• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Out with the old and in with the new...

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Now that the 2010 sold locally in 8 days. Got a SMOKIN deal on a brand new 2016 Limited S E series (OTD mid $50's)! It's a LOT of boat when considering the '17's and features for the $$$ Coming from a 2010, really looking forward to the new layout, and technologies.

We really struggled with the fixed bimini like others did, it grew on me, my wife immediately liked it. We figured we spend most of the time on the stern or the bow... in the sun. The cockpit area is mainly used by those seeking shade or doing other activities seeking shade/shelter. (eating, working etc.) The deal breaker would have been if I would have had to duck under it all the time. At 6' 2" I can walk cleanly through without ducking, maybe a slight duck heading out of the cockpit to the bow. Biggest concern was from the stern to the cockpit. Coming from the limited with the bimini up was kinda a PIA to always be ducking under.

Now the question is, with articulating keel, fins or no fins? I'm definitely gonna give it go without and make a decision from there. This is now my 6th jet boat, so I'm pretty comfortable with the maneuverability of the jet boats, just curious what others thought.

Any updates beyond stock to consider? (not looking at perfect pass or stereo)

Thanks for any insights!

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Congrats! You will love that bimini on hot days! This is my thread on all the things I've bought or added to my boat!

People love that I have plenty of charging ports for phones! Phones burn through batteries on the lake.

I think all boats should have a fume detector.

Next thing I'm working on is the GPS mount....and running wires for it....

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the upgrade.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Now that the 2010 sold locally in 8 days. Got a SMOKIN deal on a brand new 2016 Limited S E series (OTD mid $50's)! It's a LOT of boat when considering the '17's and features for the $$$ Coming from a 2010, really looking forward to the new layout, and technologies.

We really struggled with the fixed bimini like others did, it grew on me, my wife immediately liked it. We figured we spend most of the time on the stern or the bow... in the sun. The cockpit area is mainly used by those seeking shade or doing other activities seeking shade/shelter. (eating, working etc.) The deal breaker would have been if I would have had to duck under it all the time. At 6' 2" I can walk cleanly through without ducking, maybe a slight duck heading out of the cockpit to the bow. Biggest concern was from the stern to the cockpit. Coming from the limited with the bimini up was kinda a PIA to always be ducking under.

Now the question is, with articulating keel, fins or no fins? I'm definitely gonna give it go without and make a decision from there. This is now my 6th jet boat, so I'm pretty comfortable with the maneuverability of the jet boats, just curious what others thought.

Thanks for any insights!
Congratulations on the purchase! I have the same boat and LOVE IT! I had fins on my 19' but haven't seemed to notice a need for it on this one with the articulating keel. Give it a whirl around the lake and I'm sure you'll probably pass on them to start.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Thanks for any insights!
Congrats on the new boat! Sounds like you have got yourself an insane deal!

Regarding upgrades, I would recommend two:
1. AK Cobra fins -- not so much for maneuverability at no wake, the traditional use of steering enhancements for jet boats, but rather to enhance steering ablity at speed. Particularly when slowing down and turning at the same time. Those new hulls like to track strait! and also keep in mind E-boats have basically no reverse at speed.
2. Trim tabs; depending on where you boat of course, but if you venture anywhere open water - I would not want to be without.

Here are my own experiences with those two mods, FWIW:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2016-ar240-cobra-fins-magnum-ak-w-fangs-install-and-first-impressions-plus-ez-locks-refresher.11530/
https://jetboaters.net/threads/trim-tabs-options-wake-surfing-and-cruising.12031/page-2

Out of all other "performance" mods, I think ribbon delete and Lucky 13 cones are worthwhile, too.

--

fraserjr

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@sofakingbig I got my 2016 E-series in September of last year and only got to take it out a handful of times before it started to get too cold. As of now, I don't see the need in adding fins. I had the old cobra fins on my 2006 AR210 and feel like my 2016 handles just as well if not better with the stock articulating keel. Interesting point that @swatski made about turning at speed though. I may have to pay more attention to that when I get out this season. I am also not wet slipping with the new boat so just getting on and off the trailer is about all the precision moves I need to make.

Sounds like you and your wife had the same discussions about the fixed bimini that I did. I love the sun and she wanted to shade for the kids. In the end I think its a good compromise. I don't have to mess with the bimini going up and down and we still have the huge bow to sit in if we want the sun. I also like the idea that I could possibly enclose the cabin with isinglass if I wanted to.

Congrats on the boat! As for upgrades, there are a few I have adopted (the sliding battery tray and amp install) and also my thread on adding mid-cabin speakers. I am sure I will have some others but in my mind the e-series removes the requirement for perfect pass and some of the other things the non e-series boats lack.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@fraserjr @AndyD I think that's exactly what I'll be doing is taking it out and if I find the need to add the fins I will. From those I've spoke to and read about, there is no need, but we'll see! I had the exact older cobra fins @fraserjr mentions on my 2010, it made a significant difference on that model since there is no articulating keel. We trailer ours every weekend, the wife is a pro at backing and staging, we are in/out in under a minute; I prep, she backs me in, she goes and parks, I pick her up at the dock and we're off, no messing around, dump and go, I suspect handling will be same or better than my 2010 with the fins! I think I will end up being an advocate for the larger bimini. Typically, if we're in the boat, we're doing things to get out of the sun, so I think it will work out just fine. Plus I really like the aesthetics!

A couple other questions;

How is the stereo system, I understand it's not gonna crank like the 242x, but is it reasonably loud to be hears at a decent distance away from the boat? (I'm not looking to add subs, amps etc.)

@swatski What exactly do you get with the ribbon delete and the Lucky 13 Cones (I understand their purpose), Is it significant gains in HP, thrust, fuel efficiency? Do the benefits outweigh the costs? Those cones aren't cheap at $300 per...

I'm looking at a new anchor too, with the bimini acting as a sail, I want something with a bit more holding power like the 7lb fortress. Will it fit in the bow locker?

Keel guard, is 9ft sufficient for the 2016 (what I had on my 2010)?

Thanks for all the help!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski What exactly do you get with the ribbon delete and the Lucky 13 Cones (I understand their purpose), Is it significant gains in HP, thrust, fuel efficiency? Do the benefits outweigh the costs? Those cones aren't cheap at $300 per...
I would NOT think of either of those as a must have. But can be very nice. The ribbon delete gives more power across the range and a gain of ~200RPM on top, can be done as a no-cost mod (just removing the ribbons) or with the $40 per engine "kit" (RIVA intake mod). I would say - if AFTER breaking her in and putting some hours ont he engines you are not getting to 7,600 RPM (or beyond) at WOT - I would probably do it. It just makes the engines breath more easily, increasing the air supply.

The cones are all about the pump efficiency. You probably do not need those unless you are pulling a lot. I would say that anyone who doing wake surfing, heavy duty wakeboarding, etc. would benefit.

--

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would NOT think of either of those as a must have. But can be very nice. The ribbon delete gives more power across the range and a gain of ~200RPM on top, can be done as a no-cost mod (just removing the ribbons) or with the $40 per engine "kit" (RIVA intake mod). I would say - if AFTER breaking her in and putting some hours ont he engines you are not getting to 7,600 RPM (or beyond) at WOT - I would probably do it. It just makes the engines breath more easily, increasing the air supply.

The cones are all about the pump efficiency. You probably do not need those unless you are pulling a lot. I would say that anyone who doing wake surfing, heavy duty wakeboarding, etc. would benefit.

--
@swatski We don't do a lot of pulling so the cones wouldn't be something I'd need. Now the ribbon delete, does it void your warranty? I would think it would run lean and/or burn more fuel, losing it's fuel economy? I guess I'm not clear as to why the factory would even put them in if you can just pull the throttle body off and pull them out?

Jaime

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Thanks for any insights!
Congrats and great choice.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@swatski We don't do a lot of pulling so the cones wouldn't be something I'd need. Now the ribbon delete, does it void your warranty? I would think it would run lean and/or burn more fuel, losing it's fuel economy? I guess I'm not clear as to why the factory would even put them in if you can just pull the throttle body off and pull them out?
It's not going to cause your motor to run dangerously lean and I wouldn't be surprised if you also picked up a very small amount of fuel efficiency. The ribbons are basically flame arrestors. As to why they are in there, well you can thank the safety freaks and EPA for it. You should see how corked up a new dirt bike comes from the factory lol and all the de-smogging involved just to make them run as they should have. Coast guard requires a flame arrestor so if you go near them be sure to run an air filter that has the flame arrestor mesh (RIVA, K&N, etc).

Congrats on the new boat! It's time to update your profile and signature :winkingthumbsup"

As for fins, I haven't driven the 24's with the full length keel but even my 2016 AR192 with the articulating rudder+rideplate keel I don't feel the need for fins or more maneuverability. I say try it for at least a month without adding fins and see how you like it. If you find you still have trouble I would add some Cobra fangs and products.

Last edited:

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@haknslash Thanks for the info! My wife and I are avid snowmobilers and ride 3-4k miles on our Ski Doo's in the winter and, oh boy, let me tell you about 2-stroke emissions and EPA restrictions! LOL! I'm pretty confident I can save the $$ on the fins for another project, as I'm confident I won't need them based on the info I'm seeing. @swatski @haknslash As far as the ribbon delete, it's literally that easy, pop the throttle bodies off, pull the ribbons out and button it back up?

Thanks for the limited performance mod advice!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Its amazing some of the deals up North (I'm assuming WI), here in DFW 2016 Limited E-series are still been sold for $63k plus fees. And people are buying them...so the market is in high for them.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Pirana I'm in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago, as close to WI. as you can get. They like to negotiate, seems to be all about volume. The more boats they can get out on the water, the more they'll sell themselves. If someone wants a new one, guess where they're going... yep, to them since they have the territory locked up! Plus they're a good dealer, they take care of their customers. (granted, I buy winter toys from them as well) so I may be biased.