• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Pick up boat Monday

plug out blowout

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Pick up boat Monday. Never launch or loaded on my own looking for advice.

Gotta get your first scratch sooner or later. Take ur time. Screw what others think at the ramp, if they are a real boater, they will offer a hand without you asking. Have frickin fun is the first rule!

Post your location maybe someone on this forum is close to you and is willing to go show u the first time.

Make sure you test drive it before you sign the papers!

@plug out blowout Do you feel comfortable backing up the trailer? if not you may want to find a parking lot and practice that before you go the ramp, it's not fun taking 10 tries to back up and taking up two lanes of the ramp, especially if others are waiting / watching, it can really start a fun day off badly,

Make sure you look at the FAQ for lots of great tips about plug blow outs and maintainance

When you recover, dunk the trailer to cover the boards completely then pull forward to leave about the front foot or so out of water, which is usually fenders just at or above water level. Power load and steer slowlywith one motor at a slow pace, let it center on bunks then smoothly
Power it up to the bow.

Most importantly, take your time and don't be afraid to stop and start over. Learn from every challenge and you will develop your techniques quickly.

I thought it was bad etiquette (and some places against the law) to power load a boat?

GO SLOW. Once you get the boat out in open water, practice low speed maneuvering to get comfortable before returning to the ramp.

When you recover, dunk the trailer to cover the boards completely then pull forward to leave about the front foot or so out of water, which is usually fenders just at or above water level. Power load and steer slowlywith one motor at a slow pace, let it center on bunks then smoothly
Power it up to the bow.

Most importantly, take your time and don't be afraid to stop and start over. Learn from every challenge and you will develop your techniques quickly.
Thanks

there are a bunch of youtube videos you can watch

You got this man , just go slow and eazy !!

Congrats on the boat! As others have said, just go slow and you will get the hang of it in now time. Don't worry about having to abort and come around again. There have been several times where the wind and/or current shifted and started to head sideways toward the trailer. Key is not to panic and try to over correct. Just back off and go around for another attempt. I added ve ve trailer guides. I rarely touch them but it does give some extra confidence when loading the boat. It also helps when the boat is off the trailer.

Remember that without thrust, there is no steering. The first time I loaded I was back and forth with the wheel like a lunatic and the boat didn't move a bit. Lol.

I like to get a good long run to the trailer to make sure I"m heading straight in. When I get about 5 feet from the bow stop, I go to neutral and let it slide to rest. Then just give it a little throttle and you're home. Remember to make sure the steering wheel is straight before that last bust of throttle or you will scoot the stern sideways.

You got this!

I thought it was bad etiquette (and some places against the law) to power load a boat?

I just load with power......is that different? I go quick enough to get the boat to the bow stop and a quickly blip the throttle and the wife clicks on the chain and strap. Never been to a place where it was illegal and never thought of it to be bad etiquette. Been boating for close to 30 years and that's how we (my whole family and friends ) have always done it.

Last edited:
Just as others have said...have fun and go slow. Most importantly be patient with yourself!! This is a new thing/skill so it doesn't happen overnight. Congrats on the new boat!! They are addicting.

I took my first trip out on a weekday when everyone was at work and the ramps were deserted. It made me feel less stressed knowing I wasn't "holding someone up". I find it easier to turn completely around in my seat for backing then to use mirrors or the reverse camera if you have one. Since we have a ramp that allows the empty trailer to disappear from view I installed the 4' guide on poles on my trailer. They help to give me a good orientation of the trailer in the water to when loading. Someone here always has the sage advice of "Don't go any faster than you want to hit something" its very good advice for docking and loading. Also as mentioned don't be afraid to abort a load and back up and re-position. It may be annoying, you night think it looks silly to others, but thats your investment you're piloting onto that metal trailer. I felt better after watching guys spend nearly 10 minutes to load a bass boat onto a trailer (granted most of the bass boats here are 3X the cost of my 190) but it still made me fee better about taking my time.

Back