• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Port Engine Issue

MLo3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2005 AR230 and am having issues with the port engine, starboard runs fine. Engine works in neutral but when I try to give it throttle, the boat vibrates and rattles with no acceleration. My knowledge is limited but it acts like a jet ski with something stuck in the intake.

I pulled out seized cleanout plugs and replaced with the repair kit. I didn’t feel anything inside when I replaced the plugs on either side. Previously, the boat had done this before but with some throttle manipulation, the issue would resolve itself. This isn’t the case anymore.

My next step after consulting the forum is to call a mechanic. Any suggestions are worthwhile. Could this be a throttle cable issue? Thank you!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like you have something in the pump. Look from below while it’s on the trailer. The smallest piece of debris will cause cavitation and vibrations

MLo3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like you have something in the pump. Look from below while it’s on the trailer. The smallest piece of debris will cause cavitation and vibrations
Thanks for the quick response, I should add that the RPMs jump when I give it throttle. I did swim under and tried to feel for debris.. nothing.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sometimes you have to be a contortionist to reach down the clean out port and feel around the blades for debris

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will agree the odds are something is in your pump, somewhere. You’ll need to get her out of the water, so you can look up through the intake grate from underneath the boat. If there really isn’t anything in there, then my mind would go to one of two things: either a swollen wear ring, and the impeller is rubbing it, or maybe the engine is missing on a cylinder, and causing your vibration. Pulling the pump and impeller shaft (not hard, half hour or so), and starting the engine will tell you which it is. But here again, I’m still guessing it’s something hiding in there, caught in the impeller or shaft.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MLo3 If you have access to hose bib, try back flushing pump with nozzle inserted below reverse gate.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You Could also have loose/missing silicone in the pump
My cavitation issues were severe shaking/minimal acceleration

MLo3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My first check will be to pull the boat out of the water and see if I can feel anything in the impellers and intake pump. If I can’t find anything I may need to pull the pump and inspect the impeller and impeller housing.

MLo3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m hoping it’s just debris and I suspect it is since I was previously able to solve the problem playing around with the throttle.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That will cause an issue. Glad you found it