• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Over heating warning

Bob S

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Today, I started my 210 and just moved if from the boat ramp to the dock ( about 6 minutes ). Then a overheating engine warning came on. I'm not sure if there is something blocking the intake. It was dry stacked for the winter.

Any ideas.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
spiders? You can always run a string trimmer line from the outside to clear any blockage which might cause an air lock in the line.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Typically from debris in the jet pump causing a lack of flow into the manifold that distributes water to the exhaust and engine. It could possibly be if the holes that inject water into the exhaust stream are plugged with salt. I suggest you watch this video to help diagnose your trouble.

Bob S

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is a very good video. Very informative. The boat has never been is salt water. I was unable to get under the boat today. I hope it's just a visual blockage. But I don't know.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Probably just a twig wedged on the impeller.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check the strainer screen on jet nozzle

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tow valves closed? I did that once. Cam

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Water temp coming out of the flush ports/drains on the side of the hull - if it is very hot it could be indicative of some issues. Keep in mind though, those outlets could be blocked (with not water coming out) and that alone would not affect engine cooling in any way as those are really just indicator outlets.

EDIT: Man, I LOVE your wrap!!!

--

Bob S

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm finding lots of good help here. I can't get back to the boat until midweek to start some investigating. I'm hoping its just a blockage in the intake. Maybe a bird nest. The boat was dry stacked on the top rack. Next to the roof. This may have happened to some other guys at the same marina. But thank you all.

Cam, I not sure about the tow valves being closed. I'm not sure if I even know what or where they would be.

More research needed on my part for sure.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cam, I not sure about the tow valves being closed. I'm not sure if I even know what or where they would be.
@Bob S I'm assuming @KXCam22 is referring to cooling (intake) line valves that some of us install in the event the boat needs to run on a single engine. Clamping or enclosing cooling line to the inoperable engine prevents water intrusion through the exhaust during a tow (those engines are raw water cooled and if the boat is towed too fast, the "off" engine can be swamped by water backing up through the exhaust)

Stock boats do not have any intake valves. So, your problem is likely with the intakes inside the pump, of something else like a sensor or a termostat.

--

Bob S

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Over heating update. Today I checked out the clean out ports and the impellers. They looked all clear. So I put the boat in the water and check to see if the water was flowing thru the discharge ports on the side. One flowed a little slow at first then both were flowing equally. So after 15 or 20 minutes with the boat running at idle and wake mode, I took a short run at a about 35 mph and all seams good. So I'm not sure if it was a false signal or air in the water line.

Any thoughts would be welcomed

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Some times debris can make it to the inlet of the jet pump and stay there without being sucked through. Occasionally I will open my cleanouts to find something floating on top of the water. This is enough to disrupt the flow and cause cavitation. Or it could be something lodged in the impeller and dried up after pulling the boat out of the water. It just simply fell out.
I think you should just accept that these things will happen and go out and enjoy your beautiful boat.