• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Overheated port engine

Jeff Stickles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Port engine just overheated. I let it cool. It runs like I've sucked something up but there is nothing there. There is no vibrations and it has power just sounds very loud . I put it on the trailer. When I pulled the plug there was a lot of water.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was the inspection plug (on the port side) seated properly when you removed it?

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would double check to insure nothing is wedged between the propeller and the housing. Sounds like something was wedged there and pushing against the housing.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@HELP might get you some more ideas

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Loud as in " sounds like no muffler" ?? I wonder if you have a failed exhaust clamp?? Or intake clamp, thus could cause it to be loud , and take on a lot of water

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
A loose or failed intake hose or clamp would cause overheat, and a lot of water

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with the guys above. Sounds like it could be a lack of cooling water in the exhaust. That would explain the engine sounding louder and if a clamp or hose failed. One way to check would be to feel the water in the bildge. If it's warm, that's a sign of a cooling water leak.

Jeff Stickles

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks I will check the clamps and hoses.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
If you don't see any problems in the engine compartment, you may need to pull your clean out plug cover and check the clamps and hoses inthe bilge area as well. There was someone here not to long ago that had a failed clamp in there and almost sunk his boat.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You might need to connect flushing water to the engine and run it to determine if and where the leak is coming from. To me it sounds like you have lost cooling water, which would give you an overheat condition plus a louder than normal exhaust. Good luck, hope it is an easy fix.

steined

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Maybe check the intake screen on the pump? I know it is there, I just don't know where it is exactly.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jeff Stickles update your location on the profile screen, it will automatically put you on the map and maybe there is someone experienced close by that could help you look at it.

Indyjack

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would double check to insure nothing is wedged between the propeller and the housing. Sounds like something was wedged there and pushing against the housing.
Why would water stream be thinner out one pee hole. That engine warning light for overheating starts blinking

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why would water stream be thinner out one pee hole. That engine warning light for overheating starts blinking

Indyjack - is your boat experiencing problems ?

Are all the lights flashing or just the overheat? is it flashing in a repeated sequence? if the computer feels an error it will flash a sequence to tell you what the problem is, usually if you have an overheat or low oil the light will stay on continuously.

I would check to see which hole is not flowing strong and look under your rear seat and follow that hose back to the engine (just in case the factory or somebody else hooked the hoses up in a different sequence than buck's video).

Have you seen this video in our FAQ about how the cooling water flows-