• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polypropylene floating dock lines

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As boating season approaches up in the Georgian Bay of Lake Huron, I have what I fear will be a big repair bill! I bought my 2014 SX240 last summer and had it out on a number of boat rides, maybe 10 in the 2-3 hour range. On the whole I like it. I'm getting the hang of docking it (nose in first, lasso the cleat on the dock from the bow, turn the steering wheel in the direction of the dock, and put the boat in reverse). I wish it was more quiet. I'm not so motivated as yet to do a DIY project.

ANYWAY.................... as the boating season was wrapping up for me, long story short, one of my docking lines went under my boat and into the jet drive, BOTH OF THEM! I accessed the jet drives and using a knife removed the rope.

As I made my way back home (15 miles), it seemed I was losing power. Then I couldn't get the boat to hardly move at all. I also noticed that the throttle was very tight. When I took the boat out of the water I saw that the "cable" that operated the the "cover of jets" that dictated forward and reverse was actually broken. As this was right at the end of the season, and this being at my "cottage" in Canada 500 miles from home, I just shrink wrapped and parked the boat, and will take the boat to a local Yamaha Marina in Canada.

THEN TODAY OUT OF THE BLUE I THOUGHT TO MYSELF, I WONDER IF THEY MAKE FLOATING DOCK LINES???? YEP THEY SURE DO! $15 ON AMAZON!

IF I HAD THESE I WOULDN'T BE FACING A $$$$$ REPAIR!

I HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE!

ALSO IS IT POSSIBLE THE SHAFT OR THE JET DRIVE ITSELF WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The sky is not falling (probably),

If you're even semi-mechanical you should be able to replace the nozzle cable, look in the FAQ above for instructions, many have done it themselves,

A picture would help us diagnose it if/when you see it again, doubtful the shaft or nozzle/bucket would need to be replaced,

It's easy to pull the shaft/impeller (FAQ again for instructions) just to make sure you have all the old rope out,

good luck and keep us updated,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I once sucked a rope up so tight it caught the steering cable and bent it,

IMG_2256.jpg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
looking at my picture above reminds me, where did the cable break?

could it have ripped the connector off the top of the bucket or did it break the connector or did the cable break in half?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you can operate a wrench, you can replace the cable yourself for $100 and 4 hours of your time (assuming you take your time).

A dealer may charge you $280 for the part and the same 4 hours to replace it perhaps up to $150/hour.

We can help walk you through it...now you just have to decide how much your time is worth.

And yes, it is possible your cable isnt broken...but just disconnected....but I assume you did confirm a break???

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As I remember the cable broke. Not absolutely certain if the connector to the bucket was harmed!

I get to spend 6 weeks a year at my cottage. When the weather is nice I wanna be having fun. When the weather is lousy, I don't want to be wet and cussing in the back of my boat.

I built my own cabin 17 years ago (for fun, I'm a hammer and saw guy, not so much grease and wrenches)), and would stay at a little efficiency apartment at a local marina. While there i got to know the "apprentice boat mechanic" who was staying in one of the other efficiency apartments. He is now the lead mechanic at the largest Yamaha Dealer within 80 miles.

Of course there is almost nothing within 80 miles of them!

He takes good care of me. I don't mind paying for work, if it works! His work works!

Attachments

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
HOWEVER....................... none of this would be necessary if I had floating dock lines!

Garrett C

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hope everything works out with the repairs to your boat @Wade Guisbert. Just be careful with the Polypropylene lines, I have been in the Navy for almost 20 years and the lines will part if kept out in the sun and water for a long period of time, we only use for search and rescue. I would hate for you to to come out to the dock and the lines part due to winds or strain. Signs to look for is the line turning white or 1 or 2 strands parting. I use lines that float and actually stretch which keep the boat off the dock. Happy boating!

Wade Guisbert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for the heads up Garrett C! I was wondering if that could be a drawback with a polypropylene line but didn't know for sure.

if I am leaving my boat moored at the dock for any period Of time I will use my nylon dock lines.

Last edited: