• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Port Orange, FL neighgborhood?

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pondering buying a single family house for my kid to live in while finishing up college at Embry Riddle, Daytona. Of course there will be a room for me when I want to visit, and we'd rent out 2 rooms to her classmates. I've been down a bunch the last two years, and Daytona itself does not seem like a place I'd want her to live. Talking to police officers in Daytona sealed that deal. Next town up I have heard decent things about, Port Orange. I've been tracking houses and prices over the past 6 months, and it seems like it is a buyer's market. Not much moving and it seems folks trying to sell are asking way too much. Hence it was not unusual to see prices lowered 20k from 4 months ago on some "what appear to be" very nice homes. I understand I won't make a profit reselling it in 3 or 4 years, but renting to grad students in the future would be a possibility. Any thoughts on Port Orange, Florida?

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Port Orange isn't bad. Not as bad as Daytona on crime anyway. Frequented that way quite often during my undergrad days (went to school in Deland, 15-20 mins away) and still get up that way now and again, although not as often. More property crime than the violent kind out that way, not that both aren't bad.

Housing around the back of ERAU is a lot better and safer than anything on the other side of International Speedway if you wanted her to stay nearer to campus (I also spent most of my Junior and Senior year hanging out with my frat brothers at Riddle so I know the area well). Otherwise I would say anything out towards Port Orange or New Smyrna is a better bet.

Mike & Lilly

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Pondering buying a single family house for my kid to live in while finishing up college at Embry Riddle, Daytona. Of course there will be a room for me when I want to visit, and we'd rent out 2 rooms to her classmates. I've been down a bunch the last two years, and Daytona itself does not seem like a place I'd want her to live. Talking to police officers in Daytona sealed that deal. Next town up I have heard decent things about, Port Orange. I've been tracking houses and prices over the past 6 months, and it seems like it is a buyer's market. Not much moving and it seems folks trying to sell are asking way too much. Hence it was not unusual to see prices lowered 20k from 4 months ago on some "what appear to be" very nice homes. I understand I won't make a profit reselling it in 3 or 4 years, but renting to grad students in the future would be a possibility. Any thoughts on Port Orange, Florida?
Hello hope all is well, my wife is a Broker associate/realtor real estate is something she does because she loves helping families not for the money, we have and by we i mean I have a business that provides for my family, the reason i put that out there first i don't want u or anyone to get the wrong idea she really loves helping families in real estate and other fields where she's needed.

Ps. I'll send you her info in pm

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The farther south from Daytona proper the better it gets.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here’s what was posted as current crime maps on the Shores page. I can’t vouch for their accuracy but goes with how it feels there.

FE9C16FD-B207-47AF-885F-784A2B3FA490.jpeg 95028E9A-2CF8-4A1C-A11F-D9BCD10E6952.jpeg 07E32C75-028B-4E04-AE7C-DFE2FAB57BE2.jpeg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski although you might not hear about all of the crime in Central Florida/Orlando (cause it's the House of the Mouse) trust me it is here and crazy. My wife moved here from home (the Cayman Islands) when we got married and after watching the local news for a while she was afraid to leave the house. I caution her even now that it is in certain areas so try to avoid those hotbeds. It's as bad as everywhere else I guess and maybe more so in some places.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski although you might not hear about all of the crime in Central Florida/Orlando (cause it's the House of the Mouse) trust me it is here and crazy. My wife moved here from home (the Cayman Islands) when we got married and after watching the local news for a while she was afraid to leave the house. I caution her even now that it is in certain areas so try to avoid those hotbeds. It's as bad as everywhere else I guess and maybe more so in some places.
Saint Louis is also pretty partitioned as far as crime maps but it seems crime is spreading these days and sheer numbers are just brutal.

It does not help people here are just becoming accustomed to seeing crazy staff all the time, to the point it is hard to tell sometimes what it is you are witnessing...
Okay, some of it is just... is hilarious.

What does it take to make people think something is up, in this town???? lolol A car pushing another through a major medical campus in the middle of the day? I laughed out loud this morning reading this report from our security force, you just can't make this up...:

Incident: Auto Theft on the School of Medicine Campus
Date/Time: January 16, 2019/Approx. 9:20 a.m.
Specifics: This memo is to advise you of an auto theft on the School of Medicine campus on January 16, 2019. The circumstances of that incident follow.

On the afternoon of January 16, a WUSM employee of the 4480 Clayton Ave. Building reported his Dodge Charger was missing from that building’s south surface parking lot, where he parked that morning.

A review of video captured by our closed circuit television (CCTV) system revealed that at about 9:20 a.m., two unknown male subjects entered the lot in a Mazda CX9. They parked in an open spot, and one of the men exited the CX9. He approached our employee’s Charger, quickly defeated the driver’s side door lock, and entered the car. He worked in the area of the car’s dashboard, apparently in an effort to place the car in neutral and disable its integral steering system lock. This man remained in the Charger. The driver of the CX9 pulled behind the Charger. He used the CX9 to push the Charger off the lot and north on Taylor Ave. through campus and up into the Central West End.

This incident was reported to the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department. Protective Services will support that agency’s investigation of this matter. A query of the CX9’s license plate registration revealed it to be likely stolen also.

These subjects appeared to be highly skilled and possibly “professional” car thieves. They deftly defeated the Charger’s door, gear, and steering lock mechanisms. Most casual passersby would have recognized none of their actions as suspicious. However, the thieves’ use of one vehicle to push another through campus is the part of this story we hope everyone will take note of to become better educated and more vigilant.

Precautions:

--

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Done. I stole a home in S. Daytona, 3 miles from campus. Nice little neighborhood with no through street. Met the established (20 years plus) neighbors across street. Each old guy (like me) pointed out "ERAU professor in that house; sheriff over there; sheriff up there; hvac guy there; etc etc " A well established non-dirtball non transient neighborhood with long term folks living there. Block rambler, new roof, new inside, 2 car garage. Got it 30% under asking price, and ten percent unde the exact house across the street which just settled, and was in not as nice shape as the one I picked up. Was going to go self directed IRA to pay for it, but acct said use it as a rental investment and it will help greatly on my taxes. Will rent for twice the mortgage. Sell it in 3 years for what I paid and I am happy. Kid loved it, but not as much as some of the "exclusive" neighborhoods we looked into. You know, the ones with HOA rules which climb up your ass. I will have none of that! Thanks for the help, all!

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Funny a year later I see this post while searching for another....bought a different place than above which is only a mile from campus. 2 of my daughter's friends rented/paid the mortgage, and they move out next month. Hope to find one new tenant for fall semester, but if not? I like the house so much I'll go down and stay awhile.