• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Picked up used Scarab 255

WaveJunkie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've had a NauticStar 230 with a Yamaha 250 for a long time. The kids are old enough now to ski and wake board. Went to a boat show. Looking at the electric boats for $300k 😵 with no hope and a sales guy talks the wife into a 2016 Platinum 255 HO very clean and has 100 fresh water hours. I'll have the boat in a couple of weeks. The dealer is installing a Scarab tower.

Is ok to run the boat using just one motor?

blthlt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Short answer, yes you can. Long answer don't do it unless the 2nd engine won't run. Requires hoses to be pinched to avoid hydrolocking engine.

WaveJunkie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Excellent thank you. I need to get a manual.
Just want to ask, is there anything I should do or check at 100 hours?

WaveJunkie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you for the link to the manual and the tow clamps.
Did a little searching. Sorry if this stuff has been discussed before.
Does everybody use those oem clamps?
And is there some kind of "tool" to have just in case something gets lodged in the water intake grates? A coat hanger ?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
You can use any large hose clamp including the OEM one. But it's easier to get a generic one somewhere.

As for tools like that, I recommend carrying a pair of super long needle nose pliers like this. Mine are 16" long.

Some also make something like this:

1682814802637.png

Some people seem to need these way more than others. lol A combination of the waters you're one and how you drive. In my case, needing any of this is extremely rare. Now at over 260h and only had one such incident and it was because I was running in 12" of water and fully knew what I was doing. Sucked up a stick but I was able to get it out. Had to swim under the boat with a mask and waterproof flashlight.

WaveJunkie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great thanks for the insight. I definitely will get the long nose and get a waterproof flashlight-
I’m looking forward to great times with this 255 when I get it in the water.