• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

One technique for removing Hydro Turf

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A few years ago I replaced the Hydro Turf mats on my swim platform. Boy was it a chore. I tried chemicals, heat and anything else I could to get through the mess of glue and remaining pieces of turf. I’m sure it would be similar with other products out there like Sea Deck too.

Years later I worked on a winter project of restoring a waverunner. That time I did a little research on better techniques. I combined a few other peoples ideas and this is what I came up with. It worked a lot easier that the elbow grease and chemicals that I had used in the past.

I've had this footage sitting on my phone for years and finally got around to putting it in a video and sharing it. Hopefully it helps somebody who’s in a similar situation.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's money! I did one of our Waverunners this spring and a buddies AR210. Fingertips are finally feeling normal again.

We had an eraser wheel, but it was perforated, rather than solid. It was all but a nub on the drill by the time we were done. Lots of work, but they look so good when done.

Nice video!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah. It will definitely burn through a lot of eraser wheels with the “knurled” surface. But imho, worth it. 😄

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for creating this video. I’m replacing mine this weekend. I have the eraser wheel and didn’t know how to use it. I was prepared to put it dead on instead of on the side. Yikes!

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for creating this video. I’m replacing mine this weekend. I have the eraser wheel and didn’t know how to use it. I was prepared to put it dead on instead of on the side. Yikes!
Charge a few batteries, or use a corded drill. I've never used one of these on the leftover stuff like this. Until this forum, I've only ever known (and used) these as "pinstripe removal wheels" for vehicles. These work GREAT for that, as well. A side-handle drill helps if you're taking off a lot of stuff too. I've got a 1/2" corded drill with removable handle that I'd borrow you, but you gotta come pick it up 😁

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would take you up on your offer, but I’m afraid we would get started on our cigar kick and not get anything accomplished. Ha!
Charge a few batteries, or use a corded drill. I've never used one of these on the leftover stuff like this. Until this forum, I've only ever known (and used) these as "pinstripe removal wheels" for vehicles. These work GREAT for that, as well. A side-handle drill helps if you're taking off a lot of stuff too. I've got a 1/2" corded drill with removable handle that I'd borrow you, but you gotta come pick it up 😁

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You know how you get points for sucking up a rope? That ain't nothing compared to taking this hydro-turf off. What title comes after Jet Boat Junkie? Thank you @drewkaree, I couldn't have done it without the side handle. I'm wondering if I can velcro the new stuff down. I'll be too old to go through this agin. Thoughts anyone?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You know how you get points for sucking up a rope? That ain't nothing compared to taking this hydro-turf off. What title comes after Jet Boat Junkie? Thank you @drewkaree, I couldn't have done it without the side handle. I'm wondering if I can velcro the new stuff down. I'll be too old to go through this agin. Thoughts anyone?
Now that you have done this, Will's $100/hr looks pretty cheap, hey? 😄

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Now that you have done this, Will's $100/hr looks pretty cheap, hey? 😄
Yep! $100 an hour is a good deal. I tried all the suggestions. Goo b gone, heating up the scraper, taking it off in cold weather, etc. None of that worked. I will say the 5 point painters tool came in really handy though.