• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Picking up a 2019 AR195. Have a couple questions

80sarcade

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I am picking up a black AR195 on Saturday! Pretty pumped.
But I have a couple questions.

I will be driving her about two hours after picking up. What should bring with me as a first tow? Also I have a 4 pin connector on my SUV. Will that be a problem?

I am 6'3". I have not seen, in person, an AR. How tall is the tower, when up, from the floor? IE will I be bumping my head?

I am getting the shipping cover and the black mooring, which should I use for towing?

Thanks everyone
First time boat owner.

Paul
2016 VX Limited Waverunner

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I believe these boats still come with a 5-pin connector. The 5th pin is a reverse signal to the surge brake actuator to disable the brakes when you try to reverse. You can get away without it but you will need to lock out the surge brakes with a little key so make sure they give you that. You will also probably need some kind of adapter so that you can still connect the trailer lights.

If you wanted to install a 5-pin on your vehicle (which I would do), I believe you can just splice off of the reverse lights and run that to the new connector. Here are the different wire configurations. My trailer came with the flat 5-pin, but that was 4 years ago so I would check with the dealer what will be on your trailer.
Trailer connectors in North America - Wikipedia

You can use either the shipping cover or the mooring cover for towing. I like the mooring cover better because it hugs the hull a little better, but if it's rainy, I like to use the shipping cover because it's easier to clean. Either will handle the wind though. My preference was to drive without the support poles, but some people prefer them in.

I sincerely hope you don't have any tire issues, but I always keep a tire iron in my truck. The lugs were a different size than my Jeep or my pickup so the vehicle wrench would do me no good. I would plan on getting a spare right away if you didn't order one with your boat.

Congrats on the new boat and don't be discouraged if you struggle with it a little at first. We all did. I don't regret a minute of it!

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes. My 2019 SX190 has the 7 pin round plug. I only have the shipping cover and it secures the boat well but I put some cushioning under the Bimini so it doesn't scratch. I used the shipping cover on a 1000 mile tow and the cover got a bit beaten up. My trailer came with the brake key but it doesn't look like it will stay in over a long drive. Also, have some grease for the bearings and check them before you go.

80sarcade

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks guys. Great tips. Guess I need to get a 4 pin to round 7 pin adapter.

icemanj16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
You will love it. I have 19hrs on my '19 black 195 and its just a rocket ship. The people on here are amazing and have a ton of useful tips! Good luck!

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I am picking up a black AR195 on Saturday! Pretty pumped.
But I have a couple questions.

I will be driving her about two hours after picking up. What should bring with me as a first tow? Also I have a 4 pin connector on my SUV. Will that be a problem?

I am 6'3". I have not seen, in person, an AR. How tall is the tower, when up, from the floor? IE will I be bumping my head?

I am getting the shipping cover and the black mooring, which should I use for towing?

Thanks everyone
First time boat owner.

Paul
2016 VX Limited Waverunner
Two things about trailering.

1. The shipping cover requires that the tower be down. There is no way to secure the tower when it's down. It will just bounce against it's stops if you hit any bumps. The owner's manual states you're supposed to trailer with the tower up. If you want to use the shipping cover on your way home, see if your dealer will give you the brackets that are part of the initial Yamaha truck shipping. I didn't know such a thing existed and I trailered my new boat home with the shipping cover on and the tower loose. No damage but I don't want to do that again.

2. The 19s are a 7 pin connector as was mentioned. The little dodad that's attached to the trailer to manually lock out the surge break movement when backing doesn't really stay in place. Get the big magnet one off ebay. MAGNETIC LOCKOUT KEY FOR..UFP..TYPE TRAILER SURGE BRAKES "BACK UP BUDDY" | eBay

The tower is 74" high from the floor to the bottom of the tower under the light/ski location. Also note, don't attach a towable to the tower. Use the attachment on the stern for that.

80sarcade

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks picking the deluxe black mooring cover also. I think I will use that to tow to our lake and have the tower up.
But I will take the bimini off and store in the boat. Picked up a round 7 pin to 4 pin adapter. I am sure the marina would sell me one.... so i should have that covered.

My big next question... will it fit in my 82 inch garage door?? Been reading up and will be extending the tower bolts as much as possible to lower it. And drop the front down as low as I can. Should be close

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks picking the deluxe black mooring cover also. I think I will use that to tow to our lake and have the tower up.
But I will take the bimini off and store in the boat. Picked up a round 7 pin to 4 pin adapter. I am sure the marina would sell me one.... so i should have that covered.

My big next question... will it fit in my 82 inch garage door?? Been reading up and will be extending the tower bolts as much as possible to lower it. And drop the front down as low as I can. Should be close
You might need an adjustable hitch dropped to the lowest point to get the tongue as low as possible. I have to remove the entire Bimini and drop the hitch all the way down to back it in and even then I have maybe 1/2" of clearance from the Bimini connection points (the tower itself clears no problem) and the wood of the garage exterior. In fact, it has to push through the rubber gasket that hangs down. But it does fit. Just use a helper to eyeball it and take your time every time.

It shouldn't be necessary but on the off chance it is, search for the caster mod that some guys had to do on the first years of the AR192s.

icemanj16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@80sarcade I have now mastered the garage storage process on my '19 195. I removed the retainers on the tower completely. It sucked until i realized my daughter was small enough to crawl into the storage well and lay in there with the wrench. :) I tried to extend them but the length of the existing hardware and coupler would not work so i just left them off. Take off the bimini top first. I put the steering wheel in the most tipped up position it can go. Lay the tower on the steering wheel with my wife in the boat monitoring the clearance of the garage opening. The highest bimini mount will brush the rubber of the bottom of the garage door seal. Once in the garage i use these that i got from harbor freight to move it against the wall as much as possible:

I installed a J hook in the ceiling and use a ratchet strap to hold the tower up so that i can walk through and clean boat in garage. I can not stand it up fully as the light/tow point on top of the tower hits my ceiling.

I do all of this with a Ram 1500 with normal 2" drop hitch. Nothing special.

I have also now been towing with the prem. mooring cover on with no supports. I cut pool noodles for the top of the window frame to support the cover. Be careful of the cushions that are not hinged if you dont use the cover.

Another tip: Silicon the rear chrome cup holder trim plates. They will come off! The just twist on.

80sarcade

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Great tips. Icemanj16 and steve0617 what is the height on your garage openings?

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Great tips. Icemanj16 and steve0617 what is the height on your garage openings?
About 82" to the rubber trim and 83" to the wood. My driveway into the garage slopes uphill so I need the drop hitch to get it low enough. I didn't want to do the removal of the tower wires so I tried a different hitch. That works for me. Everyone is different squeezing these into a traditional garage. Lots of trial and error.

Tayhadasuperjet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure to remove the rear starboard cushion if towing without the cover. Mine flew out on the maiden drive home...

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The key is ONLY for backing and only if you don’t have the 5 wire connector. Don’t drive with it in place or your surge brakes won’t work!
Yeah, don't travel with the key in place.

And I bought the magnet thing I linked to above so I can unplug the 5 pin and not have the lights on underwater.

80sarcade

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks everyone. Great tips and we had a great and tiring weekend. We picked up out boat. She traveled the two hours to our cottage with the mooring cover, no problem. Got her in the water. did suck up some weeks.... but the clean out port work out great. we got through the break in period and she ran great!
Then we worked to get her in the garage on Sunday. I have a 82 inch height door.... Thank goodness for our lake neighbors! We lowered the tower cables as much as possible. (14 year old helped with this) took off the bimini and the bimini connectors on the tower. let air out of the tires, down to 30 PSI. and had to lower the tongue as low as possible (neighbors Kubota tractor was used). and backed her in slowly. Just made it!! A couple notes: it was a pain! I am going to cut out the trim boards, at the top of the garage, where the boat will go into the garage, and then put them back in with screws, so I can take it off anytime I need to put the boat in or out. That should save lowering the tire pressure and taking off the bimini and connectors off. I am getting an adjustable hitch so I can lower without a dolly. Just would need to get a jack to lower the tongue to the lowest hitch setting.
Oh and I only had the 4 pin flat and brought a 7 pin adapter. SO I did not have the surge line hooked up. What a major pain. That surge pin came out if you even looked at it.... talking like ten times and it was only myself and my wife, who was in the boat.. I am buying the magnet one, today!

Thanks again. Love this fourm

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been considering a set of these for my garage as well. Do they change directions fairly well?

I currently do the "Austin Powers" maneuver to sneak the boat over against the wall. Have to manually push/pull the thing 5-6 times to get it over there close. I've gotten better at it, but my drywall in the garage has some significant witness marks from my current "move by feel" method. Would be nice to just put these under the wheels and slide it over.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone. Great tips and we had a great and tiring weekend. We picked up out boat. She traveled the two hours to our cottage with the mooring cover, no problem. Got her in the water. did suck up some weeks.... but the clean out port work out great. we got through the break in period and she ran great!
Then we worked to get her in the garage on Sunday. I have a 82 inch height door.... Thank goodness for our lake neighbors! We lowered the tower cables as much as possible. (14 year old helped with this) took off the bimini and the bimini connectors on the tower. let air out of the tires, down to 30 PSI. and had to lower the tongue as low as possible (neighbors Kubota tractor was used). and backed her in slowly. Just made it!! A couple notes: it was a pain! I am going to cut out the trim boards, at the top of the garage, where the boat will go into the garage, and then put them back in with screws, so I can take it off anytime I need to put the boat in or out. That should save lowering the tire pressure and taking off the bimini and connectors off. I am getting an adjustable hitch so I can lower without a dolly. Just would need to get a jack to lower the tongue to the lowest hitch setting.
Oh and I only had the 4 pin flat and brought a 7 pin adapter. SO I did not have the surge line hooked up. What a major pain. That surge pin came out if you even looked at it.... talking like ten times and it was only myself and my wife, who was in the boat.. I am buying the magnet one, today!

Thanks again. Love this fourm
You can get magnetic lockout keys on amazon or eBay. Congrats on the new boat.

icemanj16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@2kwik4u I find them to be acceptable and a great solution. Once the wheels turn to the direction your moving it is easy. I do it by myself. They were supposed to have a Daytona branded version but they took them off the site... Its really the only easy way to get it perfectly against the wall. I