• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil spray on port side engine

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I went boating for a couple of hours on WOT and when I pulled the boat out I saw this below port side engine. Starboard side is fine. Should I be concerned ?

IMG_3708.JPG

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How old is the filter? Are you in salt water? I remember reading that Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC has had an oil filter rust out a tiny hole that could cause that.

Otherwise, how's the oil level and air filters look?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Are you still on original oil coolers? If you not familiar with that issue on the 2010's... Check to make sure you didn't have a bolt sheer off. I would check those first.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I changed the oil filters beginning of this year but went to Bimini in July. So you can say I was in salt water. I need to check for the oil bolt shear on the 2010. Thanks

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you still on original oil coolers? If you not familiar with that issue on the 2010's... Check to make sure you didn't have a bolt sheer off. I would check those first.
Absolutely! @Amar Nanduri better check that out, it is a well know issue in 2010 240s.

--

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can see in your pic the bolt is sheared , if your Mechanically inclined it's a eazy fix :)

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks a lot for your answers. It looks like I will be busy this winter on repairs.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Here is an other view of the same

IMG_3706.JPG

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I am just glad it did not happen in the Bimini trip. That would have been a nightmare.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man it's not to bad to fix , I did mine , it took only a couple hours , if that

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Do you have the part numbers by any chance ?

Did you replace bolts with the original bolts or replaced the Oil cooler also ? My biggest headache will be to removed the broken bolt. What tool is recommended ?

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took the oil cooler off , and used a small eazy out , and just replaced the bolt , never separated the oil cooler , don't over torqu the new bolt , then reinstalled the oil cooler , I also replaced the other bolt on the othe motor , and when i unscrewed it , you could tell the bolt was stretched , been together for two summers like that , with about 100 hours since repare , hope that helps

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I took the oil cooler off , and used a small eazy out , and just replaced the bolt , never separated the oil cooler , don't over torqu the new bolt , then reinstalled the oil cooler , I also replaced the other bolt on the othe motor , and when i unscrewed it , you could tell the bolt was stretched , been together for two summers like that , with about 100 hours since repare , hope that helps
Thank you. Will give it a shot. I assume I need to drain all the oil out of the engine before I attempt this fix?

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you. Will give it a shot. I assume I need to drain all the oil out of the engine before I attempt this fix?
I didn't drain any oil , a little came out , but no that much

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Went to the boat today to have a thorough look at both the engines. I found both oil coolers have missing bolts ( 2 on starboard side and 1 on port side ) . I am optimistic that they have gotten loose and fallen off and all it requires is a simple replacement. Worse case scenario I will remove the broken bolts and replace them with the hope that the oil coolers are not bent out of shape. Oil levels are close to the F level and I see only a little bit of oil spilled. Air filters look good. Ordering the parts. Fingers crossed.
From the pictures is it the redesigned oil cooler or the original one ?

IMG_3762.JPG IMG_3767.JPG IMG_3761.JPG IMG_3769.JPG

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Unfortunately it is improbable the bolts just fell out. It is more likely they sheared.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Hi Guys. I replaced the bolts on both the oil coolers. Then I changed the oil filters and the oil in both the engines and fired them up one by one. The port side engine is good. No oil leaks even after 5 minutes of continuous running. However the starboard side engine started leaking oil after one minute. I shut down the engine and examined the oil cooler. There are no leaks in the oil cooler. Everything looks good. The oil seems to be leaking from the bottom of the engine.

My question is... Will putting in more replacement oil in the engine than removing the oil from the engine cause this to happen ? I suspect I might have put in more oil in the engine. What other cases can I check for? I cannot detect any oil leak from the oil cooler and I used a tissue paper and ran it all across the oil cooler and oil filter ( both at the bolts and the complete border of the oil cooler) to see if there is a leak there.

Thanks
Amar