• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

please help 2016 yamaha 242 LES

Johnlj1992

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
i am a fairly new boat owner and am having issues
the boat is only going to 8 mph then revs up horribly if i try to go any faster almost as if it has a governor on it
i called the dealer but they are 8 weeks out for service and am not wanting to wait that long if it could be something simple
please let me know if somebody has dealt with these issues

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i am a fairly new boat owner and am having issues
the boat is only going to 8 mph then revs up horribly if i try to go any faster almost as if it has a governor on it
i called the dealer but they are 8 weeks out for service and am not wanting to wait that long if it could be something simple
please let me know if somebody has dealt with these issues
Are you getting rpms and no thrust? (Clenout plugs)

Johnlj1992

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
yes hitting 4000-4500 rpms the cleanout plug was left open while on lake for a couple of hours also..

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
yes hitting 4000-4500 rpms the cleanout plug was left open while on lake for a couple of hours also..
If they are not seated properly you will get no thrust and a lot of rpms. It will cause little to no cooling to your motors. Make sure the cleanout plug is fully up and locked

When you inserted the plugs did that solve it or not. Couple easy things like spark plugs. You might check your oil levels, put a level on the motor if on a trailer and check. I always check mine on the water after I change the oil. If your oil is over filled you may want to look at the air filters. There may be oil in the filter if it's over filled.

Last edited:

Johnlj1992

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
do you know if it would be an immediate fix or would i have to ride around for a bit?
the drive control on the connext screen was also giving me issues but that could be of no thrust i suppose

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
do you know if it would be an immediate fix or would i have to ride around for a bit?
the drive control on the connext screen was also giving me issues but that could be of no thrust i suppose
I dont have a connext , so no help here. @swatski @Mainah would be my first persons I would ask

Johnlj1992

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
sorry i said cleanout plug it was actually the drain plug that was left open

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Immediate fix for the thrust? Yes that should be , if your talking about cleanouts. If the drain plug was out . How much water got into the engine compartment? Like how far up the engine. Did the ecu get wet?

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
sorry i said cleanout plug it was actually the drain plug that was left open
If you have rpms and no thrust , it is probably cleanouts not seated completely. If you dont have ezlocks on your plugs. I would get them asap.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If your stuck on the water or in urgent need you can put @ help without the space and people will be alerted.

Johnlj1992

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If your stuck on the water or in urgent need you can put @ help without the space and people will be alerted.
no the boat goes up to 8 mph so we just idled it back to the lift but thanks

Johnlj1992

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you have rpms and no thrust , it is probably cleanouts not seated completely. If you dont have ezlocks on your plugs. I would get them asap.
do you know where i could get those?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Three possibilities;

1. The clean out plugs are not installed.

2. Something is in the pumps, kill the engines, pull the clean out plugs and feel for anything in there.

3. The impellers or some other pump parts are severely damaged causing cavitation.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I assume that when you got back to the lift you placed your boat on it and let the water drain. Am I correct? If so once you put the drain plug back in did you restart the engines and take the boat back out and did it get back up to speed?.

As to the clean out plugs I have had it happen to me. In each case it was because I did not seat the clean out plug correctly, however I have never had both plugs blowout at the same time. I would recommend that when you put them you give the a good tug to ensure they are seated properly. [flag]

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lots of great suggestions @Johnlj1992 above this. @Bruce pretty much laid it out in one post.

Johnlj1992

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I assume that when you got back to the lift you placed your boat on it and let the water drain. Am I correct? If so once you put the drain plug back in did you restart the engines and take the boat back out and did it get back up to speed?.

As to the clean out plugs I have had it happen to me. In each case it was because I did not seat the clean out plug correctly, however I have never had both plugs blowout at the same time. I would recommend that when you put them you give the a good tug to ensure they are seated properly. [flag]
yes as soon as we saw that we let it drain then went back out but nothing had changed

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Johnlj1992 based on your signature your boat would still use the older cleanout plugs with the "dogs", not the newer screw-in type. As already suggested make sure those are sitting in completely, locked and not "crooked".

I doubt your impellers are that bad to explain your issues but if you stick a phone camera into the cleanout ports you can shoot some oics of those and post here, also take some through the intakes under the hull.

E-series boats can be finicky with low battery power, so make sure you check that - are the batteries fully charged? and all the connections tight? The Connext uses tachs for routing information, so make sure the connections on the Connext and tachs (behind the helm/dash) are not loose.

Check the map if there are any forum users nearby, people here are very helpful and may be able to meet you and give you a hand. You can list your (approximate) location in your signature, too, that may help.

--

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
make sure you dont have anything wrapped around the impeller. You take out the plugs to check this. I have had something stuck and get almost identical to what you are saying....idle, but when you give it gas, RPMs increase with little or no thrust. If you are getting an abnormal vibration when you try to accelerate it is another indication that something might be stuck in or wrapped around the impeller(s)