• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Paint or wrap.?

sky11sky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hi everyone I do have problem my boat paint or wrap coming out and I couldn’t figure it out what to do with any body have any idea what can I do ?

Btw this is 2015 Yamaha AR210

This is how it’s looks like.

Attachments

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hi everyone I do have problem my boat paint or wrap coming out and I couldn’t figure it out what to do with any body have any idea what can I do ?

Btw this is 2015 Yamaha AR210

This is how it’s looks like.
Looks like an aftermarket wrap... coming off. Do you know the hx? Assuming you did not buy it like that new from a dealer.

--

sky11sky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wasn’t like that but it’s happining right now. And I didn’t buy from dealer. I don’t know what is the HX is. Sorry

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wasn’t like that but it’s happining right now. And I didn’t buy from dealer. I don’t know what is the HX is. Sorry
SOrry, I meant the history of the boat and what has been done by a PO(s) - previous owner(s)? I don;t think this is gel coat de-laminating or anything like that, hopefully. It looks like the boat had a "full wrap" done?

--

sky11sky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah looks like because I don’t think paint will come out like that. And may consern bottom of the boat over there pain it’s pail little bit because of the beaching the boat. I don’t know if the wrap people could also do to same thing bottom of the boat.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah looks like because I don’t think paint will come out like that. And may consern bottom of the boat over there pain it’s pail little bit because of the beaching the boat. I don’t know if the wrap people could also do to same thing bottom of the boat.
Huh, full wrap is usually mostly above the water line I think, but IDK. Can you tell what's peeling off? Wrap would be vinyl.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes the pictures are good, I’m virtually certain this is something aftermarket, most likely wrap, just based on your first picture in this thread showing some pinkish glue residue? But that is not something I know much about.
I considered a wrap, may still do it. The wraps I looked at are basically high quality vinyl, similar to factory stickers.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable will chime in!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The good news is your gelcoat appears to be fine, except some that looks to be sanded off at the keel, usually from beaching the boat.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
IDK, Looks like thick paint to me. Definetly could use a Keel Guard. the Graphics look like they have been taped around. I don't think a wrap would be on the hull, below the waterline, just the topsides, and continuous not cut out around the stock graphics. I figure a wrap might have it own design or not, but I wonder what is under that, repairs? If vinyl, a heat gun will help pull it off. But it looks like a bad paint job to me.

Last edited:

sky11sky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Idk could be anything should I take the boat some place profational.!?!?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Idk could be anything should I take the boat some place profational.!?!?
I think it depends how much this bothers you and what would the charge be... It could be very expensive, unless the bulk of it comes off easily.
Given the gel coat under the (paint?) appears intact, raw fiberglass exposed at the keel would be more of a concern than peeling paint to me, if planning on wet slipping the boat.

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jbalance

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Can’t wrap the lower side, I have been in the paint and body business for 30 years and that’s not a wrap. That a badly done quick paint job. The hull was not sanded correctly and the top coat did not adhear to the body. From the pictures you can see it was just scotch sanded and painted quick. All the top coat and areas where you can see the gray primer and red puddy needs to be sanded. Factory primer is white like the gel coat...

sky11sky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can’t wrap the lower side, I have been in the paint and body business for 30 years and that’s not a wrap. That a badly done quick paint job. The hull was not sanded correctly and the top coat did not adhear to the body. From the pictures you can see it was just scotch sanded and painted quick. All the top coat and areas where you can see the gray primer and red puddy needs to be sanded. Factory primer is white like the gel coat...

So sound like a job and need to find some one who is professional. You could know how much could cost.?

Jbalance

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Use a pressure washer and remove all the peeling paint to see what you have. Then find a local body shop and have them gel coat and refinish the boat. Could cost you from 1000 to 3000 depending on how bad it is. Find a Maaco’s and have them spray the gel coat. That will be a lot cheaper.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Use a pressure washer and remove all the peeling paint to see what you have. Then find a local body shop and have them gel coat and refinish the boat. Could cost you from 1000 to 3000 depending on how bad it is. Find a Maaco’s and have them spray the gel coat. That will be a lot cheaper.
Have you ever sprayed gelcoat? I don’t think it’s possible to not get orange peel effect. Maaco’s doing it? I don’t think so.
I could be completely wrong, but I am very curious about this.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Have you ever sprayed gelcoat? I don’t think it’s possible to not get orange peel effect. Maaco’s doing it? I don’t think so.
I could be completely wrong, but I am very curious about this.

Some info about spraying Gelcoat.

20190131_064757.jpg

Last edited:

Jbalance

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Gel coat is epoxy sprayed on fiberglass. Any shop can do it. Maaco can do it...where do you live?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gel coat is epoxy sprayed on fiberglass. Any shop can do it. Maaco can do it...where do you live?
Hmm... must be I have had it wrong. I thought gel coat is poly, but I guess the formulations must have evolved.

Edit - when I last looked into it which was several years back it was thought to be exceedingly difficult to spray or paint gel coat without orange peel effect left, necessitating extensive sanding and buffing/polishing afterwards. That’s why, traditionally, gel coat has been applied first into a mold - before casting fiberglass. That all could be old news though. IDK.

Last edited: