• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

On the market for a new AR Jet boat

1_fast_ar240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Whats going on guys, i believe i posted here about a year ago. i am looking for a boat leaning towards the ar-240 the wife finally said go ahead and buy it. considering waiting on the upcoming boat show in jan 5 to see if theres any specials.
i know Yamaha does not really haggle with the prices so no much to talk about there. I am very familiar with the engine, cooling, pump/prop, electronics.
I am located in houston texas. Currently own a Turbo Yamaha Fzr runs 90mph but we can only ride that so much. Some of you may have seen me in the news during Harvey i was out rescuing folks.
Future says we are going to have kids and i want to have the boat prior to that so i hope yall give me some insights on what to look for.
Questions
should i go to a dealer or buy from the boat show ?
any special financial institutions i should consider ?
galvanized or aluminum trailer ?
what are the average monthly payments for the Ar-240 models ? (i know it depends on down payment) Average
should i stick to 2018 or consider 2017/16 leftover models ?
new ar/240 or used 242 limited ? what would you pick ?

Attachments

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First foray into a boat? (or not.....) I always buy used and with cash. Let someone else take the huge depreciation hit. If you start looking now, you will be able to locate a nice 240 series boat in the 30-40K range, lightly used, for much less than a new one. Remember, these Yamaha power trains are bulletproof, so don't worry about buying a used one. I have purchased 2 over the past 13 years and never looked back. Plus, if you buy used with cash, you have alot more power to walk away if your price is not met. In December, you are smack in the middle of the buyer's market. This will change come March, for sure. As for trailers, galvanized is the choice over aluminum, for sure especially if you will be working in salt water.

If this hasn't sold, I would be all over this member's boat:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2013-yamaha-212ss-103179056

Or this for just under 40 Im sure:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/chesterfield-michigan-2014-ar240-will-deliever.15411/

1_fast_ar240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
New to a boat, i never owned one. I am leaning more towards new since they dont really seem to depreciate much. that 2014 selling for around 40 i got a good estimate from a local dealer on a 2017 for 48k 0 hours. thanks i am aware that yamaha are very reliable. my ski has plenty of hours and i ride it like i stole it. dont seem to quit. thanks for your reply

First foray into a boat? (or not.....) I always buy used and with cash. Let someone else take the huge depreciation hit. If you start looking now, you will be able to locate a nice 240 series boat in the 30-40K range, lightly used, for much less than a new one. Remember, these Yamaha power trains are bulletproof, so don't worry about buying a used one. I have purchased 2 over the past 13 years and never looked back. Plus, if you buy used with cash, you have alot more power to walk away if your price is not met. In December, you are smack in the middle of the buyer's market. This will change come March, for sure. As for trailers, galvanized is the choice over aluminum, for sure especially if you will be working in salt water.

If this hasn't sold, I would be all over this member's boat:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2013-yamaha-212ss-103179056

Or this for just under 40 Im sure:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/chesterfield-michigan-2014-ar240-will-deliever.15411/

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love my 2015 AR240. I did get it used and saved about $10k. Like mentioned above you are in the prime season to buy a used boat. Most people are willing to take a bit less to help around the Holidays. If you have any specific questions about the AR240 let me know.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New to a boat, i never owned one. I am leaning more towards new since they dont really seem to depreciate much. that 2014 selling for around 40 i got a good estimate from a local dealer on a 2017 for 48k 0 hours. thanks i am aware that yamaha are very reliable. my ski has plenty of hours and i ride it like i stole it. dont seem to quit. thanks for your reply
If your dealer will sell you a new one for 48K out the door now I would go ahead and take it. You wont find a much better deal then that new. Now if its 48K plus taxes and destination and prep fees I would keep shopping you should be able to pull a left over 17 out the door for under 50K right now especially with the changes to the 18 conext system.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe the 18 ar240/sx240 still maintains the original Connext system and screen. You have to jump up to a 242 to get the larger new Connext system

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe the 18 ar240/sx240 still maintains the original Connext system and screen. You have to jump up to a 242 to get the larger new Connext system
You are correct you need to jump to one of those for the new conext. I paid $50,400 out the door for my 17 back in March with a 5 year warranty I still think you should be able to pull one for under $50k out the door now that the 18's are out.

1_fast_ar240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks i will definitely keep that in mind when I go to the dealership early January. Anybody got an idea of what the monthly payment is for the at-240.
You are correct you need to jump to one of those for the new conext. I paid $50,400 out the door for my 17 back in March with a 5 year warranty I still think you should be able to pull one for under $50k out the door now that the 18's are out.

1_fast_ar240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hows the ride on rough water 4-6ft , I plan to make the cross to Bimini at least once a year. Plan to take it out of kemah and Galveston to the sunken ship. How’s the fuel, I have a map tuner so I can flash the ecu for better fuel economy also have a bunch of tricks from the jet ski side.
I love my 2015 AR240. I did get it used and saved about $10k. Like mentioned above you are in the prime season to buy a used boat. Most people are willing to take a bit less to help around the Holidays. If you have any specific questions about the AR240 let me know.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks i will definitely keep that in mind when I go to the dealership early January. Anybody got an idea of what the monthly payment is for the at-240.
Depends on your credit and ability to pay. I only did the 12 month zero percent financing through Yamaha and plan to roll it to my credit union on a 5 year 1.9 % interest note after that to basically do 6 year financing. It just all depends on you plan as many of us choose to pay much more then the minimum payment to get into this but zero money down and excellent credit about $393 a month for 15 years with the 4.9% Yamaha financing program but I really don't recommend that you would become upended in this pretty quick on that path. I can't remember the credit score needed to get that but I think it is 780.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hows the ride on rough water 4-6ft , I plan to make the cross to Bimini at least once a year. Plan to take it out of kemah and Galveston to the sunken ship. How’s the fuel, I have a map tuner so I can flash the ecu for better fuel economy also have a bunch of tricks from the jet ski side.
In 4-6ft seas it sucks its not an offshore boat. I have been to Bimini, Exuma and Abaco on a 240 and jet skis and in 4-6 ft skis on all of them I wouldn't even depart. I have been in 4-6ft seas for a short period on a 240 off Staniel Cay and there is no way I would try that for 60 miles it was not fun. The ECU map tuner will help you to get a few extra mph out of the boat but based on testing another member has done with this, prop changes and and lucky 13 cones you would be hard pressed to get more mpg then it comes with stock. Some of the jetski tricks help with the boats but most that have various gains on the skis have little effect on the boats they just have to much more displacement in the water.

Last edited:

1_fast_ar240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What kind of air mods do you guys do to this boats ? The engines on the ar-240 look like they starve from air just like in skis. Sucks about the rough water but then again only plan to do the cross once a year and probably will be watching the weather closely. Other than that it’s going to be a family boat to go enjoy the weekends some night cruise to eat and fish every now and then.
In 4-6ft seas it sucks its not an offshore boat. I have been to Bimini, Exuma and Abaco on a 240 and jet skis and in 4-6 ft skis on all of them I wouldn't even depart. I have been in 4-6ft seas for a short period on a 240 off Staniel Cay and there is no way I would try that for 60 miles it was not fun. The ECU map tuner will help you to get a few extra mph out of the boat but based on testing another member has done with this, prop changes and and lucky 13 cones you would be hard pressed to get more mpg then it comes with stock. Some of the jetski tricks help with the boats but most that have various gains on the skis have little effect on the boats they just have to much more displacement in the water.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought my 2016 AR240 during the boat show here in Utah. I felt like it was the best value 24 ft boat on the market. It is my first boat, but I'd kept my eye on them for a few years and did plenty of research. I can honestly say it was the right boat for me.
One of the reasons Yamaha has such a hold on the market is their financing partnership with Synchrony Bank. I financed at 2.99% for 5 yrs and 5.99% after for the remaining 10yrs. My payment is $390 a month (I round my payments to $500). Nothing else out there could come close for me.
I dont think purchasing during the boat show gave me a big discount off price of the boat itself, but I did an extra 2 yr full warrantee and the dealer offered 20% off any accessories and discounted labor.
The great thing about the AR is its a great platform to build off of. I did full upgraded JL speaker swap with sub & tower speakers, and 3 bag ballast. All for less than a Limited S. Later I added a GPS speed control (Hydrophase Ridesteady) and a Gantlin Products Wake Wedge.

Last edited:

1_fast_ar240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Another good ar comment. Man I can’t wait to take one home.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I bought a 2016 242 Limited SE. Because it was a new model I didn't have the choice to go used. If I were to buy now., I would look at a used 16 or 17 Limited SE over an AR. The difference in amenities and comfort features is huge! And you could probably pick one up fir about the same price as a new AR.

1_fast_ar240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
interesting, will look into that. theres a local dealer that have a 16 242 xe but its listed for 68 999, trying to stay around the 50k range

I bought a 2016 242 Limited SE. Because it was a new model I didn't have the choice to go used. If I were to buy now., I would look at a used 16 or 17 Limited SE over an AR. The difference in amenities and comfort features is huge! And you could probably pick one up fir about the same price as a new AR.

Phreddei

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We used Lightstream for our financing. 3.25 % for 36 months. Longer terms are available. Need a great credit score. Unsecured loan, so title is yours.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What kind of air mods do you guys do to this boats ?
Many people do the ribbon delete on them and after market filters this will add a about 200 rpm and improved mid range throttle response. The boats are not nearly as starved for air as the skis are. I have not seen anyone try any forced induction on a 240 yet such as a turbo or super charger I have seen it discussed but with the size of the boats it's been undetermined if the cost to do that would be beneficial and the fuel burn would be astronomical you would almost need to add a fuel bladder of some kind or you would likely be at the fuel pump ever two hours or so of run time. I would still love to see someone try it though.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843 summed it up well. I went to Bimini last year and the seas were 3-4ft and it wasn't fun... We made it and had a blast but I wouldn't do it again if the weather was the same. To answer your MPG question, it is not bad on fuel if you stay away from WOT. I can spend a weekend pulling our tube and won't have to fill up until we are heading home on the trailer.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Many people do the ribbon delete on them and after market filters this will add a about 200 rpm and improved mid range throttle response. The boats are not nearly as starved for air as the skis are. I have not seen anyone try any forced induction on a 240 yet such as a turbo or super charger I have seen it discussed but with the size of the boats it's been undetermined if the cost to do that would be beneficial and the fuel burn would be astronomical you would almost need to add a fuel bladder of some kind or you would likely be at the fuel pump ever two hours or so of run time. I would still love to see someone try it though
These engines struggle to reach the maximum (7800, if I'm not mistaken) RPM at higher altitude. I had the dealer install the RIVA spacer and ribbon delete at the time of purchase. I don't know that you'd see much gain at near sea level. We're all curious what the SVHO engines would be like in the 21 and 24 ft boats...? Increasing the top speed seems to be a dream that's yet to be realized... many have tried... I can't mention one who has truly succeeded with better than marginal gains. I think there's more to be gained in the low and mid range with tuning and increasing pump efficiency. I've come to wonder if extra horse power the answer or is it a matter of pump volume? More speed requires moving more water, how much more can the pumps handle? I've not heard of anyone ramping up HP to the point they just cavitate at WOT and I guess the 192 boats handle the SVHO alright... Perhaps the boats are at that tipping point in hydrodynamics as is sometimes the case in aerodynamics where the wind or in this case water resistance are so great at top speed that increasing it would require a larger than expected amount of horsepower, maybe more than what can be achieved with the current power plants. Maybe I've opening a new topic?

Anyway, the boats kickass regardless... If you breach 60mph let us know how.