• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Planning a Bimini run. How to check for weather?

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Hi @Bruce We are planning to do a Bimini run the coming weekend from Miami or Ft Lauderdale if the weather holds good. What apps do you recommend to check the weather and find out an optimal time for the crossing. Plan is to start either on Friday afternoon/evening or Saturday morning from Miami/Ft Lauderdale and start back to Miami on Sunday afternoon/evening.

Cheers
Amar

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The wind is unfortunate.

CE178B52-1568-4A7D-9385-FBBA2D86D63F.png 23D8B972-C583-4941-96B1-7AC38598399A.png

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Will this be bad crossing for a 36 footer ?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Will this be bad crossing for a 36 footer ?
It won’t be a fun crossing on any boat. Should a 36 ft boat make it across in those conditions yes if I had the choice would I cross in them nope. Even once you get there if the wind is forecasted to hold for your duration of travel it won’t be a fun time there and honestly not worth the effort or money to do the trip I would just hold for a better forecast.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
It won’t be a fun crossing on any boat. Should a 36 ft boat make it across in those conditions yes if I had the choice would I cross in them nope. Even once you get there if the wind is forecasted to hold for your duration of travel it won’t be a fun time there and honestly not worth the effort or money to do the trip I would just hold for a better forecast.
Thank you guys. The main reason for the trip is to get a cruising permit. We were specifically told that the boat has to enter USA from a foreign shore in order to get a cruising permit. In my opinion this is nuts but rules are rules. I thought we can make a quick weekend Bimini trip and come back and have the cruising permit in hand. Looks like we might have to wait for the wind to die down or pick another weekend :(

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
DO NOT expect waves to be less than three feet with winds close to 20. Expect double that. I have found all those apps absolutely suck with wave height prediction. That being said, I respectfully disagree with @Bruce. 10-12 years ago a 36 footer was considered a monster boat. Today, it's still a pretty damn big boat, it's just that 36 footers have been dwarfed by center consoles that are 40 and 50 feet or more. There are some (definitely not me) that would say if you can't make Bimimi in a 36 footer, you shouldn't be boating. Lol. It's always best to err on the side of safety. If you've never made the crossing, wait for the ideal weather window. Always nice to have a little experience under your belt before taking something like that on. Good luck!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The propulsion specs of the 36’ boat would help in determination as well as the specific make and model.

This is not the time of year to expect a fair crossing. The tropics are very active and tossing storms our way one after the other.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
It is a 2011 Formula 350 SS. Thanks

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
She is a beautiful boat.

Having spent a lot of time in Bimini without the group I have had many conversations about pounding waves with 45’, 50’ and even 62’ boat owners.

The stream is rough most of the time. Even with 36’ I would plan for nice water.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I appreciate the advice. I think we will stick to the Miami , Ft Lauderdale and Keys area this weekend. If the winds die down in the next couple of days then might do the run.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those Formulas are a little high center gravity and would be a hell of a ride!

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Those Formulas are a little high center gravity and would be a hell of a ride!
As compared to a Yamaha 24 footer ? ;)
Experienced 2017 crossing. My very first one and it is a hell of a ride.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
It looks like my crew is gunning for Bimini this weekend. I guess they want excitement. Fingers crossed the weather doesn’t get worse.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It looks like my crew is gunning for Bimini this weekend. I guess they want excitement. Fingers crossed the weather doesn’t get worse.
Enjoy, I'll be floating by you... on a carnival ship doing a quick 5 day to Bahamas nassau and half moon cay

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have an inreach so track the trip??