• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Please don’t be “them”

Chuck Buck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Recently, I went to my (finally) reopened nearby DNR launch and it was full, so I had to go to a further launch and it was backed up too. The CO said they had a fishing tourney on the lake and that’s why the delay. So we wait in line 15 minutes to get to the front of the pack to get a launch slip, and I see a little yellow jet boat tied up to the first dock with no trailer. I figure they’ll be back shortly, so I back the trailer up in front of it and wait. Well, lo and behold, a woman, a big dog, a teenager, and a guy dragging a huge cooler take their good old sweet time and saunter up to the dock and start loading their stuff on the boat. No, don’t do that while you waited in line 15 minutes, do it now while everybody and his brother are here waiting to launch. Anyway, I’m watching them, and when they got out the bimini top and started screwing it to the brackets, I lost it and moved over to the other side of the dock where another boat was ready to pull away. By then, our boy was trying to start the engine and it was just cranking and cranking and cranking, no fire. Being a Merc 175 SportJet like mine, I knew the carbs needed priming (hence my rewiring the fuel priming pump from the starter solenoid to a N.O. pushbutton switch and B+), and he was still fiddling around with it while I dropped my boat, tied it up, parked the truck and trailer, jogged back, and started my engine. I almost beat them away from the dock. I’ll bet these are the same kind of folks who pull up to a pump at a busy gas station, go inside, take a dump, shop for snacks, and then drive away without buying any gas. When it’s my turn to launch, you bet I’m ready to go and I jog back from my vehicle so I don’t hold anybody up when it’s busy. And when I come in, all the tying down and removing stuff takes place away from the dock. I try to be as considerate as possible to others who are waiting. “Do onto others” and all that. Now, had they shown the least bit of consideration, I would have offered that I usually warm up my engine on the flushing hose the day I’m going out, just so it fires with minimal cranking at the dock. However, I just knew I was going to pipe up about their lack of urgency at the dock and thought it better to just say nothing. Do us all a favor, please don’t be “them.”

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I think it is the great Robin Trower that sang "Takers get the honey. Givers sing the blues" in Too Rolling Stoned.

I think about that line often when i get in a situation like that.

BrentEB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Best to take a few deep breaths. You never know when it will be your turn to hold things up because something didn't go as expected.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya it gets annoying, chick with a jet ski today backed it in, hopped on the ski and road off for a good 10 minutes while her SUV just sat on the launch with the trailer in the water. I backed in the same time her, (all this by myself btw) got my 24ft boat off the trailer, tied up in a empty slip next to the dock, pulled my truck away and parked it, walked the 400 or 500 yards back to my boat, and got my top open before she came back and moved her rig. I didn’t really care, no one was there at the time, but right after she got her rig out of the way about 4 trucks with boats pulled up. I can understand a slight delay or issues, but being inconsiderate just because people don’t care about anyone else that might be waiting is frustrating.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I get it.

So i am coming off Lake Michigan into the ramp at Pentwater lake. There are 6 boats lined up to come in. Then a huge decked out Mastercraft with about 14 people come roaring up. Thinks he is goiong to cut the line but this guy with a big pontoon lets him know otherwise. Any how it is my turn , my trailer is parked 150 feet from ramp, easy backup. We prep, i go to ramp jump out and hope in suv and start backing. Dude with the Mastercraft trailer backs in. I get out and ask him whats up. He says i have been waiting twenty minutes. I said i understand, but your boat is back inline 5 more boats. So his trailer is in ramp right in front of my boat in the water. He tells me i should have gotten my trailer first. His boat isnt ready in line yet. After 10 mins he pulls his trailer out of the water and the i yank the boat. I was talking to myself all the way back to the room.

Last edited:

Chuck Buck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
You never know when it will be your turn to hold things up because something didn't go as expected.
Absolutely, and I'm probably the first person to offer help when I see someone struggling. However, a little courtesy goes a long way.

Chuck Buck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Then a huge decked out Mastercraft with about 14 people come roaring up. Thinks he is going to cut the line...
One day, Mastercraft boy is going to pull this on the wrong person and someone is going to end up ventilated.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have determined that as a cranky old bastard (56) that I no longer have the tolerance or personality to deal with the ignorant boobs at the ramp on weekends and God forbid holidays. I now limit my boating to week days and feel like I will live a longer life because of it and keep needless assault charges from clogging up my calendar. If my colorful language offends any of you I am sorry (not really). You all have a safe holiday weekend.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have determined that as a cranky old bastard (56) that I no longer have the tolerance or personality to deal with the ignorant boobs at the ramp on weekends and God forbid holidays. I now limit my boating to week days and feel like I will live a longer life because of it and keep needless assault charges from clogging up my calendar. If my colorful language offends any of you I am sorry (not really). You all have a safe holiday weekend.
I can hardily wait for the day that i can consisyently go during the week. Unfotunately, it mostly weekends and i got to put in my time.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Stories like these make me feel better about my anxiousness around the idea of switching from a slip to ramping it. I may be green, a noob, or inept, but I ain’t an A-hole!

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
HAHAHA, our age is showing, cuz I know it was James Dewar that sang it, Robin only makes guitars sing.
RIP James. His voice on bridge of sighs was amazing complement to Trower’s guitar. Glad Trower is still making music.
Music and the good Lord above get me through dealing with that make me want to remove someone’s fingernails with a spoon.
The struggle is real. Good days always come back :)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The problem is in thinking that people are intentionally doing a "wrong" to you when in fact they are usually just stupid.
Huh, you may be right. Good way to look at it

ScreaminJay

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The problem is in thinking that people are intentionally doing a "wrong" to you when in fact they are usually just stupid.
Hahaha this wins the internet today. Totally on board here.

Diybrad

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had my new 242 for only a few weeks here in Clearwater and that was enough for me to decide I didn’t want to deal with ramps. The jet skiers are by far the worst. The hang around the docks after they lunch and talk with their trailers still in the water with their music blasting. That’s after they cut line to launch. Maybe they think since they are smaller than boats they can go first.

I am now peacefully stored in a high and dry.

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Towed a boat in yesterday and was “buzzed” by a couple on a ski twice while they were going around 40. Another in their group thought he would be cool and go between us since we were obviously going to slow before he saw the rope and nearly got thrown.
I completely understand their appeal but it seems 90% of them seem to lose any ability to act rationally or be considerate.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I think it is the great Robin Trower that sang "Takers get the honey. Givers sing the blues" in Too Rolling Stoned.

I think about that line often when i get in a situation like that.
I think I like you.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
One of my favorites from Rob: