• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ordered Hyundai Ioniq 5 today

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Put a deposit down on a Hyundai Ioniq 5 today. Will be 6 months before I get it (hopefully sooner, but I'm not holding my breath).

Has won many major car of the year awards. Getting the Limited AWD model.

1667620279828.png

Attachments

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Nice treat for retirement..I like the way your starting out. Good for you!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
TFLEV.com just ran one across the county. They have rated it pretty high. Please give your impression of it when you get it.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'll be interested in hearing your driving impression once you have had the car for a period of time.

Hyundai did a great job with the styling of this EV and it is priced in the area that we would like when we buy our next car (probably in 18 months).

Jim

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Did the dealer have one? Was wondering what the leg and headroom was like in the front and rear. It looked good in their video but always hard to tell.

You can't be beat the price for the Limited. Been looking at the Ford Mustang Mach-E (probably a few years down the road yet) and the Limited pricing is pretty reasonable and the Hyundai warranty is hard to beat too.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Now I need to decide on which home charger is best...any advice here?
What does the Ioniq come with? if it has an adapter for level 2 charging via a 220 outlet, that's probably all you need. (I completely understand that the phrase "that's probably all you need" has no place in this forum!)

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Now I need to decide on which home charger is best...any advice here?
Look at Utility Incentives. Also depends what statistics do you need from it.
I would install the 240 outlet and get plug in version.

From hardwired I would get Tesla charger they just started to sell non Tesla version.

some other ones:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian Just adding to the fleet, or are you ditching an existing ride? Hopefully the Q7 is sticking around for boat duty right?

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think I mentioned in the other thread that my son sold my(his?) 2013 Tesla S and bought one. He loves it.

I use a Tesla charger and an OpenEVSE charger. Chargepoint makes a decent home charger also.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
What does the Ioniq come with? if it has an adapter for level 2 charging via a 220 outlet, that's probably all you need. (I completely understand that the phrase "that's probably all you need" has no place in this forum!)
Yeah - need to know what it comes with. A level 1 is a no-go, especially for full EV. Level 2 is 100% the way to go, and the higher amperage the better. Even if you have a 220v it is probably on a 30amp breaker. Add a 60amp breaker and some 6/3 wire to really enjoy fast charging and future proof your self. That is what we did for the Tesla. For the Jeep it is overkill but still leaves us good for any future EVs.

For the Jeep we bought this charger:

For yours I would like at a minimum a 40 amp charger.... but if the car can accept higher than go the with highest and upgrade your panel accordingly.

Also be aware of outlet type (of what you install and what you buy) They can look similar but are different. (NEMA 14-50 vs 6-50)

You are probably aware - but installing breakers is very easy. No need to pay someone $1000 to do it. Hardest put is running wire through the attic, if needed.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah - need to know what it comes with. A level 1 is a no-go, especially for full EV. Level 2 is 100% the way to go, and the higher amperage the better. Even if you have a 220v it is probably on a 30amp breaker. Add a 60amp breaker and some 6/3 wire to really enjoy fast charging and future proof your self. That is what we did for the Tesla. For the Jeep it is overkill but still leaves us good for any future EVs.

For the Jeep we bought this charger:

For yours I would like at a minimum a 40 amp charger.... but if the car can accept higher than go the with highest and upgrade your panel accordingly.

Also be aware of outlet type (of what you install and what you buy) They can look similar but are different. (NEMA 14-50 vs 6-50)

You are probably aware - but installing breakers is very easy. No need to pay someone $1000 to do it. Hardest put is running wire through the attic, if needed.
I've never installed a breaker....not sure I'm up for that!

The Ioniq has super fast charging, faster than some (all?l Teslas)
img-2021-tesla-model-3-lr-awd-v3-sc-dcfc-soc-time-comparison-20210512.png

I assume I'd want to fastest charger (most amps?) that I can afford and am able to at home?

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

View attachment 190668

I assume I'd want to fastest charger (most amps?) that I can afford and am able to at home?
Based on what you’ve done to your boats, adding a breaker is a piece of cake. YouTube will show you how. Just turn off the whole panel, even though people will tell you they leave it live. And yes, get the best you can afford. But seriously, a plain old Level 2 will get you 30 additional miles of charge per hour. So you’ll always be charged every morning for anything beyond 110v.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

View attachment 190668

While true this is a bit deceiving based on what I read about the Ioniq. Charge rate at home should be almost identical (I believe). The chart shows nothing in regards to voltage, which I think the Ioniq can do up to 800v.... those 800v stations are probably hard to find right now.

But yes hooking up a breaker is easy.(Especially if you have room already)... Take your panel cover off, knock out two holes. for the breaker. Punch a hole where ever the wire comes through.... hook up 4 wires, place breaker in place... put cover on.. done.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Quick google search... looks like you can go with a 48a charger and use a 60amp breaker. That will give you the fastest at-home charging speed for that vehicle. Wire is expensive so I would plan out your garage parking situation to see if you can get the charge port of the car close to your breaker box.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
COuple of guys and I were talking about EV's at lunch and the majority of this thread came up. We all agreed on a few things, which is rare for a group of engineers.
  • That design is pretty polarizing, however 4/5 of agreed it was good. One hated it. Seems to be the trend now days. I like it after seeing one in person out in CA a few months ago.
  • Home charging is where it's at for most of us. However only 3/5 of us have enough service to provide 60A for a dedicated charger. The other two live in smaller homes that only have 100A service into the building. No idea how that equates to charging with other normal loads on the system, but we all seemed to agree it feels like shaving it close.
  • We all agreed that having to order a car sucks. We're all interested in seeing what's out there, getting test drives, and understanding how living with a vehicle would work on a daily/weekly basis, but without a showroom presence it's all reading online reviews. While online stuff is nice, it's often time little things that can make/break the experience and getting your hands on something will flush that out in a hurry. Stupid state of used/new car market is all we can really blame here.
  • We planned a few trip son ABRP with the Ionic 5. Not a single person thought that the stops would be too long. I was really surprised on the agreement here considering the older demographic of the group.
Congrats on the new ride @Julian can't wait to see your review on it.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
COuple of guys and I were talking about EV's at lunch and the majority of this thread came up. We all agreed on a few things, which is rare for a group of engineers.
  • That design is pretty polarizing, however 4/5 of agreed it was good. One hated it. Seems to be the trend now days. I like it after seeing one in person out in CA a few months ago.
  • Home charging is where it's at for most of us. However only 3/5 of us have enough service to provide 60A for a dedicated charger. The other two live in smaller homes that only have 100A service into the building. No idea how that equates to charging with other normal loads on the system, but we all seemed to agree it feels like shaving it close.
  • We all agreed that having to order a car sucks. We're all interested in seeing what's out there, getting test drives, and understanding how living with a vehicle would work on a daily/weekly basis, but without a showroom presence it's all reading online reviews. While online stuff is nice, it's often time little things that can make/break the experience and getting your hands on something will flush that out in a hurry. Stupid state of used/new car market is all we can really blame here.
  • We planned a few trip son ABRP with the Ionic 5. Not a single person thought that the stops would be too long. I was really surprised on the agreement here considering the older demographic of the group.
Congrats on the new ride @Julian can't wait to see your review on it.
They had two at the dealer when I was there (sold already). I didn't get to drive it, but sat in all the seats and played with all the buttons. I was happy with it.

I have two 100amp panels in my garage. One has 2 old breakers that used to connect water heaters, assume I could just tap in there (swap breaker to correct amperage) and mount charge station right next to the breaker panels?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
They had two at the dealer when I was there (sold already). I didn't get to drive it, but sat in all the seats and played with all the buttons. I was happy with it.

I have two 100amp panels in my garage. One has 2 old breakers that used to connect water heaters, assume I could just tap in there (swap breaker to correct amperage) and mount charge station right next to the breaker panels?
In theory that should be fine. Take one out and up to home depot to make sure you get the right one for your box. It's a bit overwhelming all the different breakers they have lol.

Making it that close will save $100's in wire.