• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Play in steering

Huntersales

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this much play in the steering without direction change normal for a 2016 AR240?
I was going a little over 30mph in the video. Thanks!

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I asked the same thing in another thread, and I have the same amount of play. Just about a half turn before anything happens. One suggestion was to check while out of water. One person at stern, one at helm turning wheel. Check for movement/play. And you know...I still have yet to do that....

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First i would check for proper alignment on both nozzles and the rudder as well as excessive freeplay
I will say since putting on the Cobra AK fins with the fangs mine is very precise. Just a thought

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First i would check for proper alignment on both nozzles and the rudder as well as excessive freeplay
I will say since putting on the Cobra AK fins with the fangs mine is very precise. Just a thought
I have the Cobra fins and fangs and still have all the play I had prior. It made zero difference.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wanted to mark my the top of my steering wheel so I knew when it was straight. Mainly for backing off trailer but it seems there is so much slop this is not possible.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have slop in the system but my steering is the same way. I'd say that it's just that you have to turn the wheel that far to overcome the keel. If you look back you'll see that the jet wash is moving side to side when you turn the wheel but the boat doesn't turn until you get enough wash into it.

Huntersales

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did add Cobra fins and Fangs and aligned everything with a straight edge like Jeff from Cobra Jet suggested, Made a huge difference in straight-line tracking and slow-speed tracking. I will definitely look at the jet wash when I am out next. What McMark said makes since, I don't like it but it makes since! lol

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am not sure if the basic steering system has changed from 2010-2016, but I definitely have some play in my steering system. I added the bushings that @Bruce came up with and that helped a lot, but I also determined the steering box behind the helm definitely has play in it. You can also check all the bolts connecting your wheel to that box, as well as the box to the cables. Anything loose in that area will be exaggerated by the steering system. I found at least 2 loose bolts back there. Loctite them and tighten them up.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this much play in the steering without direction change normal for a 2016 AR240?
I was going a little over 30mph in the video. Thanks!

Looking at the video I think you do have more play than you should, and more than I would like.
That said, moving the wheel very quickly in reverse directions may not give the boat enough time to adjust. I guess what I'm trying to say is - may need to hold the wheel longer in one position when making small adjustments.

By all means - get behind the boat and check for play on steering nozzles by holding those while someone else is playing with the wheel. You should have almost no play. And if your system is working well and is well lubricated you should have no problem moving the wheel by turning the nozzles - again with basically very very little play.

With the second steering bar of Cobras, the system should be very tight.

--

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was bummed about the amount of input needed to come out of a straight line. I don't really worry about it now. Nothing is wrong. It's just the nature of the beast.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was bummed about the amount of input needed to come out of a straight line. I don't really worry about it now. Nothing is wrong. It's just the nature of the beast.
Agreed, and I will add that I AM/continue to be, bummed about the amount of effort required to FULLY turn the wheel at speed. I wish the fangs were bigger to add to to power steering effect. But very glad I have the additional steering bar from Cobra. With all that force needed, I can't see having it any other way.
I'd say that the steering slop and effort needed to turn at speed are the main disappointments of this boat. Otherwise 100% happy.
By the way, for reference, I have about 45-50 hours on it now. Still young.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The keel boats went to a rack and pinion with twice the travel to do the same thing that the older boats did with the regular steering basically 1/4 turn for full right or left as opposed to 1/2 turn for the same thing however check your bolts on the rack housing if they are loose tighten them and get out any excess play
As for the keel down the entire center of the boat , the faster the speed of the boat the more the keel resists turning . It is not like the earlier boats without that huge keel.

Last edited: