• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

OK....Travel Trailer Guys get in here.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
AIght folks.

Wife and I have been on the fence for several years about getting a camper at a permanent location. We have some friends that have always been "camper people" that we talked into a boat. They've now talked us "boat people" into possibly getting a camper. We love all the ideas of a permanent campsite. Things like community and outdoor time for the boys, as well as being able to get on the water earlier on the weekends. We're worried about the extra work like cutting the grass, and the maintenance that comes from another wheeled vehicle. We're also a little worried about our "travel nature" where we like to take the boat different places throughout the year, and this would lead to us spending more time in one spot. Not sure if that's good or bad really. We've been on the fence.

Found out this afternoon there is a nice camper for sale in a relatively low price range. It's in the campground we like, and where our friends are. We think we might be able to sweet talk the owners into letting us just buy the camper and lot and getting setup all in one fail swoop. Not 100% on that since there's a wait list, but there's a good chance, as they prefer to let in people they know versus strangers.

SO, we're gonna drive up tomorrow night and look at it. It's a 2018 Forest River Heritage Glen LTZ. As best I can tell it's a 38ft with a queen bed up front and bunks in the back. Not sure if it has one slide or two. I think it has two.

Pretty sure it's this layout:

SO, what do I need to look at? I'm guessing check connections. Check general condition. Look for leaks and other general house inspections. I've found a few how to's online, but nothing specific. How is the Forest River reputation? Is it a decent setup? Wife and I, 2 boys (11 and 4), and a 50lb dog.

We've been considering getting a place to store the boat, and lot rent here is ~$1,500/yr so we can leave the boat "at camp" in the summer for the most part and get some of our garage back.

Lots of ups and downs, just looking to hear from people that have permanent sites, have RV's in general, or honestly have much of any advice about similar situations. The more info I have going into something new the better.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
We’ve had various campers for over twenty years. Done the travel to different areas and seasonal setup. With a boat seasonal is the way to go.

Four to 11 is a good age range…young toddlers have epic melt downs after a couple days. Older teens have other interests and schedules, sports etc. that make getting to camp a little harder.

Make sure there are no leaks or mice. Check the heater vents and all the nooks and crannies for mouse droppings. Otherwise make sure everything works. Then it’s a crapshoot on what will fail. Also google search the model for known trailer frame problems.

And remember if you buy one set up on a site you are buying the trailer and the right to lease the site for generally no more then one year at a time…we have a waterfront site at a campground that just sold to a big corporation. The next camper over (an old 1984 park model) sold for 65k this spring. The new owners just told the new owners that they will have to move it all because they want to build cabins on the waterfront. :( We will probably lose our site as well but we were planning to leave anyways (teenagers)

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
most of the online check lists are pretty good.
Check ALL lights and outlets. Chasing electrical issues on a trailer is worse than our boats by a long shot.

Check the roof seams and make sure they are sealed. The roof will not be “solid” but take note of any spots that are really soft.

Look around the windows inside and out. Heavy black staining (or very light if it is clean) outside can be a sign that the window seals need to be replaced. This is easy to do and not very time consuming unless old sealant is stubborn and won’t come off.

Make sure that all modes of the refrigerator work and test all the tank switches/gauges.

You can open the toilet and look down with a flash light. If it is empty it will be almost 2’ from the toilet flap to the bottom of the tank. The black water tanks should be allowed to fill before being emptied to prevent solids from building up.

check tire ages and jack conditions.

I have had two Forest River trailers and liked both but there were small things left to be desired on both. Overall the were built decent, but the newer one I did have to have the cross support for the axel shackle mounts re-welded.

we ended up selling the trailer for an older class c motorhome so we could pull the boat places and camp where ever we felt like.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i have 2019 forest river xlr boost and I already re-sealed caulking on the roof for leaks (it is an easy fix), I guess check for leaks, visit when its raining

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback and tips on what to check.

We've been on the fence about getting one for a few years. Both boys are in soccer, but only Fall/Spring right now. Usually doesn't start up until mid Sep, and finishes by mid-May. So far that hasn't affected our boat time in a significant way. Hoping that continues to be the case.

Went over and talked with the neighbors last night. They have a spot in the same campground that we visit frequently. We already have other friends that we've made in the campground so I think that portion we're fairly comfy with. Found out they turn off the water around November, and back on in March. So, we won't be using it during that time of the year.....at least not if it stays parked. They confirmed lot rent, and general electricity usage. Generally they're around $30-$40/mo for electricity, and lot rent is $1,500/yr. @the MfM I don't think we would be at risk of losing the site. Currently there is a waiting list of around 20 people to get into this place, however the owners make it known that they will take "known patrons" over "strangers" first. Not sure if that would ruffle any feathers, but IMO, I'm just playing by the same rules they set out up front....I think. I'm not 100% certain if I'm buying just the camper and then have to negotiate the spot separate, or if I'm getting the whole package. Clearly something I need to understand better.

How stupid of an idea is it to pull a unit into/out of a "parked" place like this? Neighbors bought a giant 42ft 5th wheel and just leave it there. This one is a little smaller in general, and I have thoughts of getting another pickup truck, and towing the camper around in the "off season" for Mountain Biking, and other general shenanigans/camping in other locations. Once it's "winterized" how big of a PIA is it to undo that and take it somewhere then redo it? Obviously this is next season or more away since I'm not pulling anything this size with my Q7.

While we've been "thinking about it" for a few years, I've done VERY VERY little research on how campers operate, how to take care of them, and all that mess. With boats we started with a relatively inexpensive first boat to "try it out" realized we loved it, then upgraded a decade later. Does this setup seem like a decent "introductory" setup or am I biting off way more than I should for a first machine? I get the "buy your second toy first" mentality, but I'm unsure if it fits here. Any thoughts on that? This thing seem like an OK fit for us as a beginner set of campers?

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Sounds like a good start and will fit well for your family for several years.
Once you have a routine, just like with boats, it is easy and takes 30 minutes to set-up or tear down. Make a check list and put it somewhere easy to get to make sure you don’t miss anything. The first few times might take closer to two hours.
Once you get used to the way it pulls with the right vehicle and you have the space pulling in and out is easy if you learn you land marks for pulling into the same spot a few times.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
For hauling i'd recommend at least 3/4 ton diesel the least, dont look at 7000lbs empty weight by the time you fill it up its over 10K and F150 size truck though might tow it in paper, would be a hell of a job towing that TT. I have 5K lb empty weight and I changed my tow vehicle from F150 to Nissan Titan XD diesel (not quite 3/4 ton but did the job with ease)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For hauling i'd recommend at least 3/4 ton diesel the least, dont look at 7000lbs empty weight by the time you fill it up its over 10K and F150 size truck though might tow it in paper, would be a hell of a job towing that TT. I have 5K lb empty weight and I changed my tow vehicle from F150 to Nissan Titan XD diesel (not quite 3/4 ton but did the job with ease)
I was thinking the same thing. Figured with a 7,800lb empty weight and 1,700lb cargo rating I would be close to 10k all in. Most 1/2 ton trucks are gonna struggle with that despite ratings in the 11-12k range when maxed out.

With that said, I think there is a really good chance it'll never move. If we love "lake camper life" I suspect we'll upgrade in a few years. If we hate it, then we'll likely sell and move on to the next adventure.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a good start and will fit well for your family for several years.
Once you have a routine, just like with boats, it is easy and takes 30 minutes to set-up or tear down. Make a check list and put it somewhere easy to get to make sure you don’t miss anything. The first few times might take closer to two hours.
Once you get used to the way it pulls with the right vehicle and you have the space pulling in and out is easy if you learn you land marks for pulling into the same spot a few times.
Thanks for the feedback. I figured it would get easier with time. We have the boat down to a science, and we're 30-45min to get it out of the garage and ~20min to prep at the ramp once we're there.

We're hoping that being closer to the water to start with might trim some of that time down. Only 3miles to the ramp from the camper so we can setup/stage at the camper while the boys are playing. Then same once we get back to the camper off the water. They can change and go play while we get other stuff setup and sorted and such.

Oldest will be 11 this month. Figure I only have 4-5 years left with him before he's off to bigger and better adventures than dad can have with him. 4yr old still has a decade with us before we become "old news" and he's ready to move on. Hoping to capture and increase the value on some of that time if I can, despite how bad this might be for my balance sheet.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The best family money we ever spent was on campers. The travel trailer was our gateway drug. Quickly upgraded to a class C for a decade of family trips all over the country, frequently bringing extra kids along. Then shifted to a 5th wheel when the kids were out of the house, as it was really laid out for just the two of us. Now, we're on a lake so the boat gets used all summer, and the camper gets put into service mostly in the spring and fall. And almost always has kid(s) on the couch no matter where we go. Kids are mid to late 30's, and there was NEVER a time where they didn't want to go on a trip with us. And that still hasn't changed. Hoping they'll buy their own soon...or at least a tent!

Anyway, a few inspection tips...Run the heater. If there has been a mouse problem that hasn't been mitigated, you'll smell it from the ductwork. Fire up the hot water heater in both modes...propane and electric. Walk all over the roof and the floor. It's not stiff like a house, but spots that are softer than the surrounding areas might be rotten from plumbing or roof leaks. Roof and plumbing leaks aren't bad to fix, but the rotted areas are tough.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Went and looked last night. Met the camp owner, climbed all over/on/around/through the camper. Owner was busy so he didn't attend. Found out he's a sales manager for a local car dealership.

Camper honestly looks like it's never been used on the inside. Plastic still on the bunks in the back, found informational tags on the dinette and couch as we figured out how they worked. Not a single sign of wear anywhere in the camper. Outside looks like it's sat in a gravel lot under trees for 3yrs. Still had temp tags on the back that expired in Dec of '19. Guessing it's only been there since fall of '19, so maybe 2.5yrs or so.

Everything worked as expected. No signs of mice or other problems like that. Couldn't test the TV other than make sure it powered on, no signal to be had. Fridges, stove, sinks, toilet and shower all appeared to work fine. Swing away stove still has the plastic on it as well when we opened it up.

Camper was plugged into 50A service. I'm told that's a good thing so I don't have to worry about using the microwave at the same time as the A/C. Has a black water tank rinse port. I'm told this is a desirable option as well. Overall, the only thing I could find "wrong" with it was a tire going flat, and a busted lock on the front storage area.

We're going to reach out to the owner today and talk numbers. If we can find a good number then we're gonna secure financing. Have enough cash to cover a big chunk of it, but don't want to deplete reserves, plus I'm sure there are a ton of little things we'll want to get to finish out this season.

Thanks for all the help so far. If it works out I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Went and looked last night. Met the camp owner, climbed all over/on/around/through the camper. Owner was busy so he didn't attend. Found out he's a sales manager for a local car dealership.

Camper honestly looks like it's never been used on the inside. Plastic still on the bunks in the back, found informational tags on the dinette and couch as we figured out how they worked. Not a single sign of wear anywhere in the camper. Outside looks like it's sat in a gravel lot under trees for 3yrs. Still had temp tags on the back that expired in Dec of '19. Guessing it's only been there since fall of '19, so maybe 2.5yrs or so.

Everything worked as expected. No signs of mice or other problems like that. Couldn't test the TV other than make sure it powered on, no signal to be had. Fridges, stove, sinks, toilet and shower all appeared to work fine. Swing away stove still has the plastic on it as well when we opened it up.

Camper was plugged into 50A service. I'm told that's a good thing so I don't have to worry about using the microwave at the same time as the A/C. Has a black water tank rinse port. I'm told this is a desirable option as well. Overall, the only thing I could find "wrong" with it was a tire going flat, and a busted lock on the front storage area.

We're going to reach out to the owner today and talk numbers. If we can find a good number then we're gonna secure financing. Have enough cash to cover a big chunk of it, but don't want to deplete reserves, plus I'm sure there are a ton of little things we'll want to get to finish out this season.

Thanks for all the help so far. If it works out I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
Sounds like an awesome find! It will pay you back in memories, and memories make you rich.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Approved by the bank overnight.

Now on to logistics of making it happen.

Wife's already picking out "The Dobrick" signs on Etsy, and the 11yr old is already showing me ads on eBay for golf carts.........good grief.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Approved by the bank overnight.

Now on to logistics of making it happen.

Wife's already picking out "The Dobrick" signs on Etsy, and the 11yr old is already showing me ads on eBay for golf carts.........good grief.
Cool! How many AC units? You’ll probably want 2. Usually, they are prewired for a 2nd, if it’s not there already.

We’ve had our 5th wheel in a seasonal site the last 2 years at the lake. We have 7 families all with kids about the same age that have grown very close these last couple years.

At the end of the night, the adults start wandering around trying to figure out which camper has all the kids in it, and send them off to bed.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Some of the best times I have ever had where the lake camper life!!! They go together like peas and carrots😁. Your son is right, can't truly live the camper life without a golf cart....lol.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
if you are getting a golf car, consider switching to toy hauler rv lol

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cool! How many AC units? You’ll probably want 2. Usually, they are prewired for a 2nd, if it’s not there already.

We’ve had our 5th wheel in a seasonal site the last 2 years at the lake. We have 7 families all with kids about the same age that have grown very close these last couple years.

At the end of the night, the adults start wandering around trying to figure out which camper has all the kids in it, and send them off to bed.
Just one A/C Unit currently It's ducted throughout the unit, and it sits in shade for 90% of the day on the current site. Seller says it's pre-wired for another, but I'm going to wait and see how this one keeps up.

This campground is really similar. I think there are 96 sites total between the 3 "lanes". Kids running around all over the place on bikes and such. Big playground at one end of of the campground they all congregate at. Adults are similarly scattered. Many driving around on golf carts with coolers looking for cornhole games, friendly fire pits or other such social interactions.

We've been visiting this same location 5-7 weekends a year for the last 3 seasons, so it'll be nice to have our own place. We were |..| that close to getting an offsite storage for the boat anyway (I'm tired of putting it in/out of the garage every time we use it), so the lot rent was really already in the budget. We'll also have a good deal of boating "off season" camping as well. They open the campground around Easter, and close around Thanksgiving. You're still welcome to come up and camp, but water is shut off to the campground.

Was a bumpy road there for a minute with financing. We went through a local credit union we've used before, and it was just a giant PIA. Ended up calling the bank that already had the loan on the camper from the seller. Found out the branch manager lives on the street over from us (I can see his back deck from my front porch). He came over last night, did the application, got us approved before noon, and we're signing papers tonight. On top of that he beat the rate and term the other place was gonna give us. Soooooo much simpler.

SO......we close the loan tonight. Then pickup keys on Saturday morning. Probably roll up there on Sunday to start the process of fixing it up and making it our own. We have "some" camping stuff, but it's all setup to tent camp out of a car, so we're going to have to outfit the camper from basically nothing. Bedding, kitchen gear, etc, not to mention all the outdoor stuff like chairs and fire pit and all those things. Figure it's going to take at least the rest of the season to really get a handle on what we need, and what we're doing. Have a couple months to get it figured out before we shut down for winter.

YAY Campers.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if you are getting a golf car, consider switching to toy hauler rv lol
I doubt we tow this camper anywhere in the next few years. Dry weight is 7,800lbs. Audi is only rated for 7,700lbs.

If we do decide we want to travel with it. I'm gonna need a bigger truck :D