as you described, take it apart and seal it with a oil resistant sealer on both the inside and outside.

Marcio Fazzio Martins

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 188484View attachment 188483
After looking at this seal I would do as you described, take it apart and seal it with a oil resistant sealer on both the inside and outside.
Disassembling today...
One thing that I noted comparing to your picture is that mine looks like as if it has came out a little.
The mechanic I contacted yesterday told me that it could happened if the engine "back fires" and this is the easiest point for the compression to exit. I do not remember any kind of back fire, but it is a possibility.
Anyway, it does not change anything. lets open it and seal!
Thanks for the feed back!