• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil line question

mahlzeit

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
And another question about the oil lines. My understanding is that the most important ones are the ones from the pump to the carbs. I have also read that a telltale sign for the original lines are zip ties. I do mostly see zip ties used on my oil lines (2003 lx210) but the the lines going from the pumps to the carbs have a smooth metal band on the pump side. Would that indicate that the lines have been replaced or is that standard?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sounds like someone added oetiker clamps on the pump side (they would have been zip ties originally).

At this point if they lines are original they’d be showing some signs of age. If they are still flexible and appear in otherwise good shape then your probably fine. Zip ties aren’t ideal but work fine when relatively new.

Don’t forget to check the lines from the tanks to the oil pumps. The return lines will make a mess if they break but won’t ruin your engine.

mahlzeit

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Those bands are not Oetiker clamps though....no ears. Just smooth metal bands all around. I don't think they do much in terms of tightening. I'll try to get some pictures.

Anyway, going to order the replacement kits from Island Racing. I'm a little hesitant to do the job myself though as I have very limited experience with working on combustion engines.
How difficult would it be to replace the lines without taking out the pumps? Is it just impossible to properly clamp the new lines in the confined space?
Also, I read that you will have to pour oil into the carburetors until the lines are delivering oil again. Can someone elaborate on that process? I have no idea how much oil to pour in there how often.

Thanks in advance for all the advice given.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Plan on a full day or a few afternoons/evenings if you aren’t used to doing that kind of work.

It’s not hard, just cramped working conditions. Life will be a lot easier if you remove the pumps... just a couple bolts. Beware of the coupler between the crank/pump and make sure it goes back in place.

You can use use a cordless drill (in reverse I think) to spin the oil pump to prime the lines before you bolt it back in place. Or just drizzle some oil down each carb the first time you restart the engines. if you use translucent oil line you can see where the air is out of the lines.

If you’re not sure how much oil to drizzle take the air box cover off and start the engine ahead of time. You can watch the oil drip into the carb to get a since of how much oil to use.

You can also leave the engine idling and manually advance the oil pump cable to full output to move more oil/air through the system and speed up the process.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Oh, and there is a fitting on top of the pump that yo can open to bleed the air in the line to the tank.

Eject

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I'd like to replace my 2 stroke oil supply lines as well,

What line/hose should I use to replace them? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I use Tygon tubing and oetiker clamps.

I know island racing sells a kit with all the pieces you’ll need. I’m not sure what they are using.

mahlzeit

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
If you’re not sure how much oil to drizzle take the air box cover off and start the engine ahead of time. You can watch the oil drip into the carb to get a since of how much oil to use.
This is a great idea! I'll definitely do that.