• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil pressure light

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was running motors after putting stabil in today and when running the port engine I noticed low oil pressure light come on.

I've put 50 plus hours on boat this summer and never had an issue.

I didnt check the oil before I briefly ran motor. Had water hooked up so did the MWWM to turn on and off.

What should I check to make sure no major issues?

I let engine cool off and then I started back up about 5 min later no oil pressure light came on

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you check the oil afterwards to make sure the level was correct? How long had it been since the boat was run and was it flat or did you have the trailer angled at all? I'm wondering if the trailer was angled and the boat sat for a while if it would not possible have just given a false reading while it got the oil flowing. Any signs of oil in the engine compartment?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you check the oil afterwards to make sure the level was correct? How long had it been since the boat was run and was it flat or did you have the trailer angled at all? I'm wondering if the trailer was angled and the boat sat for a while if it would not possible have just given a false reading while it got the oil flowing. Any signs of oil in the engine compartment?
No signs of oil in enginecompartment, it sits level in a climate control garage on my property.

I did have the boat on small decline while I was running motors.

Baseball season has kept us off boat for about month.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
guessing you don't have a YDS, you need one,
I'd say it was just the decline and it flashed the light, since it turned off it wouldn't scare me but I'd want to check it on the YDS and run it again to make sure there were no issues before I put it away for the winter,

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Guess I'll have to borrow the YDS from local shop before buddy changes jobs

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The MR-1 engines, when hot, will trigger the low oil pressure signal on the YDS at idle. Especially if you are running 10w-30. However, I do not recall ever hearing of the light coming on. I would do what others have stated and just monitor it.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You sure it was oil light and not overheat? Were you running on the hose?

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was on the hose. I wasnt 100% sure at first so pulled manual and indicated it was the oil pressure.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I asked @Wisefam22 because I have the same boat as you and have had momentary overheat indications on the hose due to low water pressure. I now flush in no wake mode so if any overheat condition occurs the computer will automatically drop the motor back to idle and I'll notice that immediately and take action.

If the low oil indication reoccurs I would first check the oil for level, water or fuel. Any of which could trigger an oil pressure light. If no level or contamination issues I would put an external gauge on it. Don't want to smoke a motor.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks all will use all advice and recheck oil ect.