• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oops. Time for 10hr service...but it seems I am at 14.5. Any ramifications?

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we've been enjoying the boat. So much so that I lost track of engine time. Brought it home from storage today to prep before going out tomorrow and remembered I should check the hours and, wowza, I am at 14.5. I'll get it into the dealer this coming week for sure but curious if anyone knows if there will be any warranty, YES, or other ramifications to this? I've read +/- to YES being sticklers and jerks. Thanks!

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
When I bought mine back in '14 I was told bring her in for the 10 hour by 20 hours. My boats never been back to the dealer, but I would think you'll be just fine for warranty compliance.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we've been enjoying the boat. So much so that I lost track of engine time. Brought it home from storage today to prep before going out tomorrow and remembered I should check the hours and, wowza, I am at 14.5. I'll get it into the dealer this coming week for sure but curious if anyone knows if there will be any warranty, YES, or other ramifications to this? I've read +/- to YES being sticklers and jerks. Thanks!
They would have to be stupid to make a big deal out of it. However, they will see the RPMs, I was told running WOT during break in period was a no-no. So, I stuck with the recommended break in schedule.

--

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Your engines are going to explode now and the Yamaha warranty snipers will come confiscate your YES documents while you sleep!111111!! :D

You're fine. Enjoy your new boat.

BTW there are laws put in place that they can't hold you to using a dealer for maintenance work if you're worried about your warranty. Wrench on it yourself, save thousands and just be sure to document or record all work you do. There is a maintenance card in the back of your owner's manual. Be sure to use it if you do any wrenching yourself. A 10 hour service is nothing more than an oil change, add lube to intermediate bearing housing and inspect things. It's a total ripoff to pay that at the dealer unless you just like to torch $600+ for the heck of it. I doubt they'll even clean your boat after.

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@haknslash I think you have had too many cups of coffee this morning.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@buckbuck Haven't had a drop this morning....yet :D

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Never done a 10 hour Service with a dealer with any boat or first oil change with any vehicle.
Never had any issues when having any warranty work, Always done them myself, document and keep receipts for everything.

With what you will pay for the 10 hour service you can buy all the tools and parts needed for the 10, 50 and 100 hour service to do yourself.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Who's paying $600-800 for the 10hr service? I think my dealer charged me $120 and replaced the broken intake grate (that I bought at cost for $80) without a labor charge.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Attached is a copy of the "service log" I've used for my Yamaha's. Note that the lower section is for my old 2009 and I decided to keep that content in there in case I wanted to look up any old parts, etc. The top section is for the 2017. When I sold the 2009, I provided a PDF of this document and the boat broker said this was worth more than its weight in gold for a new buyer.

Use and enjoy!

Attachments

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Late to the show on this thread, but thought I'd offer more "2 cents", which is now ironic because they took pennies out of circulation in Canada.
When I brought my '15 AR240 in for its 10 hr service, the Connext hours were about 2 hrs higher then the actual engine hr readings via the yds.
I think that most dealers do what they think needs to be done in terms of 10 hrs service, as opposed to following the Yamaha service requirements. The dealership that I brought mine to in Waco TX did their thing, and did such a poor job that I immediately redid it when I got home. They didn't warm up the oil before sucking it out. I know this because they asked me for the keys so that they could run the engines after they had changed the oil. As a result, one engine had too much oil in it (no damage though) and it was dirty because I assume that they didn't suck all of the old stuff out.
The Waco dealership was unaware that a 10 hr service was required. They thought that it was supposed to be 20 hrs, so you should be ok with going over 10 hrs as long as you're below 20 hrs.
I'm sure that there are many great/competent dealerships out there, but when you consider how easily they can screw-up your boat if they are incompetent, I think that it's best to do the maintenance yourself and know that it is done properly... especially greasing the driveshaft seals.
The second dealership that I took my boat to near Houston TX, was no more competent than the one in Waco, but they improved significantly over time due to changes in management.
Both dealerships did some really stupid things to my boat. None were critical, but they required many beers in my driveway to undo and redo properly.