• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possible Impeller issue? NEWBIE

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The other day I pulled my sea doo boat from the water as it was cavitating pretty bad. Just a simple stick (was jealous of you Yamaha owners and your clean out ports for a hot second there).

while i was down there, I noticed a slight gap? Between my impeller and the drive shaft it looks like. Along with a small amount of rust. I’m a new jet boat owner - less than 2 weeks - is this something that’s normal? Or should I fix it.
1D2D13BE-45B6-4270-86BD-5FB5FE957176.jpeg87EA9152-11EE-4B58-8D80-1087D6D1C5D6.jpeg

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It contains iron so rust is possible. Staying wet will accelerate rust. I do not think it is a problem. I would inspect from time to time.

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The other day I pulled my sea doo boat from the water as it was cavitating pretty bad. Just a simple stick (was jealous of you Yamaha owners and your clean out ports for a hot second there).

while i was down there, I noticed a slight gap? Between my impeller and the drive shaft it looks like. Along with a small amount of rust. I’m a new jet boat owner - less than 2 weeks - is this something that’s normal? Or should I fix it.
View attachment 122776View attachment 122777
Somewhat hard to judge from your pictures but it looks like the impeller boot is showing threads or missing. Also you seem to have a gap that needs to be checked on your wear ring, possible source or cavitation.

If there was no obstruction and it was me: I would pull the pump out to check the impeller boot, check there is no water inside the pump, bearing condition (smooth movement), and check the wear ring clearance.

I'm attaching a picture of my pump so that you can see how the impeller boot should look. There should not be a gap near the impeller.

Attachments

Last edited:

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Somewhat hard to judge from your pictures but it looks like the impeller boot is showing threads or missing. Also you seem to have a gap that needs to be checked on your wear ring, possible source or cavitation.

If there was no obstruction and it was me: I would pull the pump out to check the impeller boot, check there is no water inside the pump, bearing condition (smooth movement), and check the wear ring clearance.

I'm attaching a picture of my pump so that you can see how the impeller boot should look. There should not be a gap near the impeller.
That gap in my picture is what was worrying me... Ive been on the water 3-4 times since but it still doesnt look normal. I can get by with fixing mechanical problems on cars and such, but this is my first boat. I can access this by going in from the nozzle and leaving the intake grate on, correct?

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
That gap in my picture is what was worrying me... Ive been on the water 3-4 times since but it still doesnt look normal. I can get by with fixing mechanical problems on cars and such, but this is my first boat. I can access this by going in from the nozzle and leaving the intake grate on, correct?
Yes, you remove the pump from the nozzle side, no need to remove the grate.
This should give you an idea of the process to take it off.
p.s. not suggesting you have to change your ring, the video is just so that you can see how the system works.

Last edited:

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Yes, you remove the pump from the nozzle side, no need to remove the grate.
This should give you an idea of the process to take it off.
p.s. not suggesting you have to change your ring, the video is just so that you can see how the system works.
Guess i have myself a little weekend project! Thanks for the video

Kyle Mekulik

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
That’s a aftermarket solas impeller in there and the green impeller boot needs to be reinstalled with loctite that might be your source of cavitation...

JTrottaNY

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
^^^ What he said, not a bad job to pull the impeller off and resecure that boot. IIRC it is ussually packed with grease which yours has likely lost. Might want to invest in the correct grease before you pull it apart, also loctite 518 for the pump seals - if it was re-insalled correctly youll probably see the sticky red residue when you pull it off.

If it were me and I was going that far I would take a look at the o-rings on the pump housing, neoprene seal and wear ring while I was in there.