• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Port engine does not start... help!

Krzysiek

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Before we went to the boat ramp I decided to start both engines. Both engines started. Then I try to start them again. Starboard engine started right away without any problems. Port engine did not start second time.
I do not know much about engines.... Is it starter??? Please help. Please see the video when I try to start the port engine.
Thanks.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HELP
I'm not sure what that is.
I would be careful not to burn the starter, only crank for few seconds and give it time in between.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If one engine starts and not the other its not the battery. Battery connection at motor maybe? Even when the lugs are stacked on the battery post....if loose...the top lug can fail while the lower works.. test these first. My moneys here

Next step would be pull the plugs to eliminate pressure and see if it spins.

Assuming it was a brief initial test start.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Krzysiek. Due to the way the engine is torquing it seems to me something is binding. I would start by checking your battery connection at the starter motor but I would then check the motor mounts to make sure one is not broken or disconnected. Then I would pull the spark plugs and make sure you can turn the impeller, freely, by hand.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The engine moving is quite perplexing

I agree with the others
Pull spark plugs and turn by hand

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agree there seems to be an interference problem. Starter is getting plenty of juice and torquing the motor with some healthy force and a solid clank. I am concerned your crankshaft may be locked by a failure of some kind but don't want to panic you. Let's have more people weigh in.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Definitely pull plugs and try again. Could be the ECM issue common on those. After your test start, it held the injector wide open and hydrolocked it. Careful, it will likely shoot fuel everywhere.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Someone on greenhulk also suggested the impeller can be binding in the housing from corrosion.
Maybe?

--

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First thing I would do is pull the plugs and try to spin the impeller shaft by hand. Definitely seems bound... could be something stuck in the impeller.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Krzysiek - more info would be helpful for us,

The engine started on the trailer at the house, then you went to the boat ramp, Did you try to start the engine after you put the boat in the water or while you were still on the trailer before getting it wet?

If you didn't get the boat wet it sure seems like a internal issue and you should pull the plugs,

If you dipped the boat and got it wet you could have something stuck in the impeller (but it's very doubtful if the engine never turned over at all)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How does one turn the impeller shaft by hand? Use a belt - around the coupler?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took off the plastic cover on the coupler and used one of the rubber band cam lock things they sometimes use for oil filters.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It might be as simple as a stick that got lodged in the impeller when you launched. If you haven't already, make sure that the impeller is free of debris.

mrtoastyjr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My guess would be something stuck in the impeller or something it bound up with the impeller. Reason being, they way when the starter kicks the engine touques and stays torqued until you let go of the switch. This tells me that the crank shaft/rods/pistons have the ability to move by them self’s but something else is stopping them outside of the engine. Pull the impeller and see if it will crank.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@chess boat had the liners swell to the point where his motor would not start very fast... like while floating around and would not start when we tried to go home...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When a liner swells enough to lock up a pump you will usually notice it dragging when you try to start it the first time of the day and then it starts easier as the impeller wears down the high spots and you hear ringing in the pump when it runs on the trailer after you remove it from the water.
Since the engine started before going to the water but is locking up now I believe either something is lodged in the impellor or the bearings in the pump seized up or the engine has a serious issue like hydro lock or worse.

Krzysiek

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you all for your input.

Scottintexas - By my house I started both engines while boat on the trailer. Both engines started. Few seconds later I tried to start again. Starboard engine started without any problems, port engine did not start.

I know how to remove spark plugs. How do I turn shaft by hand? Is impeller and propeller the same thing? This is new to me. Is it something I can do it myself or do I need to bring my boat to the mechanic? Thank you!!!

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Question when you started the engine in question did it make any noises when it turned over or drag like it did not want to start or did it just kick right in and run? Also if you are not comfortable working on an engine try to get a friend who is more comfortable with them to help you, as for impellers your pump uses it to create thrust you do not have any propellers. There is a round vibration dampener on the back of your engine you can turn that to see if the engine will turn over however if there is no water in the engine meaning you did not leave the water hose connected to the engine with the water on and the engine not running then something is wrong with your jet pump, stick, rock beer can heck I even had a kids toy solder in one of my pumps once, had to pull the pump at the boat ramp to even get to it.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you would need to pull the plugs AND pull the pump to start sorting this out.
If you pull the pump off and the engine starts (or turns), you need to focus on the pump.
But if the engine is still NOT turning with the pump off, you will need to focus on the engine.

--

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I vote pull the pump. The way the engine is moving when the starter is engaged shows that there is movement on the crankshaft. If it were hydrolocked or something wrong internally with the engine, I don't think we would see the engine move like that. Pull the pump and I bet a) it starts right up and 2) there is something amiss with the pump (my vote there is something stuck in it, though that seems unlikely).