• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

*Pics* White Factory Overspray in Engine Bay - QC Repairs

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess you missed my point in that a $ 73,000 boat should not have the quality issues that Yamaha is having. If you want to pay that much and have to fix things that the factory should have or the company warranty then go for it. It seems to me that once they came out with the 24 footers and new models that it's been issue after issue. I mean come on, the 2014's or 2015 had to have the complete dash fix because it would come loose.
I hear you, and I agree (I was being snide w/my comments).
But, as someone here says (I think it is @McMark?), there is not such thing as a new boat! They all have issues.

--

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
It might be worth hiring a marine inspector to try and find what damage was being hidden prior to your purchase.
As someone who bought a brand new truck and discovered damage underneath after getting it home and upon further investigation found where a body panel had been repainted, and hired an outside shop to find out that yes the frame was bent...I agree with @itsdgm. If there was a major repair done and purposely hidden to fool the consumer, you should be entitled to some legal recourse. If there was some minor shipping blemish and someone did a really half ass job of protecting the rest of the boat from the over spray during the repair, you can at best hope someone cleans up their mess. (I'm leaning toward the latter as I would also tend to agree that the boat wouldn't leave the factory like that.)
In either case, take your chill pill now because you will be in for a long battle. Having an aneurism only hurts you. Be diligent, document everything, and be patient. Took me a full year to get my truck replaced in an obvious "hide the damage" attempt by the dealer. That was with the help of an attorney.

Good luck.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Update:
Thank you to all for your empathy. Im worn out and it great to have the support.

So my Yamaha customer service rep called me back again today. He, Yamaha have taken back a lot of what he told me yesterday. Somehow some higher ups at Yamaha got word of my situation and then directed my rep to explain to explain things differently to me. He told me that himself. Its better, but still not what I want to hear. I personally think this forum had a lot to do with it.

Here are some points from the conversation:

*So they are acknowledging that my boat is in unacceptable condition
*They are taking back their stance on blaming the dealer.
*They now are saying that there is no proof of when or where the overspray happened. Therefore they will not assume anything.
They are saying it could have happened anywhere. Factory, etc
*They stated that they help me to get the boat to an "acceptable" condition.
*They will not fix cosmetic gelcoat imperfections on the topside of the hull that do not have anything to do anything with structural integrity of the hull.
*He said that they are not a high end boat builder and I should have lower expectations of what the finish gelcoat should look like. imperfections, etc. Strict tolerances in gelcoat fabrication is very expensive and this boat is manufactured to hit a certain price point. Bla bla bla.
*Any accessible bolt on item with overspray on it will be changed out. They are not going to remove every bit of overspray from the engine.

So the wildcard in all of this is what is "acceptable" condition? We still have to hash out what and how things are going to be fixed.
I was most disappointed when he stated that they will refuse to fix any gelcoat imperfections on my center console.
(there are areas where the gelcoat is thin and almost porus. there are also some stress chips) I thought this kind of money bought a smooth shiny boat with minimal imperfections?

I think going the "surveyor route" was a great idea. It certainly gives me more leverage and maybe some "coverup" will be exposed.

I certainly expected more from Yamaha. This "penny smart, dollar stupid" mentality might save them some money on small repairs short term, but will eventually turn people away to other up and coming jeboat builders. Some serious competition is coming in this segment.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
he dealer is a critical piece and can be a great advocate for you with Yamaha. I can imagine how upset you are.
I hope you get this handled. One thing that may have helped would have been to bring the boat back to the original dealer for this. I know it is far away but the current dealer where the boat is sitting is really a middle man and isn't going to pay for anything. I suspect the original dealer will want to inspect the boat if they are asked to pay for anything. If you are lucky Yamaha will cover everything and you will be able to build a relationship with your new dealer. The dealer is a critical piece and can be a great advocate for you with Yamaha. I can imagine how upset you are.
@rkluck
Now I know what you are talking about. Boats are not like cars. They are a different animal. Having a dealer that you trust close by to you is most important. And of course the dealer who sold you the boat will always be your biggest supporter.

Lesson learned.

Last edited:

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
So you not suppose to have your boat in the sun? BS!!
@sstegh
The customer service rep was completely ignorant and firing from the hip. He had no idea what he talking about and underestimated the intelligence of a common man like myself.
Well he took it all back today. I think his boss gave him lashings.
Yamaha has to have some employee "quality control"

Last edited:

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I hope you get this handled. One thing that may have helped would have been to bring the boat back to the original dealer for this. I know it is far away but the current dealer where the boat is sitting is really a middle man and isn't going to pay for anything. I suspect the original dealer will want to inspect the boat if they are asked to pay for anything. If you are lucky Yamaha will cover everything and you will be able to build a relationship with your new dealer. The dealer is a critical piece and can be a great advocate for you with Yamaha. I can imagine how upset you are.
@rkluck
I agree with you bud. I wish I could have brought the boat back to the original dealer from the beginning. Lesson learned here... New boats are not like new cars. It seems that all or most of new boats have issues. Especially brand new models.
Having good product support is key.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Tonkatoy It's great news that you are finally getting somewhere with all of this! I wouldn't be too worried about small amounts of overspray in the engine compartment. If they fix most of it, I would say you're heading in the right direction. I also wouldn't back down on getting the gel fixed to your expectations around the helm. We've had members here get spider cracks fixed that appeared after the boat had been used, but was still under warranty. Keep on them and I suspect they'll cave.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Tonkatoy It's great news that you are finally getting somewhere with all of this! I wouldn't be too worried about small amounts of overspray in the engine compartment. If they fix most of it, I would say you're heading in the right direction. I also wouldn't back down on getting the gel fixed to your expectations around the helm. We've had members here get spider cracks fixed that appeared after the boat had been used, but was still under warranty. Keep on them and I suspect they'll cave.
Yep. For example (different boat, but similar issues):
https://jetboaters.net/threads/spider-cracks-in-new-boat-already-with-better-pics.5819/#post-102109

And here:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/dropped-my-boat-at-the-glass-shop-over-the-weekend.10277/

--

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
So I got my boat back after 3 months at the dealer for all the warranty/QC repairs that I had. Unfortunately I had to wait another couple of months after getting the boat back to take her out because I've been so busy with work. :-( I wanted to make sure to test the boat before I gave an official update on all of the repairs that were made.

Although being extremely good with my hands, I opted to have the dealer/Yamaha make repairs to all of those nuisance quality control issues that most of us 190 FSH owners were having.
After all, why should I be making these repairs? I bought a new boat.

The dealer that did all the warranty repairs for me was not the dealer I bought the boat from. Kudos to Complete Marine in Tempe Arizona. Randy worked with Yamaha for me to ensure that all of my issues were taken care of. And then some... There was a bit of back and forth with Yamaha... Yamaha initially denied to fix some/most of these issues, but we pressed on and got them to have all of the repairs done. I do think the Jetboaters forum also helped to have Yamaha reconsider their initial stance. Yamaha was initially blaming the selling dealer, but I think they realized that they have some quality control issues going on. I would imagine all these repairs were not cheap. Hopefully it got someone at Yamahas attention.

Surprisingly, my whole center console was replace due to imperfections and an extremely thin gel coat. I wasn't expecting that, but am happy it was. The thin gel coat finish bothered me.
Then they had all the other gel coat repairs done professionally at a glass shop. They did a really good job.

Took the boat out last weekend and am happy to report that I have a dry boat now. :winkingthumbsup" Yeah!!! Feeling better about my purchase now. Just wish I didn't have to go through all this.

New buyers should take notice and have all of these issues inspected and corrected before final purchase. I guarantee that you will save yourself some headaches until the Yammie factory gets these issues sorted out. This also puts the pressure on the dealer to get the boat fixed, not yourself.
Buying a boat is not like buying a new car. Tolerances are different in boat building.

Here is the list of repairs i submitted. Fixes indicated in ITALIC

1. Jet wash hose kinked (black hose next to jet pump)
NEW BRAIDED HOSE INSTALLED

2. Port side combing pads (wavy / bad stitching/ both should be replaced)
NEW PADS PUT IN ON PORT SIDE

3. Overs-spray on center console (black trim near footrest facing aft) most of it has been clay bar’d off by me.
NEW CONSOLE INSTALLED

4. Over-spray all over engine area. Engine cover & wires. This overspray all over the engine and engine accessories, hoses, and wires needs to be addressed. Its unacceptable. Already have a call into Yamaha.
MOST OF OVER SPRAY REMOVED BY DEALER. ACCEPTABLE NOW

5. Starboard side jump seat rubs against sides when lowered and raised. Is causing damage to gel coat.
SEAT ADJUSTED AND GEL COAT TOUCHED UP AT GLASS SHOP

6. Center console changing area has large scrape/damage on grey paint (is there touch up paint for this?) This seems to been have done at the factory.
NOT FIXED. IT WAS EXPLAINED THAT THIS WAS NOT A COSMETIC AREA.

7. Anchor locker drain hole missing through-hull fitting. Stem on fitting not long enough. Does not continue all the way through to anchor locker. Water can leak to changing area from this weak seal.
FIXED WITH SEALANT, BUT NO NEW HARDWARE INSTALLED.

8. Anchor locker - Anchor holder clips cracked (over-tightened)
REPLACED

9. Switch cover missing for "Docking Lights" Clips to hold switch cover broken. Needs all new switch. New cover too.
REPLACED

10. Both floor scuppers leaking. Water going into storage compartment.
ALL SCUPPERS RESEALED. LEAK TESTED

11. Glove box latch stripped out. Latch strike cannot be tightened down. Stripped out. Will not latch closed.
BRAND NEW CENTER CONSOLE INSTALLED

12. Gel coat chip underneath helm footrest

13. Front fish locker has multiple issues. Through hull drain is incorrect size for hole. Gap in drain hole was filled w silicon. Water still leaks into compartment.
GAP WAS FILLED W SEALANT. NO NEW HARDWARE INSTALLED THOUGH

14. Fish locker has some sort of off white paint all over inside of locker. Could not peel it all out.
WAS NOT FIXED. DESCRIBED AS NOT A COSMETICALLY IMPORTANT AREA

15. Gel coat on center console very thin. There are some pores in gel coat by fm radio. There seems to have been repairs. (putty fill ins) One has popped out exposing a chip. Near FM radio.

16. Engine compartment vibration insulation not glued in center of hatch cover. Falling down.
FIXED

17. Many deck latches are loose. Battery compartment, live well, etc. All should be checked and tightened.
FIXED

18.Every through hull that I have been able to test leaks. I was unable to test through hulls that were not easily accessible. Please leak check all penetrations.
MOST IF NOT ALL PENETRATIONS LEAK TESTED AND RESEALED.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is way more than I was expecting to see. There are some anal folks so I was expecting to see a little that was no big deal. I wouldn't accept that.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Aside from all of these little things that could be taken care of with a little quality control, I really feel like I got a well designed value boat.
Its does not feel and look like a cheapo boat.

For all of those on the fence about buying one, I don't regret my purchase.
I would buy another again, but would be crawling around every corner of that boat or any boat. Thats for sure.
I also would arrange a day to look it over beforehand. Not the delivery date.
So dealer can make everything right for delivery...
Delivery day is too much of an emotional day.:)

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
"*He said that they are not a high end boat builder and I should have lower expectations of what the finish gelcoat should look like. imperfections, etc. Strict tolerances in gelcoat fabrication is very expensive and this boat is manufactured to hit a certain pricepoint. Bla bla bla"

That right there is the biggest crock of bullshit I've ever heard. What manufacturer would ever say that? Bayliners and Tahoes are at the bottom of the barrel - but I'd bet money, no company rep would ever say that.
I've dealt with Yamaha Customer Support in the past - all I can say - it was the worse customer support experience I've ever had!
Those people are IDIOTS.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I disagree with the statement that "there is no such thing as a new boat, they all have issues."

Just like 95% of things in life, you get what you pay for. I'm not saying I agree that it is the correct way to do business, I'm just saying that is how it is, facts are facts.

Do you think a Suzuki Swift has the same quality as a Bentley? Would anyone expect a Suzuki to have the same quality as a Bentley?

I'm not equating Yamaha or any brand boat to a Suzuki...it was purely an example. I understand being disappointed when you pay for something and it does not meet expectations, but at the same time don't expect a fast food employee to work at NASA.
Hey, how did you know I drive a Suzuki swift?

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Hello fan boy police
There is going to be a couple of fan boys here and there.
Is that ok?

If I had a Bentley, I don't think I would be on a Suzuki forum to remind people that they have an inferior product. If I was going to interject something worthy, I would be compassionate and humble.

Yes, you get what you pay for, but most people can't afford the best or are too financially responsible to splurge on a super luxury item.

P.S.
I used to drink the Bentley Kool Aid, but it gave me a bad case of the farts.

16'FSHSport

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This is a jetboat forum and you brought up the Bentley comment. So who was that fanboy police first? Seemed like you were making a Yamaha/Suzuki to Tidewater/Bentley comparison to me!!! (you might have said you weren't but look where it's posted)

You don't always get what you pay for is my point. A lot of high end car brands aren't all that reliable. You don't have to look far to see this. Plus the cost of maintenance on them is pretty killer. We use to say we were buying our car back after it was serviced! It's been a decade or 2 since they topped the lists in reliable brands. You know who tops the list all the time? Honda and Toyota. You know who dominates in the 24' and under boat class Yamaha. Now that is a good comparison. I'd say that for the most part Yamaha is the Honda.....the Toyota of the water. Reliable, well built boats that a lot of people can afford that are well thought out with nice amenities standard.

You own a Tidewater..............might as well be an Edgewater, Grady White, Everglades, Boston Whaler, amongst a few others that don't sell you on the word stainless because they use words like 316 and have Taco imprinted on their heels. My point was that you don't always get what you pay for. More $$$ doesn't always mean better! While we can make a list of real winners there are plenty of loosers at the same price point you bought at. I'm sure you noticed that some brands in the upper end shine while others.....not so much. You bought a Tidewater................you did a lot of homework................your basically riding around in an $85,000 boat!

Paying more for a boat doesn't always guarantee quality. You get what you research for! Just like in cars there are a lot of over priced boats that don't deliver as much as others.

Jetboats give a lot to the owner because of 2 main reasons. The cost per HP is lower so they can put more into the boat itself. The motor takes less room so you have an open stern. Of course you have to decide if you like the jet! Like all forms of propulsion it has it's pro's and cons. Dollar for dollar my FSH delivers!

Last edited:

16'FSHSport

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Who cares about Bentley???!? Since when are they the golden standard? Bentley's aren't reliability champs either!

16'FSHSport

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
OK....let's chill for a few. I am not a fanboy. I just don't think Bentley (example) is the bomb yet alone the epitome of reliable. The reality is there are problems with just about everything these days. It's getting harder to navigate in most purchases........ever buy a mattress!