• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

*Pics* White Factory Overspray in Engine Bay - QC Repairs

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
***UPDATED WITH PICS BELOW***
I purchased a brand new 2016 FSH Deluxe last week. I was prepared to receive a boat with all of the little quirks that were spoken of in this forum. That was a good thing because my boat just about had all of them. Kinked jet wash hose, leaky through hulls, poor use of silicon, iffy craftsmanship, wavy combing pads, etc.

While cleaning up the factory manufacturing grime in my boat, I started noticing lots of white overspray. The overspray was on the bottom of my center console (on the black plastic frame footrest part) and in the engine bay on various pieces. It was even on my decorative engine cover. :-( It is nearly impossible to take it off. Its like gelcoat or something... It would take hours... There were lots of white paint drips on the grey floor the changing compartment too.

Maybe I am too picky, but this was a big "kick in the pants" for me as I like to keep my stuff real clean and in showy condition. This just shows really poor craftsmanship. Really poor. What is this company thinking? With all the little things wrong and now this, I am feeling really down man.

I am trying to find if any other boats are like this, or is mine just a isolated case?

Last edited:

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Really?
"Pics are worthless" if the quality pictures are so bad that you cant make out the detail about what I am talking about.
Like I said, I got a fine overspray overspray over the engine. Its hard to get a clear picture of it. I couldn't...
So I just wanted to throw this out there for (FSH owners only) to see if they had white overspray on their engine too.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm just trying to figure out why they were spraying anything in the engine compartment while the engine was in there.....sounds strange.

I assume you didn't notice this stuff when you did the walk through of the boat upon delivery?

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I'm just trying to figure out why they were spraying anything in the engine compartment while the engine was in there.....sounds strange.

I assume you didn't notice this stuff when you did the walk through of the boat upon delivery?
I didnt have a formal walk-through-

I bought the boat brand new from a dealer 3 hours away. I drove up to the dealership to do the paperwork. Boat wasn't cleaned yet.
They delivered the boat to me a week later as part of the agreement of the sale. Saved me the trip back...
When I got the boat, it was hardly cleaned. Was very disappointed. Dust & grime everywhere... I saw some white speckles, but it just looked dusty.
The delivery driver was just a kid who didn't know anything. typical.

I am also wondering how this over-spray got there. Thays why I was reaching out to the forum to see if anyone else has this overspray in misc areas of the boat.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
So I bought a new phone to take good pics. It was long overdue anyways. So here are the pics of the over spray.

IMG_2584.JPG IMG_2584.JPG IMG_2572.JPG IMG_2573.JPG IMG_2574.JPG IMG_2577.JPG IMG_2579.JPG

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That sucks. Still can't figure out why they'd be spraying anything in the engine compartment....unless they missed some spot during initial hull layup? @JetBoatPilot have you ever seen this before?

Lesson to everyone here...crawl all over your boat before you take possession. Don't let the excitement of getting it cloud your judgement!

When I picked up my 242X I was literally on my hands and knees crawling all over the place. Even then, I missed 2 gel coat issues that I showed the dealer when I brought it in for its first service....and they fixed them under warranty! (Way to go Chatlee!!!).

JDinfla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That's alot of overspray

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not to this extent. I would have the dealer swap the boat out with a new one or have someone come get it and bring it back clean and worthy of your $30K+ investment!

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Someone should get fired. No pride of workmanship. Very disappointing. I would not want the dealership using their best guess at a solvent to "clean" it and damage the surface material in the process. Who knows what the overspray is. Heck, it could be the result of a gelcoat repair. Chances are you'll suffer consequences further down the line. If I were you, I'd have them replace the engine cover and other really noticeable parts.
Or, if you have a really bad temper, make them take the boat back and get you a new one; I couldn't pull that off.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Not to this extent. I would have the dealer swap the boat out with a new one or have someone come get it and bring it back clean and worthy of your $30K+ investment!
Agree for sure.

Did you talk to the dealer. Send them these pics and let them know this is unacceptable.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I bought this boat from a dealer 3 1/2 hours away. I was going to go through them for all of this, but I have a Yamaha dealer that is much closer that has agreed to take it in and start the warranty repairs etc. I was worried about bringing it to a different dealer, but I guess its all Yamaha so it doesn't matter.
I wish they would just give me another boat. Looks like this is going to take time... Back and forth with Yamaha, etc...

Aside from this, I have a laundry list of repairs. But worse of all, the boat's engine is just flat out dying randomly whenever I hit some waves or take a big turn (over 6500 rpm.

1. (Biggest Issue) Engine randomly dying. Coming to complete stoppage above 6500 rpm. ? Have to reset w key. No trouble codes. Bad kill switch? ***Fixed***
Adjusted rear hatch kill switch and problem went away.

2. Port side combing pads (wavy / bad stitching)

3. Jet wash hose kinked near pump

4. Over-spray all over engine area. Engine cover

5. Over-spray and white paint drips inside center console.

6. Center console changing area has scrapes/damage from manufacturing on grey painted surface

7. Anchor locker drain hole missing through-hull fitting

8. Both floor scuppers leaking. Water going into storage compartment.

9. Switch cover missing for "Docking Lights" (recall) flew off in travel somewhere

10. Misc gel coat imperfections, chips , etc

11. Center console gel coat very thin. Can see fiberglass texture behind gelcoat finish. Not smooth

12. Fish locker drain fitting looks unacceptable. Poor silicon job to cover up a manufacturing mistake. Will leak in future.

Yeah, Im pretty bummed out. Who knows what else is wrong with it.

Wish someone from Yamaha reads this forum and they decide to give me a NEW BOAT and DON'T DICKER AROUND trying to fix the over-spray, etc. I payed the same money as everyone else... I deserve a new boat.

My dream of owning a new boat has quickly become a nightmare.

Last edited:

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Starting to sound like this was a used/demo boat that was cleaned and reconditioned and sold as new. Too many things make it look that way to me.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1. (Biggest Issue) Engine randomly dying. Coming to complete stoppage above 6500 rpm. ? Have to reset w key. No trouble codes. Bad kill switch?
This is most likely the kill switch on the cleanout port hatch. The hatch may not be latched shut or the switch may be out of adjustment. Many have taped a nickel onto the hatch where it contacts the switch as a temporary solution or being out of adjustment. The permanent solution is that the height of the switch is adjustable.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Wow, I was thinking there was going to be more people out there with over-spray like mine. I guess not.

Thank you to everyone for chiming in.

Going to be firm with the dealership on this. I wonder if getting a new boat is a possibility? Its either that or they are going to have to replace a lot of pieces in that engine bay.

Starting to sound like this was a used/demo boat that was cleaned and reconditioned and sold as new. Too many things make it look that way to me.
The boat wasn't cleaned well when I got it. It had factory fiberglass shavings in the storage compartments. It seems that the factory ships them out pretty dirty. The overspray just kind of blended right in... Dont think it was demoed. This one is more like a factory reject sold at a outlet store.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
This is most likely the kill switch on the cleanout port hatch. The hatch may not be latched shut or the switch may be out of adjustment. Many have taped a nickel onto the hatch where it contacts the switch as a temporary solution or being out of adjustment. The permanent solution is that the height of the switch is adjustable.
Thanks for your response. I hope you are correct.
I thought that is what that was too. I already raised the kill switch height on that door. It looked a little low. Haven't tested it yet though. Im keeping my fingers crossed-
It seemed like a pretty big issue, but could be any easy fix. The overspray issue is the issue that bothers met the most.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The factory uses robots to spray the gelcoat. I guess one could screw up but it seems unlikely that your overspray came from the factory.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
The factory uses robots to spray the gelcoat. I guess one could screw up but it seems unlikely that your overspray came from the factory.
True to that. Im guessing that there must be a stage in production where a human goes back and touches up all the imperfections & misc. In this case, this touch up person was a hack!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would start looking for wrench marks on the motor mounts and exhaust. Swapped motor?

The condition you received the boat in, is unacceptable. Start voicing that. Squeaky wheel gets the oil.