• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Optimal Subwoofer placement/venting (non IB)

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking for some feedback on the best way to vent my subs. I've searched and seen a few guys with a similar setup, @Drift Away , @FloJet and a few others.

I have 2 Jl 12w3s off a M1000/1 inside the large port helm storage compartment, and although it BANGS I want to "redeploy" them for better output and aesthetics. The most logical place is under the seats, I would just get boxes (prob sealed due to space) built and put one on each side under the benches.

To vent them, I want to try something different, and place the vent facing towards the bow behind each of the seats like in the pic, that way I can get the max venting area helping to increase the output...theoretically??

I saw another member created his own vent using some ss vented sheet metal and it came out nice, so I'm leaning towards something like that or just perhaps buy the vent in the screenshot below from Roswell, or others I've seen on earmarks site that would allow for sufficient venting.

Looking to get the best sound out of these, and venting would help, wondering about placement under the seats as well if that matters.

Taking boat to a shop in Havasu tomorrow to look at this and installing the JL M880 towers and another amp in the coming weeks.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed.

upload_2018-1-26_15-44-30.png upload_2018-1-26_15-48-35.png Subwoofer vent.jpg

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
IMG_6180.JPG Here's what I did. Love it. Hits hard, no rattles.

IMG_6178.JPG IMG_6182.JPG

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is how I vented my seats for my subs. I now have three holes cut out vented. One is facing the captains chair but I don't have a pic of that one yet. To be honest the bench behind the Cap chair is the best location for me. I was able to build and put 2 (15") subs/boxes in there. lol Nice big area. I used to have 12s. 3 picture is with my 12s in there. I will post my new setup soon when I'm done with it.

Attachments

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Markk That's a neat port...and very inconspicuous. Does it let enough of the sound escape?

@FloJet those 15s must pound..what kind of subs and power are u running. I'm most interested in how you vented it towards the captain chair as that's my plan as well.

Im strongly leaning towards splitting the subs up, one for sure behind the captain chair and the other either behind the passenger chair or back in the port helm with a larger vent so the bow gets some of the low end.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Markk That's a neat port...and very inconspicuous. Does it let enough of the sound escape?

@FloJet those 15s must pound..what kind of subs and power are u running. I'm most interested in how you vented it towards the captain chair as that's my plan as well.

Im strongly leaning towards splitting the subs up, one for sure behind the captain chair and the other either behind the passenger chair or back in the port helm with a larger vent so the bow gets some of the low end.
Haha so far one of them really pounds. I going to be installing the other this week. I am running JL HD1200 to each one of them. The subs are classic MTX Thunder.

I will try to get more pictures of my setup in the next few days. Basically the vent hole behind the captain chair is the same 6" cut that are in the other pictures I posted. So now I have 3 vent holes.

May I suggest that you do not split any of your subs up. You might get Phasing of them. In generally the subs need to be next to each other. Now for you being able to hear them all around the boat no matter is all about your crossover setting. The human ear can't pin point where the bass is coming from under 90-80 hz. So if you set your amp crossover around here or lower, no ear will be able to pin point where the subs are located. That's how you can make it seem that no matter where you are standing the subs are right there. The ear can't determine where it's coming from. I try to avoid the battery compartment as there is too much interference there. One of my friends put his sub in the porta potty area but I love that area for my storage too much and I did not want to cut holes there to vent them out. The bench behind the captain chair just has plenty of room to add nice bass.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@FloJet Wait....what....1200 on each 15? That must sounds incredible...sealed or ported?

Do you feel the 6" hole is enough to properly vent the larger 15".

Any rattling?

I have my 2 12s in the same place as your buddy....did he vent them at all?

I've heard about phasing but figured there could be a way around that, to help with storage to avoid phasing?

I've seen a few people with subs in diff locations.... @Drift Away have you experienced any audible diff with your subs in diff locations.

I'm not opposed to the putting them in that location but it does limit the storage but the helm would now be open again since that's where I keep them.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haha yup each sub is getting 1200 watts. To be honest I wish I could put 1500-2000 watts on them. But JL don't make such amps and I don't use nothing but JL amps. They are sealed boxes I built. My first prototype box for them were ported but I was off by an inch or two and they would not fit in the storage area. Next winter I will build new ported boxes to fit in there but I don't think I will need them. Only time will tell after hearing them in the open sea this coming season.

Well I have (3) 6" inch holes and yes I do feel they are adequate. The mistake I feel like I made was I should have put 3 holes in the cabin but that might have been too much. When I lift the seats up, there is not much loss of sound output while they are down. They work for what you are looking for. They create a second resonate box for your subs so they hit extra hard when done right and tuned right. I had my (2) 12" Fosgate punch P3s in there and they hit pretty darn good.

I could never imagine putting subs where you all have them. I hate losing that storage area. I keep my big buoys in there and table and lots of other things. Behind the helm area is not feasible because maybe only one sub can fit in there. You might be able to run low profile boxes in the bow area seating tho.

I do not get rattling whatsoever really. Only time I get that slightly is when I face my subs towards the gunnel. Which they hit harder but at the expense of some rattling.

With the porta potty area, bow storages, and swim deck storage areas, I really have plenty of storage room. Plus the ski locker down low can be utilized for storage if need be. :)

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just
@FloJet Wait....what....1200 on each 15? That must sounds incredible...sealed or ported?

Do you feel the 6" hole is enough to properly vent the larger 15".

Any rattling?

I have my 2 12s in the same place as your buddy....did he vent them at all?

I've heard about phasing but figured there could be a way around that, to help with storage to avoid phasing?

I've seen a few people with subs in diff locations.... @Drift Away have you experienced any audible diff with your subs in diff locations.

I'm not opposed to the putting them in that location but it does limit the storage but the helm would now be open again since that's where I keep them.
Its a little deeper in the box i think. I dont hear it flutter as much when i put the power and bass to

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great info, I think I will weight the options of moving them into the same location, under the seat behind the captain and likely use a combination of a JL 10" speaker grill and also vent right behind the captains chair that way I can let the most bass escape, or maybe just do 2 10" vents, but I want to try to make it as inconspicuous as possible if that makes sense.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great info, I think I will weight the options of moving them into the same location, under the seat behind the captain and likely use a combination of a JL 10" speaker grill and also vent right behind the captains chair that way I can let the most bass escape, or maybe just do 2 10" vents, but I want to try to make it as inconspicuous as possible if that makes sense.
I do understand. I just don't know if you can do a 10" cutout. If I recall the most you can get away with is 8" without losing the bench's integrity.

I have leds under the bench so at time it has a nice glow to it with the holes.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here are pics of the vent hole behind captain chair.

Attachments