• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Port Engine Will Not Crank ... At All

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have had a number off issues this season related to starting. I thought I had everything worked out boat was and the boat was starting and running well. Last night we took the boat out and the port engine sounded very faint when cranking when we started it to leave our lift but it started. We made a stop and when we left there everything started no issues. We made another stop and then the port engine wouldn't crank .... at all. Starboard side was fine no issues. Came home on one engine at no wake speed. Situation was the same today in the light. Starboard is good noththing happens when I try and start the port engine.

I looked at the parts diagram and there are fuses, relays and a host of other stuff. Where do I start to diagnose this problem. If it was a car I'd say bad starter or starter wiring harness.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not familiar with the specifics of your boat, but I'd start with making sure you've good connections to the battery from both the positive and negative leads - check BOTH ends of the cables.

If you've ruled that out (and any safety switches that might inhibit starting) I'd start working my way along that wiring diagram making sure all the connections I can get to are tight.

After that it's time to break out a volt meter and go device-by-device.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
check that you have spark at the plugs using a spark plug tester. I expect you will not which narrows it down to spark/electric.

When you say nothing happens when you try to start, do you hear any cranking at all? If not, I would check the cleanout safety switch by having someone hold it down. Also, clean up all connections at and around the battery. Have you tested the battery (even though the other side starts... I would double check)

Next would be to check the ignition switch itself. You could try swapping them

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
check that you have spark at the plugs using a spark plug tester. I expect you will not which narrows it down to spark/electric.

When you say nothing happens when you try to start, do you hear any cranking at all? If not, I would check the cleanout safety switch by having someone hold it down. Also, clean up all connections at and around the battery. Have you tested the battery (even though the other side starts... I would double check)

Next would be to check the ignition switch itself. You could try swapping them

When I turn the key if get nothing. I thought about the hactch switch but don't they work like the lanyard kill switch where the engine still cranks but doesn't start? I thought spark too but shouldn't the battery turn the starter motor to turn the engine over regardless of spark? (If not Excuse my ignorance my HS didn't have auto shop. ) I have none of that ... completely dead. I only have one battery and the other engine starts fine so the battery is good.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Most of the time it is a bad ground from the engine to the battery you said " engine sounded very faint when cranking" that means a bad ground usually ! So got there first.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The cleanout port hatch switches and neutral position switches both prevent cranking of the engine. The lanyard disables spark and possibly fuel but allows the engine to crank.

Based on the slow demise you experienced instead of a sudden no crank I would guess that the switches are not the issue.

I would check the positive and ground connections at the batter first, then at the starter, then move on to the solenoid.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agree with what everyone has added so check connections and do the above list that I provided, then report back. Hopefully it is straight forward.

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No Joy Today on this problem. Swapped the hatch switches and they are definitely not the issue. Traced the port engine ground and hot wires from the battery and they seem ok (no corrosion, loose connections or obvious damage). Truthfully where the ground connects to the engine block I don't even see how you get to it remove it. Its all the way down the side of the engine and the connection is covered by a tightly fitted boot and you cant see it at all. Additionally the hot wire goes into the box with all the screws in the cover (I did replace that fuse in there for the hell of it with no change) and it seems fine as well. Unless someone has any other ideas I guess tomorrow morning I'll try to test the continuity of the positive and ground wires from the engine to the battery with my ohm meter.

For now I am ruling out the ignition switch since it does send power to my fuel gauge and pulse pump for my fuel water separator Swapping those involves numerous connections and I am trying to avoid creating additional issues.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You get it going?

FWIW behind the helm you can swap the wiring harness connectors for the port and starboard ignition. Which lets you quickly rule out a wiring or safety switch problem.

Kind of sounds like you lost the needle bearing in your starter and it eventually melted the brushes... Just a guess.

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
yeah not sure specifically but I had the starter replaced and that solved the problem

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does the starter relay in the ecu box click? Mines clicking but not starting. Got a new relay. If it's not even clicking, swap the ignition switch. There is no reason to try and check fuel or spark if it won't crank. After power and ground are verified, it's either the signal to the relay, the relay itself, or the starter. (Assuming clean out switch was ruled out)

MIDLIFECRISIS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Neutral position switch gets a good workout on these boats, you might check your continuity there.:thumbsup:[flag]

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
yeah I checked that first along with the hatch switches...turned out to be a starter

kikita76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2013 Yamaha SX240, the right side motor won't crank, the left motor starts perfectly. I started the right motor from the solenoid, but it won't start with the ignition key. I Installed a brand new solenoid.
checked batteries and switched the batteries both batteries are good. can anybody help???

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I have a 2013 Yamaha SX240, the right side motor won't crank, the left motor starts perfectly. I started the right motor from the solenoid, but it won't start with the ignition key. I Installed a brand new solenoid.
checked batteries and switched the batteries both batteries are good. can anybody help???
Have you checked the ignition key electrically?

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Oh and basic...have you checked the Fuse(s)?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
check the ground wire at the solenoid and use a test light on the solenoid hot wire to be sure the power is getting to it when you turn the key

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would create your own thread

Try reinserting the lanyard switch