• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

On-board battery charger

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Was going to install an on-board battery charger in the boat.

Right now I have 3 batteries. But they are in 2 banks.

Should I just get a dual output charger? Or a 3 output? I'm wondering if I can even hook up a 3 output without putting a switch between the 2 batteries in bank 2.

I am running 7 batteries and I have 2 triple banks and a single bank, no switches and no issues, works perfect!

Just so I'm clear... If I have 2 batteries wired together. It's still OK to hookup a charger to both batteries without first breaking the connection between the 2?

3-11-2014 7-12-42 AM.jpg

Yes, it is. I have 6 batteries wired parallel and one battery on the other side of my ACR. I called the manufacturer and they recommended I wire it this way. I have had this setup for over 2 years.

Was going to install an on-board battery charger in the boat.

Right now I have 3 batteries. But they are in 2 banks.

Should I just get a dual output charger? Or a 3 output? I'm wondering if I can even hook up a 3 output without putting a switch between the 2 batteries in bank 2.

Without dividing up and isolating the two batteries comprising the one bank during shore charging, which is impractical, there is no advantage to a 3-bank charger on dual banks. If those two batteries are not isolated then the two banks of the charger cannot operate independently and simply become one functioning bank. If the 2-bank charger is 'distribute on demand' then each battery will receive the same charging level as it would with the 3-bank charger of equal overall amperage capacity.
Obviously with that much battery capacity you plan on deep discharges, so you will need more than a maintenance level charger. For example, if you have a total of three group 24 batteries then you will want a 2-bank 20 amp multi-stage charger. One size charger does not fit all. You have to consider both the batteries' collective reserve capacity and your unique usage habits.

@David Analog
That makes sense. I actually have 3 group 27's. 2 of the 27's are just for the stereo, with the first being for the boat.
What seems to always happen is that I end up running the stereo bank about dead, or at least to the point where the system starts to cut in and out.

After that, I usually do the no-no of combining the banks, even though one battery is fully charged, and the other 2 are dying... Not sure exactly how bad that is, but I'm sure it's not good...

Then when the stereo starts cut out again, I take that as a sign that I need to go home. :)

I probably need to add another battery I guess. Or maybe another bank???

Hey Jim, what kind of batteries are you running? I'm in need of a new house battery and want to stick to an AGM. Trying to decide whether to go with a pair of 24's or 27's or just one big 31. I've had a single 24 AGM for 3 years and it's toast. I'm considering a built in charger as well so I'm watching this thread to see what you end up doing.

@PEARCE I've just been using regular old deep cycle, wet cell, Group 27's from Costco. I haven't seen any compelling evidence to do anything different.

I saw those this weekend. If I decide to not get AGM then I'm going back for those.

@PEARCE unless you're worried about the battery tipping over, I would save the money from one AGM battery and buy two traditional deep-cycles.

@Detonate I believe the full answer really depends on the charger you choose. Some multi-bank chargers, like mine (ProMariner), will support the ability to connect multiple ports to multiple batteries even when they are still connected in parallel (I'm not sure that all brands will support this type of parallel connection). Even when supported, there is no big advantage other than easy hookup and total amperage capacity. I have circuit breakers on all my batteries so I use that as a simple way to separate all the individual batteries when the boat is sitting at home and plugged in. That way the charger can work best by distributing the charge as needed to each individual battery.

@David Analog
That makes sense. I actually have 3 group 27's. 2 of the 27's are just for the stereo, with the first being for the boat.
What seems to always happen is that I end up running the stereo bank about dead, or at least to the point where the system starts to cut in and out.

After that, I usually do the no-no of combining the banks, even though one battery is fully charged, and the other 2 are dying... Not sure exactly how bad that is, but I'm sure it's not good...

Then when the stereo starts cut out again, I take that as a sign that I need to go home. :)

I probably need to add another battery I guess. Or maybe another bank???

For three total group 27s, two of which are discharged deeply, a 30 amp charger is not too much, although borderline. A 20 amp charger is a bit lite and isn't enough for expansion. A 30 amp will allow you to add one more group 27. A 30 amp charger is likely to be limited to a 3-bank model even though you only need two and will only use two of the banks.
First, get a digital volt meter to bury in the battery locker (so you can read it in the daytime). Never discharge your batteries below 12.0 volts, which is half charge. The occasional 11.8 volts would be the minimum for a consumer grade deep cycle battery. You will get an inordinate number of shallow cycles. But as you discharge more deeply the number of cycles will plummet. It's not a linear ratio.
I would not combine my deeply discharged stereo batteries with my starting battery.....ever.....AFTER a long stay at rest. Beforehand is fine.
You don't want to start the boat and operate the boat electronics with a lower voltage as it is extra hard on the starter & boat electronics.
The heat generated by suddenly combining the two different banks at wildly different charge levels is bad for the starting battery. It's not as much of an issue on the stereo bank side because you have multiple batteries to dissipate that violent current transfer.
You do not want to combine the load of several deeply depleted batteries, a large stereo at play, plus the boat operations, and place that considerable draw on the boat's stators. They'll run as hot as an exhaust manifold and that's unhealthy.
Again, allowing the boat's charging system to service the stereo batteries and running both banks in parallel is okay throughout the early day and before a duration at rest. After that time, it is better to keep the stereo bank in isolation, based on what voltage you read at the end of your stay.
It sounds like you have worked your batteries pretty hard thus far. Before adding another battery, I would have the status of you old batteries checked. The new battery will degradate quickly if introduced into a bank that is way past its prime. Optimumly, batteries within the same bank should be identical is chemistry, size and age (even production date). You can get away with a late introduction of a new battery if the existing bank is young enough.

I may have missed this, but can you tell me if you need a waterproof charger or not?
Were the two batteries in a 12v parallel setup or 24v series?

Jason

Back