• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Please Help - Trailer Bunks Scratching Black Hull

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This has likely been covered already but my question is fairly specific. I have a brand new 2016 242 ls with black hull. The trailer bunks are already causing surface scratches which may be more visible simply because a black hull. Yes I am loading and unloading the trailer correctly and no there is not any foreign material in the bunk fabric.

As I see it I have a few options to resolve this and would like to know what the general consensus is on these or other options.

1. Replace with better fabric ... if so what?
2. Coat bunk fabric with 303 fabric guard
3. Coat bunk fabric with spray silicone

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This has likely been covered already but my question is fairly specific. I have a brand new 2016 242 ls with black hull. The trailer bunks are already causing surface scratches which may be more visible simply because a black hull. Yes I am loading and unloading the trailer correctly and no there is not any foreign material in the bunk fabric.

As I see it I have a few options to resolve this and would like to know what the general consensus is on these or other options.

1. Replace with better fabric ... if so what?
2. Coat bunk fabric with 303 fabric guard
3. Coat bunk fabric with spray silicone

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
I have a Black Hull AR240 from 14' and all I do is coat the bunks with Silicone Spray. . . . . . No markings on the hull so far.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think part of the reason I like a boat with a white lower hull....those scratches show a lot less.

Does your bow stop have any movement? And are you making sure your boat is tied down securely so it doesn't move at all while being trailered? (IE the stern straps are always tight)

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Julian - First time I had the boat in the water I replaced the stock bow roller with a Stoltz ultimate as recommend by many here (thanks so much) as the stock one had already caused fine scratches. The boat is tied down securely at all three points on the trailer. When on the trailer the scratches continue for a ways ahead of the bunks indicating being caused by loading and unloading. The ramps I use are all proper concrete hard ramps and the trailer is backed in until the top front of the bunks are just touching the top of the water for loading. Black hull certainly shows more and I see regular use of polish or rubbing compound in my future.

@0627Devildog - Seems to be what I have heard before but wondering if anyone has tried anything else.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am thinking that since the Shorelander trailers cheap out in other areas perhaps the bunk fabric is low grade as well.

I have already converted the 5 pin to a hardwired 7 pin (all the late model vehicles that are rated to tow more than 5k lbs that I know of have 7 pin from the factory so why would shorelander put a 5 pin on a 24 ft trailer?). I did the stoltz ultimate bow roller .. the cheapness of the stock one has been well covered and once anyone sees it for themselves I don't think they understand just how cheap the stock one is. I have new tires and wheels on order already because the tires are about as cheap as they come. Then fenders well lets just say I was not aware diamond plate was made that thin and mounting it to plastic as opposed to making a full diamond plate fender is certainly a cost and quality cutting measure. Hence I arrive at my question did they cheap out on the bunk fabric too? Is there better bunk fabric out there? If not what has everyone else done?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A white hull doesn't hide everything...

HullScrape.JPG

Don't buy UBB's and make sure you're bunks are well secured.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A white hull doesn't hide everything...

View attachment 37331

Don't buy UBB's and make sure you're bunks are well secured.
Yikes - Now I am even more concerned that I need to rectify my issue before it becomes more serious like yours. UBB's ????

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Bill D Wasn't that on your winter to-do list?!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also makes me wonder....do you drive on sandy/gritty/gravel roads? If so...perhaps some of that is getting thrown up on the bunks....just a tiny amount would turn the bunks into sandpaper....I'd think thicker carpet would help with that....

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If u use silicon spray... don't u latch the boat untill u at in the water...that stuff is slippery

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If u use silicon spray... don't u latch the boat untill u at in the water...that stuff is slippery
Good point. @0627Devildog what has been your experience? Do you keep the bow hooked to the strap until floating? If not have you ever been worried the boat would slip off while back down the ramp?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Also makes me wonder....do you drive on sandy/gritty/gravel roads? If so...perhaps some of that is getting thrown up on the bunks....just a tiny amount would turn the bunks into sandpaper....I'd think thicker carpet would help with that....
At times but most of the time no. I plan to bring a hand broom with me next time I put in so I can sweep off the bunks. I am also going to loosen the bunks with the boat on the trailer to make sure that are getting full contact with the flat part of the boards and then retighten. I have been searching the web for bunk carpet and it would seem there is the stuff under the CE Smith brand and then there is the stuff everyone else rebrands. Does anyone know if the CE Smith carpet is any different/better? Is there a different material that I could try?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's the way my hull was when I bought the boat... It was a combination of the Ultimate Bunk Boards, and the condition they were in. They had a couple spots that were very saggy because the lag bolts had stripped out. That caused the boat to ride on the high spots and bounce around a good bit, basically sanding the hull in those spots. I noticed the bad shape the bunks were in when we water tested, but didn't think it was something that would prevent me from buying the boat. After all, new bunks were only maybe $200. When I changed them, I moved them slightly and that's when I saw just how bad it had gotten. Otherwise I would have never seen that part of the hull, it was either under water or on the bunks on the trailer. @Mainah It took years of using bunks in poor condition to get that bad, so I wouldn't worry just yet.

@bobbie It is number one on my to-do list, but we ran into complications with the repair shop over the winter. :sour: I've temporarily sealed it up, but I want it perfect, so someday it'll have to go to the shop.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have some scratches and scuffs that where from sand in the bunk fabric. Must have been there from the guy next to me on the ramp powering his boat onto his trailer and agitating the sand next to me. I noticed when i got home, and the next time i put it in the water i inspected the bunks and found the fabric full of sand. So now i check them every time before I back it to retrieve the boat.
I guess i will try silicone spray to minimize it as well, but the sides of the boat got a decent scuffing on them already from 1 single trip home and back to the water with sand on the bunks.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I noticed when I was taking my trailer for inspection that my bunk boards had dissolved (about 6 months ago). As a result, the last load (or several?) were basically against the metal supports holding what used to be the bunk boards. As a result, there are so many scratches being able to find any attributable to the bunk boards is not really possible.

Gee, I wish I had scratches from my boards instead of the supports...

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am thinking that since the Shorelander trailers cheap out in other areas perhaps the bunk fabric is low grade as well.

I have already converted the 5 pin to a hardwired 7 pin (all the late model vehicles that are rated to tow more than 5k lbs that I know of have 7 pin from the factory so why would shorelander put a 5 pin on a 24 ft trailer?). I did the stoltz ultimate bow roller .. the cheapness of the stock one has been well covered and once anyone sees it for themselves I don't think they understand just how cheap the stock one is. I have new tires and wheels on order already because the tires are about as cheap as they come. Then fenders well lets just say I was not aware diamond plate was made that thin and mounting it to plastic as opposed to making a full diamond plate fender is certainly a cost and quality cutting measure. Hence I arrive at my question did they cheap out on the bunk fabric too? Is there better bunk fabric out there? If not what has everyone else done?
What size bow roller did you put on

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good point. @0627Devildog what has been your experience? Do you keep the bow hooked to the strap until floating? If not have you ever been worried the boat would slip off while back down the ramp?
The 3 ramps I generally use are not so steep that it has ever concerned me. . . . . . . . That said, I always leave the bow hook taught until I am ready to launch. I have Veve Guides on my trailer so I usually go deep enough to let her float right off, since I don't have to worry about her going out over the trailer.

Also, full disclosure on my trailer bunks and silicone spray comments. . . . I generally launch/retrieve the boat only 3-4 times a year because she usually stays in for the season, since I have a place on the lake. So I do not do an extensive amount of trailering other than to and from the dealer once (round trip 160 miles) per season for maintenance/winterization.

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@Mainah you could always try not power loading your boat, i.e., put the trailer in a bit deeper, and float the boat over the bunks. Once the bow is secured to the trailer, pull the trailer slowly out of the water and the boat should center itself on the bunks. This is what I do.