• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Painting Gel Coat

2devine

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a black Hull on my 242 with quite a few scratches from beaching the boat even with the keel guard. From the keel to about 16 inches up in the front I have scratches that look like someone sanded it bow to stern. I have a drop sprayer and was wondering if anyone has tried to reapply or repaint their gel coat on the hull and how it came out? How does it spray, is it thick and runs or easy to work with?

I have no experience actually painting my hull but I did have a shop do it for me. Page 2 of this thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/wrap-or-repaint.3621/page-2#post-63169 has details of the work done on my boat. After 2 boating seasons the paint still looks new.

From talking to the shop that did my boat they said it was not much different than painting a car just a little thicker.

My invoice for the work only shows the total material cost which includes the fiberglass/gelcoat repair, shop supplies and paint. The material portion of the invoice was $400 so I would assume the paint was about $200.

you shoot the gelcoat but it is nothing like painting a car it doesn't self level at all and if you have never sprayed anything like this expect to waste a lot trying to learn it and redoing it a few times, you have to block sand like crazy once dry and its some hard stuff then buff while laying on your back. if it were me even doing gelcoat work before pay someone and don't beach the boat anymore.

I'm doing some repairs, but not at the gel stage yet. currently looking into Duratec for thinning when the time comes.

@Glassman, this thread needs you as well!

Thanks for the advice- Excactly what I needed to convince myself to pay the money and stay out of trouble.

I sanded and waxed some pretty good scratches out of mine. Try it, you will be amazed. I am not a paint or gelcoat expert by any means, but the gelcoat has the color all the way through where the paint will only be on the surface and I wonder if it would just scratch through again.. If your going to sand and paint anyway, you have nothing to loose by trying to sand and wax first. I used a sanding block, went through several different grits ending in a super fine and then waxed with my high speed buffer,, scratches gone....

There is a lot of info on the innerweb about painting over gel coat. You are actually painting the boat when you use this and NOT reapplying gel coat. Gel coat is not something that can be "painted" on a boat.

I believe they are 2 part polyurethane paints for this. After obvious prep work, the typical DIY method is to roll on the paint and go over with a brush to smooth it out.

Google it and you fill find tons of info on DIY methods and products.

I have a black Hull on my 242 with quite a few scratches from beaching the boat even with the keel guard. From the keel to about 16 inches up in the front I have scratches that look like someone sanded it bow to stern. I have a drop sprayer and was wondering if anyone has tried to reapply or repaint their gel coat on the hull and how it came out? How does it spray, is it thick and runs or easy to work with?

Is the scratching all the way through the gel into the glass? If not, just sand it with some 600 then 800 and hit it with some compound and a power buffer. She'll look new again!

If you're down to the glass it might just be easier to have a re-gel it and work it out. Paint will certainly not hold up nearly as well to further beaching.

Here is a picture of some dock rash I had. I sanded and polished with a good wax and a high speed buffer and it was as good as new. No painting, no gel coating. Just sand paper, polish and a buffer. Dock rash.jpg

I assume wet sand paper but what grit did you use? I have been able to get all of my small blemishes off just by waxing or a little polish and waxing. I know it will happen. :)

I assume wet sand paper but what grit did you use? I have been able to get all of my small blemishes off just by waxing or a little polish and waxing. I know it will happen. :)
I use 600 grit wet/dry sand paper to sand out blemishes and scratches.

Make sure you use a sanding block, it is impossible to keep a even surface if you only use sandpaper with your hand, but yes, wet sand. I started with a 400 and then a 600 and 800 wet/dry sandpaper....That will get the scratches out and bring the color back, then the high speed buffer will bring back the high gloss to the sanded area. But then I started to notice other small blemishes and unwanted marks and since it was so easy I did others also...Good luck.

Sounds great. I will be waxing her up in a month and will check for a scratches or small issues.

Back