• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

One more Cobra Jet Steering review

atldude

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just giving some feedback on the new steering system -

I can’t believe that it has been over a year since I bought a Cobra Super Ultimate Steering kit from @Cobra Jet Steering LLC. The kit has been sitting in my garage while I tend to my other hobbies :) but got it on yesterday and finally got to try it out today. Boat handles amazingly well. No more wandering at trolling/no wake speed, steering is very responsive. I still can’t believe how the boat tracks like it’s on rails. Gone is the need for overcorrection.

The CJS kit replaces a Thrust Vector kit that was on there from previous owner. The plastic fins were warped (even 4 yrs ago when I bought my boat) but not damaged. Was one of the first generations looks like...

Anyway, thank you Jeff for a great product!

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Once I get motor back together that is one upgrade I'll be getting.
Was in same position as you. Had TV from PO that do not compare to CJ.

Another happy CJ customer.

atldude

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@14SX190 That’s the way to go for sure!

So yesterday I was on the boat with a buddy and my wife and they both got tired of me saying how great the boat handled after the update :) I was expecting a subtle improvement but it really made a big difference.

Couple of bonus items I didn’t expect - no hands steering is finally possible (just a test cause of course I had to hehe) and the overspray at lower speeds is also gone. Used to sprinkle like a fountain! Just really happy with the new steering system :winkingthumbsup"

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@14SX190 That’s the way to go for sure!

So yesterday I was on the boat with a buddy and my wife and they both got tired of me saying how great the boat handled after the update :) I was expecting a subtle improvement but it really made a big difference.

Couple of bonus items I didn’t expect - no hands steering is finally possible (just a test cause of course I had to hehe) and the overspray at lower speeds is also gone. Used to sprinkle like a fountain! Just really happy with the new steering system :winkingthumbsup"
So tell me one thing, were you smiling when you were driving the boat ? If so ,then I did my job. Now let the wife drive it !

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hi @Cobra Jet Steering LLC . I believe that I have the original CJS fins (see photo) on my '08 212X. What would be the advantage to upgrading to the Cobra Super Ultimate Steering kit?

fr_8510_size880.jpg

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The older steering you have was a very popular system people would contact me and tell me that if the system did not resolve the steering issues they were experiencing "from the stock setup" that they intended to sell the boat and did not care how much money they lost , the fact that this system is still on the boat gives testimony to how important it was and how effective it still is. That being said as time passes I have made numerous leaps and bounds to the basic steering system like you have on your boat by enhancing , improving adding more features and benefits to the steering systems making them selectable and adjustable making add on upgrades like the mega fang plus and the new super fins.

The new super ultimate system replaces that older fixed system they are spring loaded adjustable selectable stagger able, the new super fins are further out from the nozzle for more influence , they have a large top section that only works when the hull is off plane in slow speed mode while the bottom section of the fins is in the water at all speeds and you decide the level of effect you like. the super ultimate is also set up to accept the mega fang plus upgrade for enchasing your reverse above and beyond what the fins do.
The mega fang plus mounts special fins next to the opening under the nozzle where the reverse water exits, then it corrals that water and directs it when you are backing up , it uses MORE of the reverse thrust so you can back the boat in wind and current you get more stopping power because you are using more of the reverse thrust and you can back off trailers and beaches easier. the forward leading fins are made to extend past the pivot point of the nozzle to create a mild power steering effect as well. the super ultimate twin system is available at the buy direct discount price of $399.99 and the mega fang plus setup for that system is also available at the buy direct discount price of $169.99, these prices are for the complete twin engine system with free shipping in the U S A .

Attachments

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
The older steering you have was a very popular system people would contact me and tell me that if the system did not resolve the steering issues they were experiencing "from the stock setup" that they intended to sell the boat and did not care how much money they lost , the fact that this system is still on the boat gives testimony to how important it was and how effective it still is. That being said as time passes I have made numerous leaps and bounds to the basic steering system like you have on your boat by enhancing , improving adding more features and benefits to the steering systems making them selectable and adjustable making add on upgrades like the mega fang plus and the new super fins.

The new super ultimate system replaces that older fixed system they are spring loaded adjustable selectable stagger able, the new super fins are further out from the nozzle for more influence , they have a large top section that only works when the hull is off plane in slow speed mode while the bottom section of the fins is in the water at all speeds and you decide the level of effect you like. the super ultimate is also set up to accept the mega fang plus upgrade for enchasing your reverse above and beyond what the fins do.
The mega fang plus mounts special fins next to the opening under the nozzle where the reverse water exits, then it corrals that water and directs it when you are backing up , it uses MORE of the reverse thrust so you can back the boat in wind and current you get more stopping power because you are using more of the reverse thrust and you can back off trailers and beaches easier. the forward leading fins are made to extend past the pivot point of the nozzle to create a mild power steering effect as well. the super ultimate twin system is available at the buy direct discount price of $399.99 and the mega fang plus setup for that system is also available at the buy direct discount price of $169.99, these prices are for the complete twin engine system with free shipping in the U S A .
Is there any effect on the wave for wakesurfing when using these? Particularly with the Yamaha Wakebooster.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Is there any effect on the wave for wakesurfing when using these? Particularly with the Yamaha Wakebooster.
The super steering does not interfere with any of the wake wedge devices or factory wake booster etc. It does help with the steering control while partaking in that activity as well as other watersport activities like waterskiing or tubing and that is especially important when retrieving a person in the water. Also the mega fang plus or the AK fang upgrade will help reduce the steering resistance in the wheel when operating with ballast for wake surfing. On a side note I now have all the twin engine systems designated with AK-19. Example is Super Magnum AK-19 and the deluxe version or the Super Ultimate AK-19 and the deluxe version of that system in stock and available for the new 25 foot and 27 foot Yamaha lineup At the same buy direct discount price as the 21 and 24 foot versions when ordered directly through me or my web site. And this also includes the patented second tie rod for balance and redundancy. A 27 foot with AK-19 deluxe shown below.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lookingforajetboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

What is the mega fang plus set up? Is it necessary on top of the cobra fins?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Before Yamaha built the new nozzles in 2015 I designed special fins made to help with the reverse control, they are mounted on either side of the bottom opening of the nozzle where the reverse thrust exits these fins capture the thrust and concentrate it they also help direct it so you get a stronger and better real reverse without loosing any power but actually gain power in reverse by using more of the existing reverse thrust this also gives you better stopping power as well The latest version is the 4th design each time I made the fins slightly longer for more effect and it also goes further forward of the nozzle pivot point therefore providing a mild power steering effect for nice smooth high speed steering and it redirects the back of the boat when turning so all the features of the steering are enhanced at all speeds. And I made it inexpensive to add to any of the earlier nozzles firsts and second generation but not the third generation as that has the newest reverse openings that direct the reverse water down and out at a 45 degree angle . So it is not necessary but it does add a lot to the game for a small price.

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
And for those of you using the viper on your 19 foot boats I have TOP FANGS for reverse these sit up out of the water when the boat is on plane and only kick in when the boat is sitting down in the water at slow speed people are very impressed with how well the boat handles in reverse with these on the even in strong currents.

Attachments