• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Port engine cranks fine but won't start.

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Remove and re-install the safety lanyard.
Fuse in the CDI box?
Fuel valve open?
Fuel filter clogged?

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Remove and re-install the safety lanyard.
Fuse in the CDI box?
Fuel valve open?
Fuel filter clogged?
Starboard engine starts and runs well. Checking fuses when it is light enough. Where are the fuel filters located? I didn't think they had filters. What fuel valve?

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sorry, before my 2018 FSH I had a 2000 LS2000. Seeing you had an 09, I thought like my 2000 it would valves and filters.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have had this issue twice. For me it was the lanyard switch twice.

The switch is open when the lanyard is clipped on, which means if your unplug the switch from the boat, the switch has been bypassed, and if this is your problem, the motor will start.

Best of luck

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have had this issue twice. For me it was the lanyard switch twice.

The switch is open when the lanyard is clipped on, which means if your unplug the switch from the boat, the switch has been bypassed, and if this is your problem, the motor will start.

Best of luck
With the lanyard out, the engines don't even crank. Mine crank, but the port is not firing up.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe they updated how the electric system works?

With the lanyard switch disconnected from the boat both my engines start. I get behind the panel via the binacle to unplug the switch from the wire harness to troubleshoot.

Last edited:

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It started up on the first try today. I have no idea what is going on. I did find that mud wasps were building a nest in one of the pissers, but that has happened before and never causes a starting issue.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The lanyard switch can be finicky and a affect only one engine. Glad it started!!! Keep an eye on it. I jiggled mine enough that it fixed itself, to fail 12 months later. I replaced it with one I made and so far so good, but it's been only a few weeks.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The lanyard switch can be finicky and a affect only one engine. Glad it started!!! Keep an eye on it. I jiggled mine enough that it fixed itself, to fail 12 months later. I replaced it with one I made and so far so good, but it's been only a few weeks.
So, let me get this straight, my safety lanyard switch could be causing my problem with starting? When I look at the wiring diagram, the way that it is wired, when the lanyard is pulled, the electric circuit to the engine is completely broken, nothing will run, no spark for the plugs, no juice for the starter. How does that effect the engine not firing up? The starter is turning over the engine, but it is not firing up.

Update...It worked for a while and then gave me a hiccup. We were headed out to our normal float spot after a short break at the dock when for no reason the port engine stopped. I could get it to crank, but not fire up. We were in sight of the dock, so I tried to limp home on one engine. After about two minutes, I tried the port engine and it fired right up. WTF???? Is it a loose wire somewhere?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On my boat only spark is prevented when the lanyard is pulled. It still cranks. I was wrong to think yours was identical. Maybe we can find a wiring diagram for your exact boat, and confirm what switches can kill spark. What year is your boat?

Never mind, I can see it's a 2009. Your lanyard must be different, and cut both spark and neutral switch to prevent cranking. If it has 2 connectors (one for each engine) it may be worth swapping to confirm the problem does it does not move with the connector swap to potentially rule out the lanyard.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

ross l

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Where is your fuel level? On my old boat, SR230, I ran low on gas and one of the engines cut out. I was able to idle another ten minutes on the other one before that one quit.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On my boat only spark is prevented when the lanyard is pulled. It still cranks. I was wrong to think yours was identical. Maybe we can find a wiring diagram for your exact boat, and confirm what switches can kill spark. What year is your boat?
My boat is a 2009. I confirmed through the wiring diagram and through pulling the lanyard and opening the clean out hatch that they open the electrical circuit to both motors. With the lanyard pulled and the clean out hatch open, no electric current flows to the starter or the coils. This is to prevent the impeller turning with your hand in the clean outs or if the operator is thrown overboard.
Where is your fuel level? On my old boat, SR230, I ran low on gas and one of the engines cut out. I was able to idle another ten minutes on the other one before that one quit.
3/4 tank

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On the 230 there are 2 circuits to mess with the engine's ability to start. One is the Neutral switch, which is triggered by the neutral lever and the clean out hatch. This prevents cranking, but does not cause the engine to shut off. The other is the ignition kill, and kills spark, and shuts down a running engine, but does not prevent cranking. The rear hatch triggers both circuits on the SX230, and the lanyard only triggers the spark side. These MR-1s are so reliable it's generally something simple like the switches or lanyard or loose cable. Sorry I'm so stumped on your engine not cranking with the lanyard off. I wish mine did that.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On the 230 there are 2 circuits to mess with the engine's ability to start. One is the Neutral switch, which is triggered by the neutral lever and the clean out hatch. This prevents cranking, but does not cause the engine to shut off. The other is the ignition kill, and kills spark, and shuts down a running engine, but does not prevent cranking. The rear hatch triggers both circuits on the SX230, and the lanyard only triggers the spark side. These MR-1s are so reliable it's generally something simple like the switches or lanyard or loose cable. Sorry I'm so stumped on your engine not cranking with the lanyard off. I wish mine did that.
I am stumped too. I was wondering if YDS could help? Maybe the engine is throwing a code or two when it happens?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And this is just a re-confirmation to be on the same page. On your SX210 With the clean out hatch securely closed, and the lanyard pulled, if you try to start the motors, neither engine cranks/spins/ same as no power to starter? and with the lanyard on, while you are having this issue, One engine start fine and the other cranks/spins but does not start.

Is this correct?

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And this is just a re-confirmation to be on the same page. On your SX210 With the clean out hatch securely closed, and the lanyard pulled, if you try to start the motors, neither engine cranks/spins/ same as no power to starter? and with the lanyard on, while you are having this issue, One engine start fine and the other cranks/spins but does not start.

Is this correct?
Yes, that is correct. However, I am starting to doubt that and may have combined some of the trouble shooting steps.