• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Opinion on Replaced Engine

cdjeeps25

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Hello all,

New to jet boats.

I was wonder what your take would be on a Yamaha with a replaced engine. I went and looked at the boat and it is in great condition and previous owner seems to have done a great job taking care of it.

The story on why the engine was replaced goes something like this: The owner sold the boat to someone and they ran the engine to redline without water running through it. Then told the previous owner that they were sold a bad boat. The owner took the boat back and realized the engine was completely destroyed and had a new engine put into the boat.

The boat has 110 hours on it and .3 hours on the engine.

Link to boat: 2014 Yamaha AR190 NEW MOTOR $25000 obo

Please let me know what you think! Any guidance would be extremely helpful as I'm not too familiar with Jet boats.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would have no problem buying a boat with a new engine :)

That price seems about $4k too high though.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Brand new engine from Yamaha?

cdjeeps25

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Brand new engine from Yamaha?
yes, brand new 1.8L Yamaha Super high output.
Unfortunately the tech scratched up the body around the engine hole.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Basically he’s passing the price of the new engine onto the buyer. The boat should be expected to have an engine in proper condition, it’s the sellers problem that he has so much into it and he needs to eat the replacement cost.

...ask me how I know.

cdjeeps25

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Basically he’s passing the price of the new engine onto the buyer. The boat should be expected to have an engine in proper condition, it’s the sellers problem that he has so much into it and he needs to eat the replacement cost.

...ask me how I know.
How do you know?😬😂

cdjeeps25

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Also, could someone running the engine without water ruin the impeller blades? Or any other side affect other than just the engine?

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The pump housing is cooled by the water flowing through the engine I believe, so you’d want to make sure the bearings are good. I may be wrong about this though.

Oh yeah, let me know if you want to buy a 2013 AR190 with a new engine for $20k... I’ll have one for sale soon.

*Not actually new, it has 50 hours but you get the point.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I didn't think Yamaha sold replacement engines and the only way to get a replacement Yamaha engine was from warranty or the mothership herself. Remanufactured engines on the other hand are available from companies like SBT. I would not get one of those based off all the horror stories. Do you have all the paperwork from the engine replacement and where the engine came from? Maybe it came from a wrecked ski or boat. I'd feel safer about it than from a reman SBT engine.

There's a bunch of fish in the sea. I'd keep fishing...

Last edited:

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A new SBT (before core charges) is around $3500, and a new from Yamaha is around $12k!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sketchy story and priced too high even without the sketch.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash I had an SBT MR1 and it ran flawlessly for the 300 hours I had it, including annual analysis of the oil. From my initial research, the SBT complaints were specific to some other engine models (which were trouble prone straight from the factory).

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I would pass on that boat only because I don't think I could trust that seller's story and he want's full price,

You sell a boat, it leaves your driveway, then the buyer brings it back not working and you give him his money back, then you figure out the engine is toast and has to be replaced ?????

A very unusual transaction,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh yeah, let me know if you want to buy a 2013 AR190 with a new engine for $20k... I’ll have one for sale soon.
I'd much rather buy Abovethebest's boat, he's been a member here for a while and we know the story of his boat, to me knowing the full story gives me a much better feeling of getting what you pay for,

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anything with major work to the engine/replaced engine is an automatic no go for me. You are most likely going to inherit someones demons. Not to mention the boat is priced a little high, even for the normal California premium on Yamaha's.

cdjeeps25

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
I am going to try and get the boat and trailer for 20K. I havent seen many used yamahas for sale in Nor-Cal.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The pump housing is cooled by the water flowing through the engine I believe, so you’d want to make sure the bearings are good. I may be wrong about this though.

*Not actually new, it has 50 hours but you get the point.
I think that’s a bigger issue with seadoo’s carbon seal setup then Yamahas intermediate bearing. But been proper engine/pump alignment would be a concern since it hasn’t been run much. Though again it’s a bigger concern with seadoo’s than Yamaha.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I am going to try and get the boat and trailer for 20K. I havent seen many used yamahas for sale in Nor-Cal.
Just make sure it’s not a rebuild from a second rate engine company. Plenty of threads with pics and stories of hack work on greenhulk and pwctoday.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Will be following just because I have a new engine as well. However it came directly from Yamaha and was installed by a certified dealer.