• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Please Help <can't get intake grate back on '16 Yamaha VXS Ski>

beb0102

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I got a rope stuck in a '16 Yamaha VXS and took off the intake grate. I simply can't get is back on. It seems like it is being blocked by a black rubber seal. I am a novice - so also looking for advice with what I need to seal the screws with - assuming I can get to point where I can use them.

Thank you for any assistnce.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hopefully you were able to figure it out. The parts catalog on many parts dealer sites can be helpful to see how thing go together.
I am not sure about the skis, but you may want to seal around the grate edge too. Something like life caulk that is not permanent.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
As far as sealant, some use 3M 5200. Do a little search of this in the search tool and you’ll find discussions about resealing the grate. Removing the grate is a lot more work than you want to go through whenever you get something stuck because you have to thoroughly seal it and let it dry each time. This could ruin your day. Here’s a video that is in the FAQ section of this forum that explains how to remove the pumps. Doesn’t take long at all. Hope this helps down the road.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got a rope stuck in a '16 Yamaha VXS and took off the intake grate. I simply can't get is back on. It seems like it is being blocked by a black rubber seal. I am a novice - so also looking for advice with what I need to seal the screws with - assuming I can get to point where I can use them.

Thank you for any assistnce.
Are you talking about the black "fingers" that slide into the rear of the intake grate? If so, you will have to also remove the rideplate to get the intake grate back on.

beb0102

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yes - the black fingers are the barrier. Is removing the ride plate difficult? and thank you for the response. I appreciate it. :)

beb0102

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
As far as sealant, some use 3M 5200. Do a little search of this in the search tool and you’ll find discussions about resealing the grate. Removing the grate is a lot more work than you want to go through whenever you get something stuck because you have to thoroughly seal it and let it dry each time. This could ruin your day. Here’s a video that is in the FAQ section of this forum that explains how to remove the pumps. Doesn’t take long at all. Hope this helps down the road.
Thank you so much! It definitely ruined my day... I'll watch video for next time.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes - the black fingers are the barrier. Is removing the ride plate difficult? and thank you for the response. I appreciate it. :)
Not difficult at all, I believe its 4 bolts also. Just undo them, drop the ride plate and install the intake grate with the fingers in the voids. Then reinstall the ride plate after that.

beb0102

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I'm in Tampa as well. Odessa area - off of Boyscout Rd. Thanks again.

beb0102

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Not difficult at all, I believe its 4 bolts also. Just undo them, drop the ride plate and install the intake grate with the fingers in the voids. Then reinstall the ride plate after that.
Do I need to seal the bolts and/or the plates when finished. Sorry for all the questions. I'm a novice... Thanks again!

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do I need to seal the bolts and/or the plates when finished. Sorry for all the questions. I'm a novice... Thanks again!
No worries, ask away.
Some folks add blue Loctite to the bolts which also seals them and protects the threads. Do not use Red Loctite on the bolts, that will pretty much be permanent. that is all you really need to do, no other sealing is required.