• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Poll, Warranty, will they cover it? Gel coat spiderweb cracks 😵

Will they cover it under warranty?

• Yes, welcome, we are a company with integrity and value our customers.

• No, no matter what, we’ll fight with you and make you hate us a little

• Maybe, but you have to fight for it

• No, that’s due to you using a non Yamaha specific wax and therefore voids the warranty or some other

• Other...

Results are only viewable after voting.

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
2018 Yamaha 242x. 100 hrs on it. Serviced and ready to go for the summer. Had it out once this spring on Folsom lake.

Noticed these today...

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That should be covered. I would think

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I doubt inside radius non structural mold induced cracks will be covered.

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I called service and sent in pics. They’d said prob not but let’s see.

My opinion, really? Wtf?

He said every single other boat company would say yes. But since it’s only cosmetic Yamaha would prob say no. But let’s try, maybe fight for it. It’s 11 months old.

I guess I know where they cut corners.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I looked at the new 21s and when I opened the closet I could see the wall in front of the hinge flexing, Very thin construction and I bet that area will be all cracked up within a year or 2. Granted its not structural or a safety concern but it looks like crap. As stated here many times before, if something is thousands of $$s less it has to show up somewhere, no way around it.

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Got a call from dealer.
Yamaha says let’s grind it out and see if there’s an air void. If there is it’s covered. If there’s not, then you have to pay for repair. Wtf?
FU Yamaha.
I will not recommend Yamaha to anyone. I still like my boat, but Yamaha customer service is a bunch of inbred jerkoffs.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe they know you are friends with @swatski, so you are receiving the same treatment.

Kind of sad to think the bitting our boats took in 2017 and did not get this kind of Spider cracks, but then out of the blue you get one a new boat.....

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had the same thing happen in the same place a couple months ago. If they grind it down and find an air void, they will cover it. I had to agree to the same thing, but they did ultimately cover it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I still like my boat, but Yamaha customer service is a bunch of inbred jerkoffs.
What can I say? lol.
(“Well said” comes to mind)

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’ll bash Yamaha every chance I get. Inbred jerkoffs. Clearly don’t care about their customers or reputation after purchase.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Got a call from dealer.
Yamaha says let’s grind it out and see if there’s an air void. If there is it’s covered. If there’s not, then you have to pay for repair. Wtf?
FU Yamaha.
I will not recommend Yamaha to anyone. I still like my boat, but Yamaha customer service is a bunch of inbred jerkoffs.
Take it above the dealers head and try to get to the next level of customer service, or go on social media if you must. Less than one-year old flagship vessel and this shit is happening?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you going to fix it anyway? If so, whats the harm in letting them grind it out to see if they will pay for the repairs. If not, then what are you complaining about?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
It looks like there was an impact of some type that may have caused that, any idea if/what might have impacted in that area? But aside from that, I agree, story upon story of Yamaha customer service has left a bad taste in my mouth about how they operate.

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I believe that’s a dirty water spot. I will make sure tonight. Nothing has ever hit there to my knowledge. I’ll clean and polish it up with a new pic.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe that’s a dirty water spot. I will make sure tonight. Nothing has ever hit there to my knowledge. I’ll clean and polish it up with a new pic.
If it is a chip, I wouldn't expect the cracking to be the result. Especially in that shaped area like that.

Had a ski handle fly back at the boat last season and chipped a spot on my swim deck. Chip is about the same size (assuming that's a chip), and I have no cracking in the area on mine.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It looks like there was an impact of some type that may have caused that, any idea if/what might have impacted in that area? But aside from that, I agree, story upon story of Yamaha customer service has left a bad taste in my mouth about how they operate.

View attachment 91964
I would take a guess that is dirt, does not look like an impact to me. Very easy to check from up close.

BTW - I’ve have the same exact looking spider cracks in the same spot - since the boat was brand new the week I brought mine home. I brought it back to my dealer to have a couple of cushions replaced under warranty (due to stains/marks) and the dealer offered to fix those gel coat cracks under warranty.

I ended up not having the gel coat work done as it would have taken 2-4 weeks out of my prime boating season which was just not worth it. I figured that’s relatively easy post-season fix (if you have ever worked with gel coat). Yamaha OEM gelcoats are available so color matching is a non issue - that’s 90% of the work DIY.

My overall experience with Yamaha warranty claims is that if you go through a good dealer, like mine, with items that do not require Yamaha‘s central customer service command approval it seems to be an easy process. Again, when it’s up to a dealer that you have a good working relationship with things are fine.

However, once the customer service takes over, and god forbid there are any liability considerations (like it was the case with my tower locking mechanism failure) you’re basically completely screwed. They will drag the process forever and try to make you feel stupid. Proper documentation and court action is the only resolution it seems.

In my case it took almost two years of back and forth directly between us and the customer service (and legal?), very bad experience, mostly just waiting, with my dealer pretty much rolling his eyes. The most ridiculous, frustrating, and unnecessarily wasteful customer service fiasco in my experience. No written communication from Yamaha was the most frustrating part, they are incredibly slippery.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Ah, ok - from the pic it looked like a chip but now that you mention it I blew up the pic and it does look like a dirt spot.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would take a guess that is dirt, does not look like an impact to me. Very easy to check from up close.

BTW - I’ve have the same exact looking spider cracks in the same spot - since the boat was brand new the week I brought mine home. I brought it back to my dealer to have a couple of cushions replaced under warranty (due to stains/marks) and the dealer offered to fix those gel coat cracks under warranty.

I ended up not having the gel coat work done as it would have taken 2-4 weeks out of my prime boating season which was just not worth it. I figured that’s relatively easy post-season fix (if you have ever worked with gel coat). Yamaha OEM gelcoats are available so color matching is a non issue - that’s 90% of the work DIY.

My overall experience with Yamaha warranty claims is that if you go through a good dealer, like mine, with items that do not require Yamaha‘s central customer service command approval it seems to be an easy process. Again, when it’s up to a dealer that you have a good working relationship with things are fine.

However, once the customer service takes over, and god forbid there are any liability considerations (like it was the case with my tower locking mechanism failure) you’re basically completely screwed. They will drag the process forever and try to make you feel stupid. Proper documentation and court action is the only resolution it seems.

In my case it took almost two years of back and forth directly between us and the customer service (and legal?), very bad experience, mostly just waiting, with my dealer pretty much rolling his eyes. The most ridiculous, frustrating, and unnecessarily wasteful customer service fiasco in my experience. No written communication from Yamaha was the most frustrating part, they are incredibly slippery.

Did you end up repairing your spider cracks yourself and if so did they return?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you end up repairing your spider cracks yourself and if so did they return?
I did one side kind of half-@$$, as I’ve been messing around with various surf attachments I tested I figured I’ll need to make it nice at some point anyway, did not look at it this year yet. One thing I can say for sure - the cracks do not seem to be expanding at all and we put a lot of weight and stress on the swim deck when surfing!

NORCAL-GAS

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Called yami customer relations, they’re closed until the 17th. They’re at some training seminar. I’ll call them bright and early tomorrow.